Cyprus dog owners complain too much

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Cyprus dog owners complain too much

Post by memory man »

While Cyprus fulfills its obligations on dog beaches, I agree with many that the effort is somewhat half­hearted.

However, I am of the mind that the dog beaches announced last week are a darn sight better than nothing.

I’m losing my patience with dog owners who somehow think that whatever the authorities establish is somehow never enough for their pets.

Most comments I hear about the local dog beaches near Achelia and Neo Chorio is that they are remote, unkempt, unpleasant and regular beaches should be made available instead.

I hear umpteen comparisons to dog beaches owners have experienced elsewhere which had all the bells and whistles, including cafés for dog owners, dog­washing facilities, kiosks selling doggy snacks, speed dating for dogs looking for a mate, pedicures for bitches and tattoos for both genders plus canine counseling.

(Okay, I’m being facetious about these last three points, but sometimes I think such features are not too far off what many dog owners expect for their pets).

I have noticed that many dog owners have a blind spot about their pets. Because they love them, they think everyone else should.

Because the dog has never turned on them, they are convinced it will never turn on anyone and nobody should be afraid of it.

Because they think their pet should be entitled to walk along any available beach, they think everyone should feel the same way.

But the fact is that some people are afraid of dogs. Some like them, but are concerned about canine hygiene in public areas. Others simply downright dislike them.

Nothing any dog owner says or does is going to change this overnight.

Beach killing

Does anyone remember, around 10 years ago, how a Paphos teacher just starting his summer holiday was rammed and killed by a twin­cab driver on a Polis beach who was incensed that the man was walking a dog there?

In this horrible incident, the dog was killed as well.

Add this kind of scenario to dog poisonings and the filthy looks anyone who has walked a dog around a residential area gets from neighbours and a picture emerges of an environment that is, sadly, often unwelcoming for dogs.

Against this unfortunate backdrop, surely dog owners should make the most of the beaches designated for their pets?

Apart from anything else, it isn’t fair to put an animal at risk just because its owner has no tolerance for other people’s fear or dislike of dogs.

I’m beginning to wonder if the dog owners who I hear complaining about what is on offer are actually unhappy that the dog beaches are unpleasant for them rather than for their dogs.

I write this because I have walked along the dog beach at Achelia and I have never seen any miserable dogs there.

I’ve seen them ecstatically tearing along the surf, barking joyfully at the sea and frolicking around with new canine playmates.

I don’t think dogs are complaining about their beaches and surely that is the main thing.

source:- http://in-cyprus.com/cyprus-dog-owners- ... -too-much/
WHL

Re: Cyprus dog owners complain too much

Post by WHL »

Some good points made.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Indeed, perhaps I should visit with my camera and see if I can snap some unhappy canines?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:40 am Some good points made.
Not some - MANY good points made :!:

Max
die6

Post by die6 »

Just returned from Cornwall. Absolutely lovely to see so many dog owners with their babies everywhere, on the beaches, in the cafes, in the gardens........Weather was not too bad, so on the beaches a lot of families with kids and dogs, all having fun.
Why is it such a problem here????
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

die6

It's a problem anywhere that dogs defecate, I certainly don't want my grandchildren playing on a beach covered in dog dirt. In hot weather it smells, attracts flies, and if the animal is not wormed, can be very dangerous for children's health, nor do I think that dogs should be allowed in cafes.

I have cats, when I go out, they stay at home. I know some people do not like cats, therefore I do not inflict them on anyone else, nor do I expect everyone to tolerate them jumping up on them and sniffing around them. Either use the facilities provided for you, or leave them at home. One or two individuals have even had the nerve to expect to bring a dog into my home, and believe that I should put my cats out to accommodate their dog, you couldn't make it up ! Needless to say their requests were denied.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
die6

Post by die6 »

firefly
Never seen dogs defecate at the beach where people are. No problem, if yes, to collect it. (would be phantastic if humans would collect their mess also)
People pee into the water and leave so much 'shit' everywhere.
Just the question why other countries obviously don't have a problem with well behaved dogs and responspible owners on the beach and other places.
We have 4 dogs. 3 are not interested in water, 1 definitely is and it's absolute fun to swim with her at our 'secret' places , what we do regularly for years. She belongs to the family and loves swimming, so what?
Believe me, what I see there is left from humans!!
Was real fun in Cornwall and noone had a problem.....Maybe the heat in Cyprus drives the people crazy :D
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

But there are Cornish beaches where dogs aren't allowed as well. So I really don't see your point.
WHL

Post by WHL »

die6 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 pm firefly
Never seen dogs defecate at the beach where people are. No problem, if yes, to collect it. (would be phantastic if humans would collect their mess also)
Just the question why other countries obviously don't have a problem with well behaved dogs and responspible owners on the beach and other places.
We have 4 dogs. 3 are not interested in water, 1 definitely is and it's absolute fun to swim with her at our 'secret' places , what we do regularly for years. She belongs to the family and loves swimming, so what?
Was real fun in Cornwall and noone had a problem.....Maybe the heat in Cyprus drives the people crazy :D

Some dont mind breaking the law?....yet many on here complain about Cypriots not following the laws of the country.... :roll:
emgee

Post by emgee »

No dogs in eating establishments please. We leave ours at home in cool conditions where he is very comfortable, not annoying other customers dining all around them.

