Turmeric

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Florencee

Turmeric

Post by Florencee »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I need to buy some turmeric and normally buy it on Limassol sea front from a Sri Lankan shop.
Unfortunately that shop has closed. I know Turmeric can be bought in many of the supermarkets here but really need to find some Indian or Sri Lankan Turmeric that has not been packed in Cyprus and that has been imported already packed direct from India or Sri Lanka.

Is there a spice shop in Paphos where I could buy this?

Many thanks

Florence
Cactuslil

Re: Turmeric

Post by Cactuslil »

There is a health food shop in Paphos going from Papantoniou supermarket towards Mesogi, it's on the left hand side before the fruit market. You could try there.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Florencee wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:17 pm Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I need to buy some turmeric and normally buy it on Limassol sea front from a Sri Lankan shop.
Unfortunately that shop has closed. I know Turmeric can be bought in many of the supermarkets here but really need to find some Indian or Sri Lankan Turmeric that has not been packed in Cyprus and that has been imported already packed direct from India or Sri Lanka.

Is there a spice shop in Paphos where I could buy this?

Many thanks

Florence
I bought last Saturday Ground Curcuma at Lidl's as it was special offer (brand name: 100 delights, 85gr, 99 c) which is not packed in Cyprus...

Max
darrow

Post by darrow »

steni market, 3rd sunday every month, so you have just missed it, fresh herbs, spices, pies, cakes etc.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Visit The Spice House in Peristerona. Open Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

http://www.spiceandeasycyprus.com/
josef k

Post by josef k »

There are two shops in the centre of Paphos who service the Philippina and Sri Lankan communities. They are both just off Kennedy Square (that's where the old police station is) and are in the road that is diagonally opposite the police station. One is a Kiosk on the left as you walk away from the police station, the other is in the old cinema building opposite that Kiosk. The both have a wide and fascinating range of products at good prices. I got 200 gms of turmeric for 1.50 euros a while ago.
humpinghummer

Post by humpinghummer »

You could grow your own, very easy to grow but maybe a bit late in the season for a crop this year.

Below are some I have growing in pots.
Florencee

Post by Florencee »

Thank you so much to everyone for all the information and taking the time to reply.I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Florence
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

There is an Indian store in Limassol literally just before Debenhams on the front if your coming from the west. It is called something unsurprising like The International Store and is number 367A. They do everything Indian and their basmati rice is superb quality and far cheaper than even Lidl.
Most of the Indian stuff is upstairs. Parking can be exciting if you stop on the pavement outside the store as most customers do to avoid the double yellow lines. But normally there are several courier vans parked on the lines to give you cover. If not pop down into Debenhams car park.

Cheers Mike
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Garden of Eden have fresh turmeric root if that is of any help. Saw it today.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

humpinghummer: thanks for the tip. I grow a lot of my own veg, but never thought of growing turmeric.
Two questions: do you plant seeds, and which part of the plant do you eat??!

MikeJ - thanks for your pointer, too. I'm frequently near Debenhams in Limassol and will try that shop. Sound fascinating.
humpinghummer

Post by humpinghummer »

DavidatLWH: You just let the rhizome/root produce shoots and plant or you can just put them straight into soil and they normally produce shoots. You can eat the rhizome then , either fresh or you dry it and grind it into powder. This is my second year so I am hoping for a good crop ;-). I think you can also use the leaves and the flowers are very pretty..