Private hospitals in Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Private hospitals in Paphos

Post by trevnhil »

I didn't even know that the General hospital had a F B page. But surely the staff at the hospital know what the place is like as they are there every day..

EDIT>>> I found the Paphos General F B page. The last entry is 5 May 2016 :(
Trev..
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

TLR wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:21 pm
PeteandSylvi wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 pm
TLR wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:14 pm
Cleanliness, good manners and kindness do not cost money but it seems that here in Cyprus all of those are at a premium.
Cleanliness costs a great deal of money in hospitals. The cost of dealing with MRSA in the UK was in millions.

I always feel that you can approach cleanliness on 2 fronts. The pictures shown above really refer to aesthetic cleanliness. That is not to justify the poor state of maintenance but no-one will get ill from it. Far more import is true hygiene which involves dealing with the invisible. Cyprus has not had to deal with MRSA to my knowledge which indicates that the hygiene level can't be that bad.

Pete
More like very good luck. Having seen the standards of hygiene as practiced by nursing staff who seem to have no concept of hand washing.
The piece de resistance was a nurse who breezed into the treatment bay where I was lying, tipped a urine sample down the treatment sink, spent the next ten minutes rearranging her hair, and exiting without rinsing the sink or washing her hands.
Nice.
I was more referring to the cleanliness of the wards in Paphos General rather than the staff.

In general I have found the Doctors and Consultants extremely arrogant, at times downright rude and generally disrespectful to patients. I believe this is due to their antiquated attitudes where they do not see patients, instead they see illnesses. Thus patient consideration is minimal. This attitude prevails right through to the registration staff and other clerical staff who simply have never been educated to do their jobs properly and therefore do not know how to deal with people pleasantly.

The greatest shame is the attitude towards nursing staff who seem to be permitted to do the minimum of patient nursing. I do not know the level they are trained to but so many of them just seem to carry out "clearing up" operations and clerical duties.

I would judge this to be the fault of management who are not skilled enough or knowledgeable enough to improve care for patients. No doubt they are also hampered by the Unions who, in Cyprus, are the biggest handicap to progress.

Pete
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My wife is currently regularly using private hospitals and in particular is having treatment at one of them.
The attitude of every single person there is Brilliant. From the reception, to the nurses and the doctors..
This is one reason my wife has chosen to go down the 'private' route on this occasion.
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Quality post, Pete...

Maybe they should send a high level bod out here to UK and work alongside Macmillan nurses, in order to see how it should be done properly, day and night, particularly palliative care...

Cheers- AL
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:22 pm I didn't even know that the General hospital had a F B page. But surely the staff at the hospital know what the place is like as they are there every day..

EDIT>>> I found the Paphos General F B page. The last entry is 5 May 2016 :(
Businesses don't put facebook pages etc up for the benefit of their staff. They put them there to liaise with the public.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paphos-G ... 0299012048

You can actually review them on their facebook page here. I suggest people with complaints do that, rather than post complaints here. Or post a facebook review and repeat it here. That way, there is more chance that somebody in power will actually see your complaint.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wasn't saying that business's put FB pages up for staff. What I was trying to point out was that the staff of the hospital are there every day and see the disgusting conditions.. Some of those staff are the ones running a FB page. The fact that is it 12 months since there was a comment seems to say that the page is not very well used.
Trev..
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

PaphosAL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:56 pm Quality post, Pete...

Maybe they should send a high level bod out here to UK and work alongside Macmillan nurses, in order to see how it should be done properly, day and night, particularly palliative care...

Cheers- AL
Thanks, Al. Sadly I don't think the solution is a simple as your suggestion. I wish it was. Given that most of the Doctors have trained out of Cyprus they have been exposed to far better practices already. I truly believe that the main problems stems from management as I believe that the attitude of staff on the "shop floor" is a reflection of their management. This, coupled with the power of the unions, creates an uphill stumbling block to progress.

It requires the government to take on the unions and defeat their restrictive practices (not just for the health service!) plus a sea-change in the arrogant attitudes against seeking advice that Cypriot politicians and managers often display. The worst example of this was the arrogance of the previous President whose refusal to accept the most skilled advice when freely offered resulted in the deaths of 14 at the Zygi Naval Base explosion.

The sad thing is that I don't believe there is a lack of skill or capability in the medical profession particularly as Cyprus rates reasonably in the WHO comparison tables. There is however a woeful lack of organisational and project management skill to achieve change and improvements in working practices.

Pete
TLR

Post by TLR »

Cheers- AL
I'm not sure it's possible to teach empathy and compassion.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:15 pm I wasn't saying that business's put FB pages up for staff. What I was trying to point out was that the staff of the hospital are there every day and see the disgusting conditions.. Some of those staff are the ones running a FB page. The fact that is it 12 months since there was a comment seems to say that the page is not very well used.
The link I posted was to an unofficial page, with over 143 reviews posted by people who have visited. Currently, it has a rating 0f 3.4 out of 5.

