Prison term extended for Briton involved in fatal hit-and-run

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Prison term extended for Briton involved in fatal hit-and-run

Post by Paphos Life »

The supreme court unanimously approved the attorney general's appeal over the 12-month sentence imposed on the hit-and-run driver who killed a Swedish mother in a fatal Ayia Napa crash earlier this summer. The sentence has now been more than doubled to two-and-a-half years in prison. The family had previously called...

Read the article and chat about it below...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Prison term extended for Briton involved in fatal hit-and-run

Post by Devil »

Well done!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Not long enough for taking a life
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It still seems a very light sentence to me.
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I also think that a longer sentence for a serious accident such as this is warranted and might act as more of a deterrent to other drivers. It seems as if life is cheap ....

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:57 pm I also think that a longer sentence for a serious accident such as this
The keyword, in this case, is accident. Oxford defines it:
An event that is without apparent cause or unexpected; an unfortunate event, esp. one causing injury or damage.
I believe that this explains the apparent leniency. If there were any proof that it was deliberate, then the punishment should have been more swingeing – I'm not even sure that any punishment is justified unless it can be proven that the driver committed a fault leading to the accident; the effect on his conscience is probably punishment enough.
my object all sublime is to fit the punishment to the crime (Mikado)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:06 am
Kili01 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:57 pm I also think that a longer sentence for a serious accident such as this
The keyword, in this case, is accident. Oxford defines it:
An event that is without apparent cause or unexpected; an unfortunate event, esp. one causing injury or damage.
I believe that this explains the apparent leniency. If there were any proof that it was deliberate, then the punishment should have been more swingeing – I'm not even sure that any punishment is justified unless it can be proven that the driver committed a fault leading to the accident; the effect on his conscience is probably punishment enough.
my object all sublime is to fit the punishment to the crime (Mikado)
Driving while having drink or drugs in your system is illegal as far as i know?
As for the driver having a conscience, is this a sick joke on your behalf, any normal person would of checked on the person they just hit and get help immediately, this scum bag got out of the car and fled the scene.