Mateus Rose Wine

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Mateus Rose Wine

Post by Lincoln »

As most people are aware this is selling at aroun d €4.50 a bottle. I for one enjoy it in the evening on the balcony looking out to sea.

We called into the King Evelthon Hotel this early afternoon and went to see the Gospel singers (a bit too loud for us) so wondered around.

In the bar the same bottle of Mateus Rose was €18.00! and upstairs in the Mexican/Italian restaurant it is priced at €19.50. Noe when I am out for a decent meal I do not mind paying a reasonable price for a decent wine. However I do think that this was a tad pricey

What is your opinion?
All things are possible
trevnhil

Re: Mateus Rose Wine

Post by trevnhil »

Too dear, by far..

Trev..
Trev..
kansas

Post by kansas »

The average restaurant price of Mateus is €15 ish. A bit high for wine we have bought in Smart for €2.95 at times.

However it is from Portugal and, unlike Cyprus wines, almost without sulphites. This makes it (at least for us) much more acceptable than many local products.
June

Post by June »

Went to the Athena Beach last week to hear a singer.
A bottle of Othello (ordinary one not Cellar) was 18 euros.
It is an all inclusive and we weren't so that maybe why...but ouch! :shock:
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

If you drink your wine in a 4 or 5 star hotel with beautiful surroundings, then these prices don't surprise me. If you drink the same wine in 2 or 3 star hotel surroundings or a local taverna then you will no doubt pay less.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
June

Post by June »

I take your point Jeanne but to be honest I didn't think the Athena had beautiful surroundings.
I was mightily underwhelmed as had expected better.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Rip off back in the 70s I was only paying a pound a bottle :lol:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

kansas wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 pm The average restaurant price of Mateus is €15 ish. A bit high for wine we have bought in Smart for €2.95 at times.

However it is from Portugal and, unlike Cyprus wines, almost without sulphites. This makes it (at least for us) much more acceptable than many local products.
A 5X markup in the restaurant on their local cost price is a bit bloody greedy, IMHO...

Having said that, I think that Tesco (and the others) here in UK are just as bad on Mateus Rose. For example, 6 bottles for £30 ? ROB or what? Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
ast

Post by ast »

Well my bottle of ice cold Vasilikon from Paps at €5.90 that happens to be in front of me now tastes pretty good and sounds like a bargin.
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

How much would it have cost originally when those of us old enough to remember seeing it on the table and later turned into a display with a candle in the neck, I wonder?

Over recent years it seems to have become quite popular. I recall going out on one of our office lunch meetings and the young Cypriot girls getting clearly excited about being able to order a bottle of new and trendy wine. Me and my other British colleague found it quite amusing as there was only a few years of age between us.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Annamaria

Post by Annamaria »

18/19 euros is around what I would expect to pay for a bottle of wine in a 5 star hotel

I can remember sticking a candle in a bottle of Mateus rose or the even worse blue nun
Thread made me laugh cos it reminded me of one of my favourite programs
"I'm Alan partridge "
He always used to drink either Mateus or blue nun lol
Steve Matthews

Post by Steve Matthews »

ast wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:55 pm Well my bottle of ice cold Vasilikon from Paps at €5.90 that happens to be in front of me now tastes pretty good and sounds like a bargin.
Don't over chill your wine, you'll subdue the flavour!
But, I agree, Vasilikon is a nice wine. :-)
El tel

Post by El tel »

I am drinking the boxes of Keo dry white for about two euros , and wonder what other boxes of dry white wine or bottles can be recommended. I find the heat tends to dull my taste in Cyprus and having taken the said box of wine back to the UK and could not believe that I enjoy drinking it here ! Interested in any recommendations as I would like a change to something different.

Terry
daveg

Post by daveg »

Kolios....10 litres €25....
manxie

Post by manxie »

as a rule of thumb I tend to stay away from wines that do not have year of vintage on label at least then you stand a chance of knowing how long wine has been on the shelf
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Our in-house plonk for some years now is the 5 litre boxes we buy at Vouni Panayia Winery for €10. The Kolios boxes are good too but as so many tavernas serve the Kolios in carafes we prefer a different taste at home. (Also a 10 litre box won't fit in the allotted cupboard space!!!)

Pete
El tel

Post by El tel »

Thanks for the feedback , will give them both a try.

Terry
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Not sure where you can buy the Vouni Panagia from apart from the winery itself, but Kolios wine also from the Panagia area is sold from the Kolios butchers up on the left from the big Papantoniou on the Polis road.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

True story, my next door neighbor back in the UK, was a boring wine snob, before he poured you a drink he would bore the pants off you, describing what valley this grape was grown in, what fruits it tasted of, how lucky we were to be tasting this wine, and like most wine snobs, he had to tell you how expensive it was zzzzzzzzz by the time he gave you the glass, you virtually had lost the will to live, any way he came over on holiday to Cyprus, and popped round without telling us, as they sat outside I went to the kitchen and to my horror the only wine I had in the house, was two cartons of KEO red wine, too cut a long story short, I poured it into a decanter, and served, I was waiting for him to spit it out, but to our surprise, he loved it, and asked where he could purchase it, I lied and said it was from a little winery up in Troodos mountain range, I would of loved to tell him the truth, but the moral of this story is , most wine snobs dont know what their talking about.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

You are just as well not knowing what wine you are drinking... at home we drink the white Keo boxed wine and the Rose' wine from Lidl..

Trev..
Trev..