Schools

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Alfie

Schools

Post by Alfie »

We are planning a move to Cyprus in the next year or two. We have two kids and I wanted to know what my options were for schools. We are assuming we will have to go private, but aren't sure of the options. Is the International School any good? That seems fairly central. There is also an American School, however, whenever we pass it on the way from the airport, it seems half abandoned.

Are there any we have missed, and does anybody have any experience with the school system?
WHL

Re: Schools

Post by WHL »

what ages are your kids?
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

If your children are very young, the local Greek school might be an option. Small children pick up the language rather quickly.
Louise :)
smudger

Post by smudger »

The local Greek schools are fine for younger children - under 7/8, but many extra curricular teaching is the norm and payable.

The 3 main private schools are ISOP, TLC and Aspire. All of equal status I would think. Something to take into account is the international aspect, which for me is a step too far. Russians just don't integrate, they dominate, so for a shy, insecure child this can be a problem. The Chinese are more friendly but totally dominated by the need to study, study, study, which again can be intimidating for your child. Would be worth discussing how each school handles these aspects I think.

My granddaughter attends ISOP and school response has, in the main, been responsive and positive, but many aspects could have been handled better I think.

The difference between a 'private' school in UK and one here is that private schools here are run by shareholders, always looking for and expecting a profit.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Just seen your post Lloyd, and I know you have posted positively on ISOP before, as have I. I have had to seriously consider the pros and cons of moving Georgi to TLC or Aspire, but weighing up the evidence have decided that, given other problems then the lesser of two evils will be to leave her in ISOP. Given my time over though my initial choice would have been TLC or Aspire.

Regards
Jacs
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:30 pm If your children are very young, the local Greek school might be an option. Small children pick up the language rather quickly.
Agreed! My Grandaugter Lydia moved to sourthern France (Midi Pyrenees) with our Daughter and Son-in-Law a few years back, when she was aged 10. Went to local school, and was soon speaking and writing fluent French.

They've since uprooted and resettled to a nice village in Worcs, with Lydia attending a local college for the past couple of years, studying languages. She FLEW through her French exams (where the Tutor had her helping the class) and has since passed her exams in Spanish and Italian (not to mention a good grasp on Hungarian, from her Mum...) She won a £20 prize for excellence in Spanish!

She's off to Uni in September to continue. Meanwhile, she and her boyfriend left St Pancras this morning for a 6 week sabbatical around France and Spain (on the railways), staying in youth hostels. I don't expect them to have any language barriers wherever they are staying, nor dining out each evening...

Cheers- AL :o
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We didn't rate Aspire when we did the school tours prior to moving over last year.

Our daughter has been at ISOP for a year, and loves it. There have been absolutely no issues with Russian and Chinese kids at all in our experience at least. We love the fact that it is international. The christmas fair was great too! Nosebag from lots of different countries.

Now, our opinion may change when the school reports come out in a few days time, but at the moment we are more than happy.

We may also be a bit biased, but that is not for me to say. :lol:

Oh one thing, ISOP at least has an entrance exam your kids must sit. They will need to sit this before they are accepted. I don't know about the other schools though, so factor that in to your timeline. I would suggest that when you come to Cyprus to sit the test, you pick a time of year you haven't already been to Cyprus in. You should experience as much of the Cyprus year as you can before moving here.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
smudger

Post by smudger »

True Al, but Georgi was on the cusp when she came to me and the advantages of the local school would have been totally submerged in other problems. My initial choice was not ISOP, but I was overruled by a higher authority. So ISOP it was, and it's now the lesser of two evils, which is not the best place for a child in education, but it's where I am and G and I have to make the very best of it we can. We do have a mammoth amount of ex teaching support I have to say, for which I truly thank the Angel Guardians.
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

As Dominic says we are very happy with ISOP for our daughter. Tbh the facilities were superior and small classes but with enough children to give some challenge.

We know a few pupils who have moved through the year which can be really unsettling and disruptive to their education. Basically visit all 3 and then choose the school that you feel best suits your child and allow them time to settle in and don't bad mouth teachers or school in front of them but talk to someone at the school if you have a problem.

