Memorial to "The Five" 10th July

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

Memorial to "The Five" 10th July

Post by Mrblobby »

The Bell 206 helicopter crashed on July 10th 2002 killing five military passengers. The memorial is dedicated to the Lieutenant General Evaghelos Florakis (Ευάγγελος Φλωράκης) Chief of National Guard; to Stylianos Demenayas (Στυλιανός Δεμέναγας) ΔΑ/ΓΕΕΦ Commander; to Squadron Leader Paris Athanasiadis (Πάρις Αθανασιάδης); to Lieutenant Nikolas Georgiou (Νικόλας Γεωργίου); and to the First Lieutenant Michalis Siakallis (Μιχάλης Σιακαλλής).

The memorial was commissioned by the private committee for the Kouklia officers’ commemoration, the Kouklia Community, the Pan-Hellenic Special Forces Federation and the Commandos Cypriot Association. The unveiling took place on July 6th 2003.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.94 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
LouiseCastricum

Re: Memorial to "The Five" 10th July

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thanks for sharing. I do remember this tragic accident.
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We visited there a couple of years ago, because there is a geocache nearby. It is a lovely, peaceful memorial.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

I came across the memorial by accidental a few weeks ago and wonder what it's about. The gate was firmly locked at the time.

Thanks for the info.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Miyagi wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:44 pm I came across the memorial by accidental a few weeks ago and wonder what it's about. The gate was firmly locked at the time.

Thanks for the info.
That was some accident! It is fairly remote.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Lifesabeach wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 pm
Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm That was some accident! It is fairly remote.
Not too remote for the people of Kouklia, Dominic, nor for the families involved.
You misunderstood what I meant. The accident I was referring to is the person who said they found the monument by accident.

I have added a quote to my post to make it clearer, because otherwise it would be rather insensitive. :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I was here at the time when this accident happened. It happened at night as the helicopter was transporting some senior officer home after some sort of event.
Seems the pilot may have flown into power lines or some such...

Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

They have red lights on pylon cables to stop geese and ducks flying into them in some areas.

But not near me, by J11 M1, with a main north to south pylon system running on my side of the M1. And the main L&D A&E Hospital just the other side of the pylons, less than a mile south of me.

Quite often, we get the Air Ambulance (and huge military) helicopters coming in to the hospital (or rather, a local junior school playing field, where an ambulance is waiting for the last half mile journey to A&E...)

How these helicopter pilots dodge those pylon cables beggars belief in my mind!!

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...