Private hospitals in Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Private hospitals in Paphos

Post by Dominic »

My family's experiences with hospitals in Cyprus is completely irrelevant, and up to us to share, not you. To describe all private doctors in Paphos as charlatans is silly, and grossly inaccurate. You may have found that those in your experience were charlatans, but unless you visited every private doctor in Paphos, you cannot possibly call them all charlatans.

Every country has bad doctors. We met plenty in the UK, but we also met plenty of excellent doctors.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Clearly Lifesabeach has not looked up the definition of charlatan.

Pete
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Having worked in a few of the private hospitals in Paphos and at various times been a patient and also having used the facilities at Paphos General Hospital I have found they operate in a similar way to other Mediterranean countries rather than the UK. The Doctor - Nurse relationship is such that the doctor tells the nurse what to do and she carries out the instructions whereas in the UK certain nurses can carry out certain tasks as part of their general duties. It is expected that family will look after the patient's personal needs, even down to making sure they take their medication. I have never been on a ward at Paphos General Hospital so cannot comment on the cleanliness or hygiene standards there but in the private sector, as a former infection control team member in the UK, have been more than happy with those in the private sector.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Pete,
Don't agree with your statement that no one will get ill as a result of dirty and badly maintained toilet facilities. Dirty non flushing toilets, plus no proper handwashing facilities in a part of the hospital where patients wait sometimes for hours to see a doctor is a health hazard in many ways. Germs like typhoid, cholera and less serious stomach upsets are more of a hazard in this very hot and humid weather.
Dee
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:45 pm Pete,
Don't agree with your statement that no one will get ill as a result of dirty and badly maintained toilet facilities. Dirty non flushing toilets, plus no proper handwashing facilities in a part of the hospital where patients wait sometimes for hours to see a doctor is a health hazard in many ways. Germs like typhoid, cholera and less serious stomach upsets are more of a hazard in this very hot and humid weather.
Dee
You are of course quite correct. I guess I was coming from the standpoint that I don't use toilets in this condition or without hand washing facilities.

Having said that I've not heard of any typhoid or cholera here but that may also reflect the generally excellent toilet facilities in the restaurants of Paphos. There is no doubt that the state of the toilets in the General is disgraceful and shameful.

Pete
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Pete,
No I don't use these toilets myself now having located some cleaner ones elsewhere, but I suspect that many others who are not very mobile or are less particular might....

I wonder who at the general has the responsibility for checking that cleaning and maintenance jobs are carried out there? I would report something serious like that if I knew.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

I agree with Dominic, instead of moaning on here or other forums, why don't you send that photo of the dirty toilet, to the Cyprus mail, or to the foreign press, then things might get done.. not only on this subject but others....I think some on here only want to have a daily moan.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Perhaps one of the MAIN hygiene defences ALL hospitals in Cypryus could deploy would be those anti-septic hand spray units strategically scattered around all areas of the establishment, like our NHS hospitals and dentists use now in UK?

But I reiterate- if visiting any hospital (no names, no pack drill), take your own soap dish, towel, toilet roll, and leave these behind for the patient you are visiting! Also take water, food and grapes, please (regularly) for them! Just in case they somehow become 'neglected' by the nurses...

God bless you all- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The General used to have those spray units all over the place. But gradually they have disappeared .
There may be ones on the wards still, but I don't see any in public areas now... But of course I don't travel everywhere in the General
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes they definitely have them on the wards. One at each ward entrance and inside too by the sink.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well that is good news
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I use antibacterial wet wipes - useful for all sorts of occasions!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ahem. I have looked into Like options and there is one available soon, however it is still in beta.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks Dominic for keeping us informed
Trev..