New ATM ALERT!!!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
smudger

New ATM ALERT!!!

Post by smudger »

There is a pretty recent ATM fitted adjacent to the Kiosk opposite Tavernaki just before the Tremithousa/Premier Electrical traffic lights. A friend used it last night and when she checked her account found that another €600 had been taken from her account straight after she used it. Reported to police, sorted with her bank, but be alert folks!
jandk

Re: New ATM ALERT!!!

Post by jandk »

I would never use an ATM not associated with my bank. Only ever use an ATM during banking hours.
josef k

Post by josef k »

These new private ATMs (the blue ones) make a charge of 2.5 euros per withdrawal. It doesn't show on the receipt slip and is not mentioned on the machine or screen. Neither does it trigger an alert on your mobile, if you have that facility. The first you see it is on your bank statement.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And God help you if you are using a UK card!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

A lot of tourists are being ripped off by these machines. No mention of any charges on the machine or whilst withdrawing. Our neighbour got charged using a BOC card, at the machine at the Muckhtars supermarket in Mandria. I also believe their rate of exchange is appalling if you are using a UK card.
smudger

Post by smudger »

I do agree with the comments, my friends not silly, she knew she would be charged (albeit horrified at the amount) but realised after a very busy day that she'd forgotten to go to the bank, so rather than traipse all the way down the Polis road opted to use it in the short term. To her regret I have to say! The two withdrawals were not both from that machine, the second one was in Mesogi.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

The one in Mandria gave some tourists an exchange rate of less than one pound to a euro, so they were being ripped off using their UK cards. We draw out using our UK zero cards at BOC and get the visa exchange rate, which is usually the same as the exchange rate shown on bbc. We also use jcc machines, which again do not charge.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/mark ... efault.stm

When we went to Athens last summer, we noticed some of the Greek banks were charging to withdraw money, but at least they had the appropriate notices that a charge would be made. In Cyprus there is no notice that a charge will be made, or what the charge is. Also,one machine down at the harbour actually looks like it belongs to a bank and an unsuspecting tourist might think they are using a machine which gives the visa exchange rate whereas they are getting around or less than 1 to 1. Many people in the UK are using zero rate cards which promise no commission and the visa or mastercard rate of exchange, when drawing out of a foreign bank.
Pafos

Post by Pafos »

I've used the one in Mandria and it says before you proceed that there will be a charge (cant remember the fee)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Pafos wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:11 pm I've used the one in Mandria and it says before you proceed that there will be a charge (cant remember the fee)

Correct
smudger

Post by smudger »

Just to reiterate, my friend knew there would be a charge, not a problem.

The problem, and the reason I posted this thread, is that there clearly is a problem with this particular ATM and I thought I was providing a public service by making people aware of this. An argument re charges was not my intention.

Simples, please be aware, there is, or was, a problem with this particular ATM which may result in nefarious withdrawals from your account. Personally I would not touch this ATM with a barge pole.
Caveat emptor.