Catapult

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Varky

Catapult

Post by Varky »

Does anyone know where I can buy a catapult to scare off a couple of pigeons that insist on parading alongside my pool, defecating as they go along.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Catapult

Post by Dominic »

I've been looking myself, to scare off swallow-eating magpies. I went into the Fish and Game shop opposite Chris Cool, and they looked at me as if I had trodden in dogsmuck when I asked. I think their advice would be to use a shot gun.

If anybody does know, please do tell. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Several of the shops down the Harbour had them in carved wood in the shape of various animals and they were quite good, strongly made and very powerful elastic - But when i was rooting around down there last week i do not recall seeing any but that does not mean they are not there just seen them that many times it would not register.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Fishing shop is your best bet, as anglers use catapults to spread bait out into the water, before casting their hook and line

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Bait slingers aren't that good for accuracy. I tried a number of catapults like the Black Widow, a while ago. They could send a ball bearing a serious distance. They did tend to break fairly easily though.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

If you can't find a catapult you could try fencing staples and an elastic band between your thumb and first finger. I can recall messing around with them as a child and you may be able to get the fencing staples in one of the hardware shops. Probably a lot less lethal than a catapult too.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 am
Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 pmI think their advice would be to use a shot gun.
Would be my preferred option too if I had a gun, which I don't. Cue roars of outrage from the 'ban fox-hunting' brigade :lol:
Never mind the fox hunting brigade, think of the damage that could be done in the background, especially if the pigeons are on the ground around the pool. Otherwise I would go along with the shotgun method.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am Most of the pigeons around our house seem to like perching on and in the rain gutters for some obsure reason. The neighbour's Scary Bird still works remarkably well after several months use. I see quite a lot of these devices around. They are very effective, but require a lot of free space around them to work as they should.
As opposed to the fake owl that sits by our pool and regularly acts as a perch. :x
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The perfect solution is here
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

use the old sling shot type Cyps used back in the 70,s, bit of thick elastic,thick piece of leather eye patch shape thread one end through each hole knot it off , buckshot stones bearings, grip between finger and thumb and pull back,aim fire,as you let go of it[leather pouch bit] drop hand a tad , hurts like heck hitting thumb!
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 am
Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:18 pmI think their advice would be to use a shot gun.

Would be my preferred option too if I had a gun, which I don't. Cue roars of outrage from the 'ban fox-hunting' brigade :lol:
just had the Master of foxhounds on the phone "sorry to hear that your dog was injured" was his "apology". He then went on to say that it was my word against his hunts mans about what happened and that as his hounds "walk past dogs and children all the time and this has never happened before" that it must therefore be my fault. I was also told that I seemed unconcerned that one of his hounds also needed to see a vet. He was slightly taken aback when I quoted the Dangerous Dogs legislation at him. This is far from over :roll: This was taken from the internet ? just copy and past the content ? Glad you find it funny HIC :roll: :evil:
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Says a lot about you to be honest and i really thought u was an ok bloke ? how wrong was I
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

A shotgun is a bit OTT for a pigeon, unless you seriously intend to kill it for for food! Quite tasty, actually- a bit like a mix of chicken and rabbit, if I recall? But you'd have to remove all the lead pellets from it, as well as plucking it...

I think the answer here is a .177 Webley Air Pistol. It will not kill the pigeon, but just scare it enough to think twice before coming back! Whereas a .22 air rifle would kill it, ready for the table, after plucking...

In the country pub I used to frequent daily, I knew a Pheasant Plucker!

Cheers- AL ;)
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 pm We're not talking about dogs here Mark, we're talking about pigeons; which along with rats, mice, houseflies and mossies are unwelcome houseguests /vermin so far as I am concerned.
So why mention us fox brigade ? What they do is barbaric and cruel :twisted . To be honest us humans are far more a threat to this planet than foxes ! if humans was not on this earth it would be a better place :roll:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mark

Lloyd's always saying things in jest. Personally I think he posts before engaging his brain at times, poor old soul. ;)

Only joking Lloyd.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

And Lloyd was replying to Dominic in the post with his smiley... So I think that Mark has taken a rather 'general' reply from Lloyd as something of a personal insult?

That being the case, we'll all be scared shitless to actually comment or help here on PL, in case we offend anyone (who wasn't actually being replied to in the first instance)...

Cheers- AL :)
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Mark and I are both passionate about animal welfare.

Al

I don't think anyone on PL is scared to post, If so why belong to a forum titled 'general discussion'. As I see it, if you post, you can expect any reply that comes along within reason. Insults are nothing new, especially on the politics boards, ask Lloyd. :)

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Good job you've got broad shoulders Lloyd ;)

Jackie
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

After a long history of frequenting local pubs on a daily basis, I quickly learned the main advice- "Never discuss Religion nor Politics in a pub!"

Haven't been near a pub in around 4 years now... Instead, I sit in here in my office in the afternoon browsing and replying to PL posts, sipping the odd glass of whisky or brandy. So I still abide by the same pub rules, LOL! That's why you never see me in the Political section...

It was SO hard to bite my tongue and NOT respond to the ISIS back bite (between two other members) in another thread, but I managed it, I'm glad to say!

Cheers- AL ;)
Varky

Post by Varky »

Crikey, how did it come to this? All I asked was if anyone knew where I could buy a catapult.