Alan
die6

Post by die6 »

Beaches were dogs are allowed all year long:
Benoath Cove
Boobys Beach
Bossiney Haven
Constantine Bay
Coverack (but dogs must be on leads from June 1 to August 31)
Crantock
Daymer Bay
Deadmans Cove
Downderry
Duckpool Beach
Eastern Green
Fistral Newquay
Freathy
Gorran Haven
Great Western Beach Newquay
Greenaway Beach
Gwynver beach
Hannafore Looe
Harlyn Bay
Hemmick Beach
Holywell Bay
Kingsand Beach
Lamorna Cove
Lankidden Cove
Lantic Bay
Longrock Beach
Lusty Glaze
Mawgan Porth
Mevagissey - Polstreath
Mexico Towans
Mother Iveys Bay
Northcott Mouth
Nanjizel Cove
Padstow
Par
Pendower Beach
Pendower - Carne Beach
Penzance
Perranporth (dogs must be kept on leads between July and August, 9am - 5pm)
Plaidy Looe
Polpeor
Polridmouth Beach
Porth Joke
Porthbeor
Porthcothan
Porthcurnick
Porth Kidney (Lelant)
Porthluney Cove
Portholland Beach
Portheras Cove
Port Isaac
Portloe
Portscatho
Priests Cove
Rinsey Head
Rock
Sandymouth Beach Bude
Seaton
Sharrow Beach Torpoint
St. Antonys Head
Summerleaze Bude (though dogs must be kept on a lead from 10am to 6pm May 21-September 30)
Talland Bay
Tintagel
Towan Beach
Trebarwith Strand
Trefusis Beach at Flushing
Tregantle Cliff Beach (Whitsand Bay)
Tregardock
Trevaunance Cove St Agnes
Treyarnon Bay
Upton Towans
Vault Beach
Watergate Bay
Wherrytown
Whipsiderry Beach
Widemouth Bay (south side) - Black Rock

So, no ''breaking the law''. An example for Cyprus. Nobody said, that it should be allowed everywhere and anytime, but some more efforts could be made for those who pay taxes. Any idea where the money goes??? Ask your mukhtar next time you pay the yearly ''tax'' for your dog -s. Supporting local shelters who care for the strays?? NO! Building reasonable dog beaches, where you and your pet do NOT have the risk of breaking legs? NO! So what happens with the money???
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How much revenue is generated from dog tax?
die6

Post by die6 »

Dominic
.....depends on how many Cypriots pay. 10%?? 20% ?? Would really appreciate information where the money goes. We asked our mukhtar when we came to this village...... no answer. Now that we live here for many years, we know that hardly any of the Cypriots, let alone any of the so called hunters, who have many dogs, pay at all.
WHL

Post by WHL »

die6 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:25 am Beaches were dogs are allowed all year long:
Benoath Cove
Boobys Beach
Bossiney Haven
Constantine Bay
Coverack (but dogs must be on leads from June 1 to August 31)
Crantock
Daymer Bay
Deadmans Cove
Downderry
Duckpool Beach
Eastern Green
Fistral Newquay
Freathy
Gorran Haven
Great Western Beach Newquay
Greenaway Beach
Gwynver beach
Hannafore Looe
Harlyn Bay
Hemmick Beach
Holywell Bay
Kingsand Beach
Lamorna Cove
Lankidden Cove
Lantic Bay
Longrock Beach
Lusty Glaze
Mawgan Porth
Mevagissey - Polstreath
Mexico Towans
Mother Iveys Bay
Northcott Mouth
Nanjizel Cove
Padstow
Par
Pendower Beach
Pendower - Carne Beach
Penzance
Perranporth (dogs must be kept on leads between July and August, 9am - 5pm)
Plaidy Looe
Polpeor
Polridmouth Beach
Porth Joke
Porthbeor
Porthcothan
Porthcurnick
Porth Kidney (Lelant)
Porthluney Cove
Portholland Beach
Portheras Cove
Port Isaac
Portloe
Portscatho
Priests Cove
Rinsey Head
Rock
Sandymouth Beach Bude
Seaton
Sharrow Beach Torpoint
St. Antonys Head
Summerleaze Bude (though dogs must be kept on a lead from 10am to 6pm May 21-September 30)
Talland Bay
Tintagel
Towan Beach
Trebarwith Strand
Trefusis Beach at Flushing
Tregantle Cliff Beach (Whitsand Bay)
Tregardock
Trevaunance Cove St Agnes
Treyarnon Bay
Upton Towans
Vault Beach
Watergate Bay
Wherrytown
Whipsiderry Beach
Widemouth Bay (south side) - Black Rock

So, no ''breaking the law''. An example for Cyprus. Nobody said, that it should be allowed everywhere and anytime, but some more efforts could be made for those who pay taxes. Any idea where the money goes??? Ask your mukhtar next time you pay the yearly ''tax'' for your dog -s. Supporting local shelters who care for the strays?? NO! Building reasonable dog beaches, where you and your pet do NOT have the risk of breaking legs? NO! So what happens with the money???
I was referring to Cyprus, where taking Dogs to public beaches is illigal
WHL

Post by WHL »

die6 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 pm firefly
Lucky you, we were in the south of France a few years ago and some beaches where covered with Dog crap,....when im on the beach here I dont want to keep constantly looking down to see where Im stepping, Dog beaches and Dog Parks are the best solution for everyone.
die6

Post by die6 »

WHL
I see.... you are not Cypriot.
WHL

Post by WHL »

die6 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:34 pm WHL
I see.... you are not Cypriot.
Dont understand what your saying ??
die6