Good luck
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

@ Dominic and Houdinibin: We definately need a [THANKS] or [LIKE] or [KUDOS] button here on PL. imho...

It would make the PL environment MUCH more enriched and user-friendly! Come on please, Dominic, I'm sure your board software allows these functions; it's just that you haven't activated them yet!

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

At the moment, people post something like:

Good post Jackie!
WHL

Post by WHL »

PaphosAL wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:40 pm @ Dominic and Houdinibin: We definately need a [THANKS] or [LIKE] or [KUDOS] button here on PL. imho...

It would make the PL environment MUCH more enriched and user-friendly! Come on please, Dominic, I'm sure your board software allows these functions; it's just that you haven't activated them yet!

Cheers- AL :)
Think its a great idea to have a thumbs up/down.. sometimes you agree/disagree with a post, a way of gauging everyones views
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

A few years ago when we lived in Tala ,a Russian family came to live opposite us. The father and mother spoke little english and the eldest two boys went to the ISOP however they needed extra tuition in english,especially written english, and were required to have private lessons at home before they were fully accepted in the school. A very nice family. but we used to smile as the father was quite stern and made the boys do aerobic exercises around the pool every morning.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Our daughter went to ISOP and went on to Lancaster University as most of her fellow classmates went on to other Universities either in the UK or Greece. I totally agree with Smudgers comments, we were paying (like other parents) for extra tuition which is not cheap but it was a means to an end.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

One thing puzzles me; these two statements, from two posters:
The Chinese are more friendly but totally dominated by the need to study, study, study, which again can be intimidating for your child.
Chinese students can be undisciplined and badly behaved...and therefore very disruptive in class.
Don't they directly contradict each other?

I showed this thread to our daughter and she was most indignant. She loves the place. :lol:
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Thanks for the responses. What are the class and year sizes of the various schools? I don't need exact figures. I am just curious. I don't want 35 kids to a class but then again I don't want 5 either.

We are fine with the international aspect of some of the schools. That's one of the reasons we are moving to be honest; to broaden our horizons!

I shall obviously cross the American School off my list anyway. :)
smudger

Post by smudger »

Just asked G about the Chinese students being disruptive, she said not really they just talk a lot to each other and are always being told to be quiet by the teacher. Which I guess can be seen as being disruptive, but not quite what I had in mind when I read the comment. I also asked about the numbers of Russian and Chinese students in the class and it seems to be roughly 50% Cypriot/English and 50% Russian/Chinese, she had difficulty working it out as many are dual nationality.

I have no problem per se with the international aspect of the schools, I just don't feel it always works for the best, certainly in ISOP, for all the children when disruptive elements dominate the lessons. Russians as I said are very domineering and do indeed disrupt lessons and intimidate other children. On refiection, had it been an option I would have gone for a non-international school. What might sound good ideologically doesn't always work in practice or for the good of the child and education in particular.
It also increases the burden on the support aspects of the school, I.e. after-school support and homework sessions. LSAs are pretty rare in Paphos and so are stretched by sheer numbers, and the disruption and dominance by other nationalities is often felt keenly then.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

My daughter an English Russian speaker attended ISOP from 4 yrs old until 2 yrs ago we changed to Aspire as did a large number of other children from ISOP. The main reason apart from the parking free for all was the larger classes at ISOP near to 25/30 i pupils n some. Plus we felt her education sas suffering with such an eclectic mixture of languages with some of the English speaking only pupils been held back .
Aspire has less than 20 to a class and in the last 2 yrs we have seen a great improvement in her studies and in her marks.
And we are very happy with the teaching staff and the much smaller number of pupils. Again its personal choice but from my daughters view point she would not go back to ISOP even though it's only 3 klm away
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

BTW Aspire also has an entrance exam and a long waiting list
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

Well our daughter was in a class of 14 this year just finished. She was year 7 and there were 3 classes altogether. For Greek she was in an even smaller group as it washer first year learning.