Perhaps people should post their reviews there, as I suggested? Sooner or later, somebody will notice them.

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mike Strand can I please post your pictures on the Paphos General Face book page anonymously of course ?
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

TLR wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Cheers- AL
Yes it is, TLR! My younger sister Lyne took a Uni degree in Palliative Care, and loves her new career! If peeps can do this in UK, then surely it should be available in Cyprus, in order to help the older population in their dying days?

In fact, Macmillans nurses were still calling us up to 48 hours after, expressing sincere condolences and asking if we needed help... They are angels, they really are. And you need an outfit like them in Cyprus, IMHO...

AL :(
Last edited by PaphosAL on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm not sure that Mike Strands remark that no one will get ill when we have been talking about filthy conditions in hospital toilets is strictly true, especially if there is no provision for washing ones hands with soap after visting a toilet which is probably crawling with germs of all kinds...

Dee
Last edited by Kili01 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TLR

Post by TLR »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:57 pm
trevnhil wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:15 pm I wasn't saying that business's put FB pages up for staff. What I was trying to point out was that the staff of the hospital are there every day and see the disgusting conditions.. Some of those staff are the ones running a FB page. The fact that is it 12 months since there was a comment seems to say that the page is not very well used.
The link I posted was to an unofficial page, with over 143 reviews posted by people who have visited. Currently, it has a rating 0f 3.4 out of 5.

Perhaps people should post their reviews there, as I suggested? Sooner or later, somebody will notice them.

People in hospital are frequently the victims of Stockholm Syndrome.
Most people are unlikely to make negative comments for that reason, but even if they did it would make little difference.
Vide the Cyprus Mail article, but the same phenomenon pervades the NHS.
Misplaced gratitude for what should be a basic right in any civilised society combined with a unionised and self regarding work force renders any kind of constructive criticism pointless.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

It is easy to complain at Paphos General. We were told by one nurse which floor and which door no to find the Hospital Director so up we went without any appointment and just knocked and walked in. He was somewhat surprised but was courteous and listened but although he made promises they were empty promises and he did nothing. Cypriots will not be told by english that they are in the wrong.
By the way sorry to hear your wife is not well Trev and hope she recovers soon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness"
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Once you know these third world condititions prevail at the General, go prepared!

Soap
Toilet Roll
Towel
Anti-Bacterial hand wash
Food and drink for patient
BIG tip for Matron

Am I right, or right here? ATB- AL :roll:
TLR

Post by TLR »

PaphosAL wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:07 pm
TLR wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Cheers- AL
Yes it is, TLR! My younger sister Lyne took a Uni degree in Palliative Care, and loves her new career! If peeps can do this in UK, then surely it should be available in Cyprus, in order to help the older population in their dying days?

In fact, Macmillans nurses were still calling us up to 48 hours after, expressing sincere condolences and asking if we needed help... They are angels, they really are. And you need an outfit like them in Cyprus, IMHO...

AL :(
But Al, the very fact that your sister chose such a career option proves that she already had a healthy dose of empathy and compassion.
Otherwise she would have decided to become an accountant.
Frankly I do not believe that any amount of education or training can give people a heart, it's either there or it's not.
But I do share your admiration for MacMillan Nurses, and from my own personal experience Marie Curie Nurses, they are all very very special people who make a dreadfully painful experience almost bearable.
And yes, Cyprus does need something similar, but a good start would be nursing staff who just gave a monkeys, even for the most routine patients.
Hope you are ok, Al, i know what you are going through.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Appreciated, TLR, but I just wish I could help you good folks out there in Cyprus more, particularly on the Ambulance front...

Cyprus joined the EU in May 2004. She agreed to abide by the EU standards. Here we are, 17 years later, and what have they done about island wide ambulances with onboard paramedics?

Jack bloody shit! How are the Cy Gov allowed to get away with this disgrace by the EU?
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Re the Macmillan nurses in the UK, I am sure they do excellent work but I must say that the Cancer Support Group and PASYKAF nurses are excellent in Paphos and carry out home visits in a very caring manner. When we used them a few years ago they were of mixed nationalities - Cypriot, Romanian ( I think!) and British although this is a Charity and not a state service
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Poppy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 pm Re the Macmillan nurses in the UK, I am sure they do excellent work but I must say that the Cancer Support Group and PASYKAF nurses are excellent in Paphos and carry out home visits in a very caring manner. When we used them a few years ago they were of mixed nationalities - Cypriot, Romanian ( I think!) and British although this is a Charity and not a state service
Thank you for your reassuring words, Poppy! That is very good info for all members here on PL to know! God bless you- AL :o