EHIC to continue

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dusty

EHIC to continue

Post by Dusty »

The Brexit Secretary said the EU-wide scheme of health insurance (EHIC) will still continue after the UK leaves the bloc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rexit.html
trevnhil

Re: EHIC to continue

Post by trevnhil »

So this means that VISITORS to Cyprus will be covered by the EHIC card, as will I assume people from Cyprus visiting the UK. As long as they have an EHIC card.

Trev..
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Careful, here- it's a Daily Mail report, remember... :?
Gone but not forgotten...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I read it every day, but I know that some other more regular posters don't seem to rate it..

Trev..
Trev..
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

The paper quotes:

He said: 'We are looking to see if we can get a continuation of the EHIC scheme as it now exists.'

Looking to see is not the same as the EU allowing the UK to cherry pick one of the benefits of EU membership.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:11 pm I read it every day, but I know that some other more regular posters don't seem to rate it..

Trev..
Do you or Hil bother with the small concise crossword on the back page of the Daily Mail, Monday to Saturday, I wonder, Trev? :?:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, no we don't Al. I am not sure it would be in the online edition..

Trev..
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

the concise i newspaper is considered to be the most honest and world-ranging at present. Strange that you can buy it in the Dover Eastern Docks shop, while waiting to board your P&O ferry to Calais, but it's n/a on board the ferry...

CS explained that it was summat to do with their newspaper wholesaler (Menzies) who refuse to sell this paper. Have asked Menzies why, but they choose not to reply... Cheers- AL

PS @ Trevnhil: OMG- what a waste of nice little DM 5 min concise crosswords that is...
josef k

Post by josef k »

Hang on, I thought the EHIC card was a health card used within an EU country by a person who was a citizen of another EU country. Once the UK leaves the EU, then EHIC cards don't apply to UK citizens. This is what the majority of Brits voted for, and to suggest otherwise is to ignore the referendum result. It really is that simple and is nothing to do with the EU making things difficult.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems that the EU leaders Merkel and all are unimpressed with the mess that Theresa May and her conservative party have got themselves into post the last election. They have reason to doubt if she has the means and the authority to negotiate the complex EU minefield that a successful Brexit will require.
From listening to news as reported and in the papers, it appears that the EU has accepted the idea of Brexit and just want to get it over and done. Preferably on their terms.
It remains to be seen what they are. However the news today is that May and the leader of the Ulster Unionist Party have signed a treaty and will be working together. So all being well, May should have a majority in Parliament.
Time will tell. At least the triple lock pension and winter fuel allowance (the later payable in the UK only), will now continue as before.

I expect to have to wait to see whether and for how long the EHIC will be in use ...

Dee
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I don't particularly see it as a benefit for UK citizens as any different from a benefit for EU citizens.
The UK are leaving the European Union they are not leaving Europe

They are it appears offering to maintain the idea of the EH1C card( call it a different name maybe) for EU citizens in return for the same being applied to UK citizens.

I cannot for the life of me see anything wrong with that as I am sure there are going to be many other issues that were part of the EU that we would want to maintain and they too.

Surely to goodness that and various other things is what is and will be negotiated?
Royal

Post by Royal »

josef k wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pm Hang on, I thought the EHIC card was a health card used within an EU country by a person who was a citizen of another EU country. Once the UK leaves the EU, then EHIC cards don't apply to UK citizens. This is what the majority of Brits voted for, and to suggest otherwise is to ignore the referendum result. It really is that simple and is nothing to do with the EU making things difficult.
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm
Actually no, josef k got it in one: the population of the UK voted to leave the EU, so how can they expect to continue enjoying privileges granted solely to member states of the EU?

If you leave a club, surely you lose all the benefits which come with being a member of that club. Quite simple really...and nothing to do with the EU being vindictive.
Such closed minds you both have! What are ‘negotiations’ for if not to thrash out some of the detail of a new relationship? If it was simply a matter of leaving the club and closing the door, there would be no need for further discussions, no divorce bill and nothing further to do.

Thankfully, that is not the case, and the gleeful harping on by Remoaners about every tiny detail which needs attention is, quite frankly, pathetic.

It is not beyond the wit of even the Eurocrats to see the sense in retaining some elements of the current membership terms and conditions where it is mutually beneficial.

The EHIC is a case in point. It is. European Health Insurance Card. It's NOT an EUHIC.

Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland - none of which are in the EU, issue EHICs which their citizen's can use anywhere in the EU. What on earth makes the UK any different from these countries - none of which are ‘in the club’ (and all of which are doing nicely, thank you).
Last edited by Royal on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Don't know what all the fuss is about EHIC cards, before Cyprus joined the EU, we had to put private heath insurance into place when living there. So do it again if necessary, If only going on holiday abroad, get travel insurance.

The EU will put any obstacle it can in our way to make leaving as awkward as possible, they won't be getting our money anymore, and that's it in a nutshell.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:46 pm Don't know what all the fuss is about EHIC cards, before Cyprus joined the EU, we had to put private heath insurance into place when living there. So do it again if necessary, If only going on holiday abroad, get travel insurance.

The EU will put any obstacle it can in our way to make leaving as awkward as possible, they won't be getting our money anymore, and that's it in a nutshell.

Jackie
Well said Jackie.

As far as the EU putting obstacles in our way to make things awkward is concerned - I can understand that better than I can understand the delight fellow UK citizens take in reporting what they perceive to be bad news for their fellow UK citizens - just so that they can be proven 'right' in their vote to remain in the EU. Apparently this even extends to fathers and sons, and those that didn't bother to vote at all...
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

The EHIC is a case in point. It is. European Health Insurance Card. It's NOT an EUHIC.

Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland - none of which are in the EU, issue EHICs which their citizen's can use anywhere in the EU. What on earth makes the UK any different from these countries - none of which are ‘in the club’ (and all of which are doing nicely, thank you).
The EHIC is an EU Scheme. To quote the European Commission '...free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries)...'

Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein are part of the European Economic Area. The EEA links these countries into the EU's market, extending the four freedoms to these states. In return, they pay a membership fee and have to adopt most areas of EU law (which they do not have direct impact in shaping). Therefore these countries can issue EHICs to their citizens.

All these countries plus Switzerland belong to European Free Trade Association which operates in parallel to the EU. Switzerland has a number of agreements with the EU that allows it to issue EHICs to its citizens.

The fact that European countries outside of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not issue the EHIC is because it is not a pan European scheme.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Alfewin, the simple fact remains that there is no reason whatsoever, for the UK not to retain membership of the EHIC scheme as it does now. It is mutually beneficial to EU visitors to the UK and UK visitors to the EU.

I repeat what I originally said. There are negotiations going on to discuss such matters. If such issues were not negotiable, we may as well just go for a Hard Brexit earlier rather than later. That is in nobody's interests.