Important: Receiving medicinal products from the UK in Cyprus?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Important: Receiving medicinal products from the UK in Cyprus?

Post by galexinda »

The Cyprus Post have recently announced that as of 2 January 2023, the receipt of postal items from countries that are not member states of the European Union (including the United Kingdom) that contain medicinal products will not be allowed and consequently, will not be released to their recipients.

This includes postal items delivered at the Postal Services as well as private couriers.

http://www.use-the-final-link/news/425795 ... -in-cyprus
WHL

Re: Important: Receiving medicinal products from the UK in Cyprus?

Post by WHL »

Link not opening?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

For those that cannot open the link this is the full article:

The Cyprus Post have recently announced that as of 2 January 2023, the receipt of postal items from countries that are not member states of the European Union (including the United Kingdom) that contain medicinal products will not be allowed and consequently, will not be released to their recipients.

This includes postal items delivered at the Postal Services as well as private couriers.

In addition, that as of the aforementioned date, the Pharmaceutical Services will terminate the inspection of postal items from countries that are not member states of the European Union (including the United Kingdom).

Affected citizens are urged to notify their physicians in order to arrange for the provision of the required medicinal therapy.

For more information you may contact the Pharmaceutical Services at the number 22608696 or at the email phscentral@phs.moh.gov.cy.

Author: use-the-final-link
Source: Cyprus Post
Added: 24-11-2022
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks for that info. From my own experience, the Cyprus Post has adopted a negative stance about parcels sent from the UK virtually since Brexit. My only experience with them re an incoming parcel which I had sent to myself in Cyprus, while in the UK, was a virtual nightmare. I sent a few used clothes which wouldn't fit into my suitcase, plus a few over the counter digestive stomach pills from the UK which I'd bought for myself while in UK.
After 2 months had passed and the PO that I use in Paphos kept assuring me that it still hadn't arrived. I found out that it had arrived at Larnaca several weeks previously.But had been sent to Nicosia main PO.for examination by the customs. Their main purpose seemed to be to get me to fill in their forms in order that I would have to pay customs duty and import tax! But no one had told me.
I protested, as my clothes weren't new a I had no sales invoices. The stomach remedies I assured them were not prescription items.(which they could check themselves). It was a huge effort on my part to convince their managers,(very politely)that there was no,liability for me to pay charges.
Eventually, they relented. I did get my parcel eventually. It had been ripped open and poorly
repacked.Which was a relief!
But never again. That is their apparent attitude to the UK. Before Brexit, there was no problem at all sending parcels,
Now a days most PO's seem deserted as few customers seem to be sending anything but letters and cards.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Good old Brexit, the gift that keeps giving.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

galexinda wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:26 pm For those that cannot open the link
As mentioned previously, that will be everyone - any links posted to the News In Cyprus site are
automatically changed on here so that they won't work.

Cheers

Steve
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Before Cyprus joined the EU, my meds from the UK went to customs at Paphos main post office.

My meds included prescription opiates. I had to get a certificate from the pharmacist at the General Hospital, to allow me to collect my meds from customs, long winded, but it worked.

If Brexit is affecting people living in Cyprus receiving meds from the UK, that appears to be Cyprus punishing resident Brits quite unnecessarily.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:38 pm Before Cyprus joined the EU, my meds from the UK went to customs at Paphos main post office.

My meds included prescription opiates. I had to get a certificate from the pharmacist at the General Hospital, to allow me to collect my meds from customs, long winded, but it worked.

If Brexit is affecting people living in Cyprus receiving meds from the UK, that appears to be Cyprus punishing resident Brits quite unnecessarily.
Cyprus is part of the EU, the UK has decided to leave the EU,
I would think the blame is on the people who voted Brexit, no more no less,
punishing brits unnecessary, take a look nearer home on that :roll:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Ah yes, closer to home, exactly!

Home, i.e. the UK, is what Brexit was about, how we in Britain were being affected by the EU, and if we wanted this to continue or not. It was NOT about the residents of Cyprus.

Here we go again, you are, if nothing else, consistent!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Firefly:
'If Brexit is affecting people living in Cyprus receiving meds from the UK, that appears to be Cyprus punishing resident Brits quite unnecessarily'.

As UK is no longer part of the EU then it must expect to be treated the same as any other non EU country.

As for 'Cyprus punishing resident Brits quite unnecessarily' - where did that come from?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I guess anyone previously a resident of UK and living permanently in Cyprus who orders medication to be delivered from UK to Cyprus; or those get UK prescription medication dispatched postally to them by members of their family should each consider if they voted Leave in the Brexit vote when they put their X on the ballot form.

If they did, then they can chalk this up to experience and one of the non-benefits of the Brexit result.

For those who reside in UK or Cyprus who are not affected by this one little bit and voted Remain, perhaps they can also give a wry smile for being able to see the bigger picture and the effects of Brexit.

