More Requirements for Temporary Residence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
TandC

Re: More Requirements for Temporary Residence

Post by TandC »

Is there any information for those with Pre Brexit MEU 1s,which were suject to the withdrawal agreement,or does this now mean we have to reapply?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

This is the first I have heard about the MEU1/3 becoming obsolete, and people 'HAVING' to apply for a different card.. From reading on the forums and the internet it is difficult to get an appointment now. Goodness knows what it will be like when we all HAVE to change to a new card.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

There is also another option for people who have been living here for years, you could consider taking Cypriot citizenship?
TandC

Post by TandC »

The new system(ETIAS)dosent mention face recognition and fingerprint data as far as I can see from the link attached.

https://www.etias.info/schengen-countries/etias-cyprus/

Have you seen somthing else?
TandC

Post by TandC »

I cant see how the fingerprint thing will work and how it fits with ETIAS online apllication-or am I missing something?
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

It seems the whole system allows you to stay for up to 90 days in any 180 or to stop for over 90 days in one go and apply for temporary residence.

Many people like me who have owned a house for 32 years in Cyprus have never stayed for a continuous 90 days so can't apply for residence but by traveling for a month at a time often break the 90 days in 180 rule.

Clearly Cyprus/EU does not want us.

I think property prices will be affected.

Gary.
TandC

Post by TandC »

I dont think current UK pasports include fingerprints do they?
TandC

Post by TandC »

So tourists will be the most affected then- not good for Cyprus tourist industry!

Perhaps reason will prevail!
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

glang3000 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:10 pm It seems the whole system allows you to stay for up to 90 days in any 180 or to stop for over 90 days in one go and apply for temporary residence.

Many people like me who have owned a house for 32 years in Cyprus have never stayed for a continuous 90 days so can't apply for residence but by traveling for a month at a time often break the 90 days in 180 rule.

Gary.
We're in the same boat. Owned property for 19 years and spent goodness knows how much money in Cyprus in that time. We have no intention of applying for permanent residence but as we approach retirement, we were looking forward to spending a significant proportion of time at our place especially in the colder months. This could well have resulted in us staying more than 90 days out of 180.

Clearly this is no longer possible, and I personally feel bitter about it. Surely an exception could be made for people like us who bought property pre the Brexit vote to be able to come and go as we did prior to January 1st 2021? For example, it could be that we are issued with a different coloured slip that is valid for as long as we own the property and is shown at point of entry/exit.

In my opinion it's an extremely unfair situation and in case anyone is wondering I didn't vote for Brexit!
jeba

Post by jeba »

There seems to be a possibility to extend your stay beyond 90 days: https://www.financialmirror.com/2022/12 ... or-expats/
Last edited by jeba on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wow! Mind you, it seems that we have 3+ years before this starts.
I called in at Gwenny's yesterday to talk about the new MUKW 3. Told me that no changes are in the offing where the MEU 3's validity is concerned, and as far as she is concerned there's no hurry.
Apparently, there is a long wait for an appt to see Immigration, and when you do, approx 6 mths before the new plastic card can be received.
Immigration are rammed with both Asylum seekers and Immigrants....
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Beechwood, why not apply for permanent resident status, or at least try?. Some people are still coming to Cyprus for their retirement. You would have to provide evidence of a satisfactory income, pension, savings, etc. Bank details etc.That would still allow you to come and go as you want and you're not required to apply for Cypriot citizenship, Full details of the property you own, title deeds etc. would also help. The bar is higher now than before Brexit, but not impossible.A good solicitor could help you. Depending on how much time per year you intend to stay here, you might be able to opt to pay Cyprus Tax, rather than UK.

Dee
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

I've just read something that I didn't know. Apparently EU citizens can stay in the UK for up to 6 months at a time!

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

glang3000 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:10 pm It seems the whole system allows you to stay for up to 90 days in any 180 or to stop for over 90 days in one go and apply for temporary residence.

Gary.
For those of us with no home in any country in the world and no prospect of ever owning one due to sky-high property prices, and whose horizons have been severely limited by a Brexit we didn't vote for, it is hard to summon up any sympathy for people with multiple homes who want to claim residence in a country they do not live in. I genuinely hope property prices are negatively affected. If there has ever been a first-world problem, yours is it.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Beechwood wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:06 pm

Gary.
We're in the same boat. Owned property for 19 years and spent goodness knows how much money in Cyprus in that time. We have no intention of applying for permanent residence but as we approach retirement, we were looking forward to spending a significant proportion of time at our place especially in the colder months. This could well have resulted in us staying more than 90 days out of 180.

Clearly this is no longer possible, and I personally feel bitter about it. Surely an exception could be made for people like us who bought property pre the Brexit vote to be able to come and go as we did prior to January 1st 2021? For example, it could be that we are issued with a different coloured slip that is valid for as long as we own the property and is shown at point of entry/exit.

In my opinion it's an extremely unfair situation and in case anyone is wondering I didn't vote for Brexit!
Brexit is unfortunate for everyone. However, I don't see why you should be less unfortunate by dint of owning more property than others. I suggest you count your blessings.
jeba

Post by jeba »

If the information in this post is correct, now already the 90/180 day rule doesn´t apply for UK property owners: http://easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?p=656154#656154
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would imagine that that will get exploited very quickly and the Cypriots will then clamp down on it. If you want a comparison, see what happened to zero rate duty on all packages under 18 euros. All of a sudden, most packages were worth under 18 euros. So Cyprus removed the perk.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ludlowboy

Post by ludlowboy »

'I've just read something that I didn't know. Apparently EU citizens can stay in the UK for up to 6 months at a time!'

Ditch your passport and you can stay indefinitely, in a 4* hotel!
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Beechwood wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:27 pm I've just read something that I didn't know. Apparently EU citizens can stay in the UK for up to 6 months at a time!

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor
Tbf we can stay in Cyprus for 6 mths per year, the problem we have is the 90 day rule means that we can't organise our time in Cyprus as we would like.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We invited our niece to come and stay with us and being a TCN we had to get her a Bank Guarantee which cost €850 plus a return ticket. It has cost her well over €300 for a visa plus expenses for DHL. She also had to show she had €5,000 in the bank which in this financial climate is not easy for a young girl to have.
She works on the Internet so we looked into extending her stay as she meets the criteria for an overseas earnings but we've been told she has to have €10,000 in a local bank even though we're only requesting an extended tourist visa.