New Paphos walkway opened.. CYWeekly)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

New Paphos walkway opened.. CYWeekly)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: New Paphos walkway opened.. CYWeekly)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Here one can see how it looked 2015 before the walkway was done...

Max
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I remember in the day when the only hotel on that stretch was the Cypria Maris......a great favourite of the locals on a Saturday night............
Great now to be able to walk along by the sea to the Almyra...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Yioula wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:20 pm I remember in the day when the only hotel on that stretch was the Cypria Maris......a great favourite of the locals on a Saturday night............
Great now to be able to walk along by the sea to the Almyra...
Yeah, I also remember Paphos in 1976 when I stayed some weeks at the Paphos Beach Bungalows (today Almyra) with its sandy beach... :( it was a little bit similar to the Mare Monte Hotel near Kyrenia where I used to spend my holidays from 1970-1974. I only missed the nice Kyrenia mountains and the excellent food there...
Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The photo used in the OP's post was one looking along the harbour sea front.
The new walkway has been finished for a while now! We walked along it last winter and spring. Yes, it certainly makes walking along that stretch of the sea front easier as it is now, as the old path used to be muddy in wet weather!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 am The photo used in the OP's post was one looking along the harbour sea front.
The new walkway has been finished for a while now! We walked along it last winter and spring. Yes, it certainly makes walking along that stretch of the sea front easier as it is now, as the old path used to be muddy in wet weather!

Dee
That puzzled me too. We walked the outlaws along the walkway back to their hotel in March a few times, from the harbour. However, there were still a few piles of paving slabs around, so perhaps this marks them actually finishing it completely?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 am
Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 am The photo used in the OP's post was one looking along the harbour sea front.

Dee
That puzzled me too. We walked the outlaws along the walkway back to their hotel in March a few times, from the harbour. However, there were still a few piles of paving slabs around, so perhaps this marks them actually finishing it completely?
I am surprised that it is already finished as the tenders for the 200.000 euro job were only in April 17! :!: But if is really finished then well done Paphos municipally and Deputy Mayor...

http://talanews.blogspot.com.cy/2017/04 ... lkway.html

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They must have added extras since we walked along it in March then! I can feel a blog article coming along...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

All they have done is concreted parts which were rough gravel, mainly the SODAP stretch and also bits in front of the Imperial and Alexander the Great Hotels. They have also put in lighting, not at ground level but slightly higher on white concrete pillars. Also, white concrete seating, which, no doubt, will soon be covered in graffiti. The stretch before Penelope's Church, and Phaethon Beach Hotel, is still as it always has been, rough ground and was a nightmare walking across in May, as the local youths had been out in their souped up vehicles and churned it up. It was so bad, I started my walk at the church. They had also managed to churn up the lawns of a couple of the closed hotel.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

This has been mine and Mrs favourite walk for a few years. We Always stop off at the caravan shop we call it on the grass area where the life saving station is. 3 Scoops and off we go again back up near the water park and then ready for 3 more scoops at the triangle. Before we get home we have had 6 scoops and no froth Max.
J B

Post by J B »

Anarita John wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 pm They have also put in lighting,
Does it work now?

We complained in 2015 that the lights weren't working and they "forwarded my message to the relevant department"
I complained in 2016 .............. ditto!!

:roll:
J B
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Have not been in the dark yet, but the old lighting was awful and I cannot see how this will be any better. There are lots of stretches where there has been no improvement to the lighting. They are supposed to be lighting the whole path from Penelope's Church to Paphos. There were sections when I last walked it at the end of June that would be completely unlit.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

We did the path tonight with the kids on their three scooters. A tremendous improvement - wide and well designed with plenty of lights and benches. The very regularly spaced lights are about a metre above ground so should last much longer than the previous ones. There are also proper street lights, similar as the new ones in the old town, every so often. But alas, both set of lights are not working yet 🤔 (connection/cables yet to be made). In a full moon night no problem w/o light as there are no tripping hazards and the path is smooth and wide. A real joy to walk on (or use scooters).
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lofos-5 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:29 am We did the path tonight with the kids on their three scooters. A tremendous improvement - wide and well designed with plenty of lights and benches. The very regularly spaced lights are about a metre above ground so should last much longer than the previous ones. There are also proper street lights, similar as the new ones in the old town, every so often. But alas, both set of lights are not working yet 🤔 (connection/cables yet to be made). In a full moon night no problem w/o light as there are no tripping hazards and the path is smooth and wide. A real joy to walk on (or use scooters).
Thank you very much for the update. So this will perhaps stop people moaning. :) And we are in Cyprus and always a bit late finishing things completely. But siga, siga it will happen soon. (Will send some "cables" to the Deputy Mayor) :lol:

Max
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

At the start of the walkway, at the municipal bath, where Pizza Hut is, there was another Paphos 2017 performance last night. I think it was called "Vibes of Life (or Death?)" and was a performance by Erasmus students from all across Europe as far as we could gather. Good show and a brilliant night out. Paphos 2017 really is on the up!

PS. Tonight an exhibition will open at 8pm at the Municipal Gallery. Need to check where that is, it will be open every day but Sunday from 9:00am.