Recommendations for Troodos Hotel

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Recommendations for Troodos Hotel

Post by kansas »

We'd like to spend a couple of nights towards the end of this month in one of the hotels in the Troodos area.

Can anyone recommend a 4 or 5 star hotel?

Thanks in advance
Lincoln

Re: Recommendations for Troodos Hotel

Post by Lincoln »

We ALWAYS go the the Forest Park Hotel. Look on google.
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

From a quick Bing search, it looks like Troodos Hotel seems favourite? Loads of TripAdvisor reviews to browse through, too..

www.troodoshotel.com

No doubt, others here on PL will offer other suggestions, based on their experience of actually staying over up there (which I must admit, I haven't). Wherever you decide on, enjoy!

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Forest Park Hotel is very comfortable and in a lovely setting with outdoor swimming pool and the grounds are shaded by pine trees. You could also look at The Mill at Kakopetria which is in a converted watermill, very different, but also a comfortable place to stay with good food.

Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

:)
Gone but not forgotten...
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Can recommend both Kakopetria The Mill and Forest Park.
Louise :)
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The Mill is very good....the house specially is stream trout with lemon butter....excellent .....also The Apokryfo in Lofou is excellent if you have a large wallet.....
Steve Matthews

Post by Steve Matthews »

I've stayed several times at the Troodos Hotel and always found it to be very pleasant. The view from the dining room and most of the bedrooms is spectacular. It's a great base for walking in the surrounding forests.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thank you all, much appreciated. We've just booked The Mill. The Forest Park Hotel was fully booked so we can try that another time, but both look very good.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

kansas wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:41 am Thank you all, much appreciated. We've just booked The Mill. The Forest Park Hotel was fully booked so we can try that another time, but both look very good.
How did you find your stay kansas? I am compiling a list of hotels for the directory at the moment, so would welcome any feedback.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
boomboom

Post by boomboom »

There are no 4/5 star hotels inTroodos. Repeat No 4/5 star
Forest Park akin to a care home.
The Mill is very comfortable with a very good restaurant, the trout and breakfast excellent
I shall await the trolls
kansas

Post by kansas »

Hi Dominic

The Mill house is very traditional, the rooms are quite dark but this fits in with the overall theme and area. The staff were very efficient and friendly. We met the owner, an 80 odd year old, with a ponytail and a friendly attitude. We stayed during during the week towards the end of July when, surprisingly, it wasn't very busy although the restaurant was popular with locals. We were told that the hotel is very popular with Nicosia based Cypriots who visit during weekends and all of August and over Christmas. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the quietest times both for the hotel, and the town. Adjacent to the hotel is the river, and there is a great nature walk alongside this with various bridges so you can cross over and visit the old village, which is something quite spectacular. We would certainly return to the hotel to use as a base to visit the surrounding areas.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ta. Looking at pictures on the internet, we actually visited there last autumn and walked along the nature trails. It looked lovely.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Friends of ours stayed at the Forest Park (between Christmas and New Year 2012), they booked for 2 nights but left after the first and went to stay at the Apollonia in Limassol for the next night. They said it was very tired looking, not clean, damp, cold and miserable.

Didn't help because the weather wasn't very good but they said it was akin to an ancient 2 star hotel.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Hardly fair to the Hotel to post a review from 5 years ago Photolady!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You neglect to mention the four reviews that appear after that one:

If you want unbridled luxury, go to the Hilton or one of the coastal hotels. They’re all the same, so it doesn’t matter which you choose. But if you value something truly special, stay here. There’s only one Forest Park Hotel. Built in the 30s, it retains the charm of another era, now gone from the rest of the world, but lingering in remarkable places like this. As you sit in the bar for a cocktail, or in the lounge after dinner, you feel that the past occupants from a more glamorous age have only just departed. The sense of history is palpable. Unfortunately we only had one night here. We can’t wait to go back.

We have visited this hotel several times in the past but this time after an absence of nearly 10 years. I can't recommend this hotel enough. The staff are friendly and more than willing to deal with any request no matter how small. It's fairly obvious that improvements have been made to ensure that guests feel at home and cared for. Eating in the refurbished dining room is a pleasure and the food is excellent - varied, well cooked and well presented. I've only given a 4 rating because the air conditioning is set to blow cooling air and at this time of year a chill wind was blowing and some heat
would have been welcome. However, I don't think it will be another 10 years before we come again.

I loved to have a weekend at Forest Park Hotel , especially nature , where it's located , Fresh and awesome ! The staff is very polite and friendly , Rooms are clean , atmosphere is relaxing and quiet.
The Hotel will be closed for renovation from November 2017 until Summer 2018 . I will definitely come back!

Always a lovely peaceful place to visit, with nice staff, great food & unique surrounds, we love this hotel, we visit every few years for a few days of relaxation, and it never fails, Hercules is a gentleman and always greets us with a smile and a warm welcome, we love the nostalgic look of the 60's, I do hope that never changes....
Anyway, keep doing what you're doing X

Key thing to note though, is that it will be closed for renovation over the Winter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

we had a weekend at the Forest Park over ten years ago, you can tell it was a grand Hotel back in the thirtys when King Farouk stayed there, what we saw was a run down hotel that had not seen a paint brush in years the bedroom was dusty and smelt of damp, the bath room had mould in it, and you really didnt want to use it, the food was below average, poor quality, the breakfast consisted of cold toast, some cuts of cheese/ham and massive bowls of cherrys yet they charged top doller, The other couple we went with were friends of the owners, so we didnt complain because we had no intention of ever returning, I repeat this was over ten years ago, I havent a clue what its like now.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

So there are recent excellent reviews and terrible reviews just goes to prove it is all subjective. Personally,whilst I admit I look at Trip Advisor I don't set much store by it. We took a holiday let for 8 weeks when we first returned to the UK whilst looking for our permanent home. The cottage had excellent reviews on TA but to our standards it was very poor indeed. It was shabby,scruffy,and certainly did not live up to the reviews in any way. I have noticed that for the odd person who has since posted a poor review there is always an excellent one to follow and I am sure the owner gets friends / family to post good reviews to keep it at the top of the page. Conversely when leaving Paphos we stayed at the Athena Beach Hotel for 3 nights after vacating our property and waiting for our flight. We could find no fault with this hotel at all and the food was excellent yet there were several poor reviews posted.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Or, probably the reason the reviews are so mixed may be due to the time of year people stay there......

Let's face it, if you're there between May to October, you're not likely to be spending too much time indoors looking at 4 walls. It's not helped by the fact it seems to have a 4 star rating when quite clearly, it isn't up to those standards. Enticing unwarranted expectations based on very old write ups about how the hotel was in its' hey day doesn't really help much either.

Booking.com certainly has very mixed reviews too but early summer and winter seem to get the poorest ones.

I found this review by the Telegraph Travel, they give it an overall 7/10: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... ark-hotel/
More interestingly, I then looked at reviews of what were considered the Best Hotels in Cyprus (again) by the Telegraph Travel: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... us/hotels/

Hopefully, the reviews will iron themselves out when the winter renovations have been completed.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

It is such a shame that people are knocking the Forest park Hotel. We go every year for a few days and have noticed the HUGE difference from when we first went in 2005. The new wing of the hotel is modern and the heating was very good.
As my wife has a few allergies we have to be careful what and where we eat. The catering staff could not do enough for us on each visit.

It is a true 4 star Hotel.

Nice to note that further upgrading and modernisation will be taking place
All things are possible