Pl v PP

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
markwoods39

Pl v PP

Post by markwoods39 »

I really thought this forum was going to fair and honest and let people have their views ? and not lock posts ? I do look on PP even though i am banned but the owner has asked valid questions ? and not locked the posts. Fair play to Neil. Is this site another CL ? who we cant express our views ? without it being locked or deleted once again ? :roll: All forums should be freedom of speech no matter what the admin thinks :roll: Just saying :mrgreen:

Bet i get banned from this site ? Oh well
PaphosAL

Re: Pl v PP

Post by PaphosAL »

100% agree with Lloyd and Hudswell here... Some of these contentious threads could leave Dom wide open to a potential law suit, simply for hosting it, for goodness sake...
Gone but not forgotten...
JimX

Post by JimX »

Mark, you never had any problems posting on CL if I remember correctly (I will check), all forum owners have to be very careful these days you just cannot allow members to post what could be inflammatory and in some cases, slanderous postings, who pays the legal cost's not you I think.
So leave Dominic to run the forum as he feels fit, if he needs to lock or remove a post or even members then so be it, that is his job, he pays for that privilege Mark.I do not in any way feel ashamed of the way we ran CL as those looking for trouble had the PP site to run to, no doubt they still do, Dominic not wishing to sound gushing is doing a good job of what is very difficult at times, this site certainly is not in a fight with any forum particularly the PP site that is for sure.

Lloyd for sure you do need a thick skin and patience to run any forum. :)
Last edited by JimX on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jim.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

markwoods39 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 pm I really thought this forum was going to fair and honest and let people have their views ? and not lock posts ? I do look on PP even though i am banned but the owner has asked valid questions ? and not locked the posts. Fair play to Neil. Is this site another CL ? who we cant express our views ? without it being locked or deleted once again ? :roll: All forums should be freedom of speech no matter what the admin thinks :roll: Just saying :mrgreen:

Bet i get banned from this site ? Oh well
No! this is not another CL - we don't want another one of those thank you.
Banned from PP eh!? Well join the club; he'll have nobody left on there soon; as he says maybe due to the summer heat affecting him.
Seems that it is PP that is more like the old CL.
Regards free speech etc there are legal ramifications of allowing anything; but on other forums the problem has been that the owner did not like some of the posts and operated what I call "owners censorship".
No such censorship on here that I know of, but Dominic DOES have to watch out for those legal ramifications.
Geoff.
Last edited by geoffreys on Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can only agree with the comments that have been posted above.. Am I am not sure that we need to be compared to another forum , or 'adopt' their way of doing things..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Thank you for all the comments in support. I can confirm that not wanting to get involved in a legal situation was one of the main reasons for locking the threads in question. But there was another reason too, which was this:

There was already a very public thread about this on PP. Both sides of the discussion were posting there, everybody knew that it was there, and in having another thread here, all that was happening was posts were getting duplicated. And when that happens bits get omitted, questions posted on one forum get answered on the other, and it all becomes a bloody mess.

So by locking the threads here, it means that people will all post in the same place, if they are not banned.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

I agree too. The only thing I would add is that I disagree with Markwoods39's statement that "All forums should be freedom of speech no matter what the admin thinks". That may be applicable if forums were democracies but they are not. They are dictatorships and we can only hope that this forum remains a benevolent dictatorship.

Pete

P.S. Freedom of Speech is an often used phrase. To my knowledge there is no total freedom of speech anywhere, particularly in the UK.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 am Hi Mark, I believe Admin have the right to lock posts which are potentially damaging or libellous. Other than that I believe Dominic runs this site with a fair and honest hand...and he does come across as having the patience of a saint ;)
Surprisingly, I agree with HiC on this one.

I found PP boring after CL.
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 am Hi Mark, I believe Admin have the right to lock posts which are potentially damaging or libellous. Other than that I believe Dominic runs this site with a fair and honest hand...and he does come across as having the patience of a saint ;)
Hi HIC :) Thank you for explaining but is it not down to the poster if they feel cheated on ? Its not damaging or libellous if its true ? I do respect you and trust your judgement :D
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Allesley wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 am Mark, you never had any problems posting on CL if I remember correctly (I will check), all forum owners have to be very careful these days you just cannot allow members to post what could be inflammatory and in some cases, slanderous postings, who pays the legal cost's not you I think.
So leave Dominic to run the forum as he feels fit, if he needs to lock or remove a post or even members then so be it, that is his job, he pays for that privilege Mark.I do not in any way feel ashamed of the way we ran CL as those looking for trouble had the PP site to run to, no doubt they still do, Dominic not wishing to sound gushing is doing a good job of what is very difficult at times, this site certainly is not in a fight with any forum particularly the PP site that is for sure.

Lloyd for sure you do need a thick skin and patience to run any forum. :)
Jim, we had a few problems in the past :lol: but you are are an ok bloke you just need to know there are tides in CY :lol: JOKE :mrgreen:
JimX

Post by JimX »

No tides Mark on the beaches I am on most days in the week, also my fisherman SIL said the same, he should know not landlubbers like most of us on forums. not a joke.... :)

I hope your well. I should let that old PP feud just die away, just post here leave those people to their own device they are not worth your time mate. Again how are forum owners to know what is not slanderous or is? do we have to hire our own detectives?

To be honest very surprised this thread has not been put in the pit.,
Jim.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Can I also add my agreement with the above. I like PL and the atmosphere here. That's not because I have been banned from PP, because I haven't, although I was from CL. But lets face it, who wasn't.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, I was from one, but not from the other :-)
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

josef k wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:09 pm That's not because I have been banned from PP, because I haven't, although I was from CL. But lets face it, who wasn't.
I wasn't..... I did have lots of PMs and emails over the last couple of years though, inviting me to leave, or else ;-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Anyway, let's bring this debate to a close now shall we? Otherwise, it will indeed be pit-bound. :roll:
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Allesley wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:56 am No tides Mark on the beaches I am on most days in the week, also my fisherman SIL said the same, he should know not landlubbers like most of us on forums. not a joke.... :)

I hope your well. I should let that old PP feud just die away, just post here leave those people to their own device they are not worth your time mate. Again how are forum owners to know what is not slanderous or is? do we have to hire our own detectives?

Glad you are ok Jim :) If the admin team feel needs this post be deleted so be it i would be ok with this
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Re the tides topic mentioned above, and w/o wanting to upset anyone, I think there is about 30cm of difference between low and high tide here. This is based on my observation when snorkeling today at the rocks at the far side of Lara bay where I could observe a high level water mark quite a bit higher than the water level was - might be a bit more pronounced there as it was in small bay.

Would roughly fit the tidal range that this website suggests for Limassol: https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations ... des/latest

A.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

markwoods39 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 pm
Allesley wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:56 am No tides Mark on the beaches I am on most days in the week, also my fisherman SIL said the same, he should know not landlubbers like most of us on forums. not a joke.... :)

Glad you are ok Jim :) If the admin team feel needs this post be deleted so be it i would be ok with this
The Pit is a section where argumentative posts go to fester. They aren't deleted, just moved out into the back alley where they can continue without disturbing other people.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Thumbs up from me on the way Dominic runs the forum, if there was a like button I would of used it, ;)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Me too on both points
Trev..