St. Andrew's Day

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

St. Andrew's Day

Post by memory man »

He is the patron saint of Cyprus, Scotland, Greece (City of Patras), Romania, Russia, Ukraine, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople,[4] San Andres Island (Colombia), Saint Andrew (Barbados) and Tenerife (Spain).
trevnhil

Re: St. Andrew's Day

Post by trevnhil »

Wow, he seems to have been a really popular guy..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't remember seeing a single church dedicated to St Andrew in Cyprus.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Plenty people named after him though - I was told Andreas is Andrew by a Cypriot
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yep if you have a Cypriot neighbour or friend called Andreas, Andros, or femail called Androulla, Andrie, etc, take the opportunity to wish them, chronia polla, they will apreciate it, in fact a name day is as big as someones birthday, I filled up today and went and wished the owner Andreas a happy names day and he gave me a piece of cake for me and my wife,
memory man

Post by memory man »

More than 55,000 Cypriots celebrating their name day today

More than 55 thousand Cypriots are celebrating their name day today, November 30, Statistical Service data show.

The number of Cypriots named Andreas and Androula was 56,021, according to the latest Statistical Service figures, dating from 2011. It is expected that the figure is even higher today.

Andreas is the second most popular name in Cyprus after Maria. In 2011, 36,682 Cypriots were named after the Apostle, while 39,883 women were named Maria.

In Christian tradition, Andrew the Apostle, the First-Called, was an Apostle and the brother of Saint Peter. The two brothers were fishermen by trade.

After Jesus’ death, Andrew preached in different regions and started a church in Constantinople. One account states that he refused to make sacrifices to heathen gods and was beaten and crucified at Patrae and Achaia. Andrew hung for approximately two days and during this time he praised God.

The name “Andrew” (Greek: manly, brave, from ἀνδρεία, Andreia, “manhood, valour”), like other Greek names, appears to have been common among the Jews, Christians, and other Hellenised people of Judea.

NAME FREQUENCY
ΜARIA 39,883
ANDREAS 36,682
ELENI 29,393
GIORGOS 26,284
ANDROULA 19,339
COSTAS 18,198
CHRISTOS 16,236
NICOLAS 15,068
MICHALIS 14,576
PANAYIOTIS 13,920

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... day-today/
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:47 am I don't remember seeing a single church dedicated to St Andrew in Cyprus.
Thinking about it , your correct I don't know of any?
But the most important church , in Cyprus is St Andreas at the very tip of the pan handle, we have visited a couple of times, beautiful sceanery on the drive there, worth a visit, heres some history on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostolos ... _Monastery
memory man

Post by memory man »

Cyprus’ first Russian-style Church

Dedicated to Saint Andrew.

https://mycyprustravel.com/sightseeing/ ... ian-style/
staffie

Post by staffie »

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/11/28/part ... aval-base/
But the most important church , in Cyprus is St Andreas at the very tip of the pan handle, we have visited a couple of times, beautiful sceanery on the drive there, worth a visit, heres some history on it
------
Be nice if you could drive there, according to reports it's a forbidden area now.
WHL

Post by WHL »

staffie wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:07 pm https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/11/28/part ... aval-base/
------
Be nice if you could drive there, according to reports it's a forbidden area now.
Do you have a link for this?, I don't think your information is correct.