Cyprus isn't punishing anyone.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

This is probably a stupid question, so don’t shoot the questioner, but why would a resident of Cyprus have medicine posted from the U.K.? Are we talking about private purchases or from a GP practice? Or does this include vitamins etc that I guess may fall under the banner of medicine?

Ian
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

PolemIan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:10 pm This is probably a stupid question, so don’t shoot the questioner, but why would a resident of Cyprus have medicine posted from the U.K.? Are we talking about private purchases or from a GP practice? Or does this include vitamins etc that I guess may fall under the banner of medicine?

Ian
It's a good question. If Pharmaceutical Services are no longer inspecting items from non-EU countries, who will determine whether an item is or is not controlled? Will suspect packages just go straight in the bin? If it's being left to Post Office employees to decide, this change could actually result in more bureaucracy and confusion, not less.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Its all a bit stupid. This annoying state of affairs extends to anything which can be described as medicinal, whether it is a prescription medicine, or as in my case IBS medication which is not available or produced in Cyprus, or another EU country. Non prescription, and described as over the counter medicine which can be displayed for sale on ordinary shelves in a pharmacy. If parcels are not being inspected by the pharmacoligists, does this mean that any and every parcel from the UK is opened and its contents inspected? Have they got enough staff to inspect all parcels received from all non EU countries. Of which there are many --abroad?

Who knows the answer?

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

PolemIan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:10 pm This is probably a stupid question, so don’t shoot the questioner, but why would a resident of Cyprus have medicine posted from the U.K.? Are we talking about private purchases or from a GP practice? Or does this include vitamins etc that I guess may fall under the banner of medicine?

Ian
Those same people who go back to UK for treatment, hospital visits etc whilst keeping a convenient postal address in UK.
Yes, that still happens.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:54 pm If parcels are not being inspected by the pharmacoligists, does this mean that any and every parcel from the UK is opened and its contents inspected? Have they got enough staff to inspect all parcels received from all non EU countries. Of which there are many --abroad?

Who knows the answer?

Dee
Normally you have to detail what is in the package when sending and receivers use the ThalisUpp system so they will know
what's in packages. Plus, I would imagine that the Cyprus Post will scan the items anyway so won't be difficult to identify.

Looking at how this is implemented elsewhere, it will cover both over-the-counter medicines and prescription-only medicines.

For specific questions though about individual products then the email address is included above.

Ian
As one example, we have a member who has MS and purchases his tablets from the UK - the alternative available in Cyprus caused
a bad reaction for him and left him nearly unable to walk. Some products are not available or their alternative is not compatible with
other medication etc.

Whilst I don't doubt there will be some playing the system, there are many genuine purchases going on - often saving money for the GHS.

Of course we all know what this is a consequence of - just hope that those impacted can find alternative solutions.

Cheers

Steve
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

My point was, that before Cyprus joined the EU, it did allow meds to be delivered to British residents. So why can't Cyprus go back that system. Why stop all meds from the UK? Is it an EU ruling or just a Cypriot one? Who suffers in the long run, ex pats!

My meds were not available in Cyprus at that time, hence my need for them.
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

In answer to Firefly - Cyprus is now in the Eu, so any arrangements prior to that are irrelevant. The UK chose to leave, therefore it is now treated as any other non-EU country. If the products required are not available anywhere in the EU, but are medically necessary then maybe your GP can ask for an exemption. I don't think this is Cyprus being deliberately obstructive, they are just following EU rules. I'm sure they treat any other non-EU resident in the same way.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I found this on google, it applies to Denmark, but im guessing it applies to all EU countries, hence why Cyprus has fallen in line, and not for any nasty anti expat reason , some people on here are trying to suggest , also as Steve mentioned in an earlier post, Northern Ireland might provide a way forward on reseaving your meds.

Importing medicines from the UK after 31 December 2020
The UK is no longer an EU member state, and the conditions for importing medicines from the UK have changed after 31 December 2020. This could affect you if you buy medicines online from the UK or you bring medicines into Denmark on travels from the UK by air for example.

After 31 December 2020, it is no longer legal for private individuals to import medicines from the UK by a consignment sent to you by e.g. post or a courier service.
This means that any import of medicines from the UK by post after 31 December 2020 will be illegal, regardless of whether it is over-the-counter medicines or prescription-only medicines that are sent to you. This is even the case if you ordered the medicines online before 31 December 2020.

If you bring medicines from the UK on travels to Denmark after 31 December 2020, you are only allowed to bring the equivalent of three months’ use. Before this date you could bring larger quantities of medicines. Be aware that there are other requirements for bringing medicines legally into Denmark, including that the medicines must be for your own personal use.

However, one exception is made for Northern Ireland according to a special agreement entered between the EU and the UK. According to this agreement private individuals may import medicines as if it were an EU member state.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks, WHL. You included a potentially very useful piece of info.
Will look into this.

Dee