Important: Receiving medicinal products from the UK in Cyprus?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Re: Important: Receiving medicinal products from the UK in Cyprus?

Post by Firefly »

So, it's the EU who have brought this ruling in.

I would say 'I wonder why', but I think that I might know.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:27 pm So, it's the EU who have brought this ruling in.

I would say 'I wonder why', but I think that I might know.
This from your earlier post, Quote, appears to be Cyprus punishing resident Brits quite unnecessarily..

When your in a hole, its best to stop digging, and all that jazz :lol:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

You are correct, I did indeed write that, before it became clear that it was your beloved EU that has punished you.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:37 pm WHL

You are correct, I did indeed write that, before it became clear that it was your beloved EU that has punished you.
Hasn't punished me in the least, the service we are getting over here from GESY is second to none in my opinion,
Just remind us how Brexit is working out for the average redneck that voted for it?
Immigration,,,,, NHS,,, cost of f living etc...... :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, that may be true. But it seems petty to me to stop individuals importing a medicine, (even non prescription ones) which are not available in Cyprus. For purely personal use.

Mind you, a friend living in the UK told me that a number of medicines which previously were imported from the EU to the UK are not available there any more. Yet another example of what adverse effects that Brexit is causing.
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Gosh, you lot really can't see any fault with the EU can you.

But I suppose that's the way Remainers view things.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LIG

The current situation regarding meds from Britain being banned in Cyprus, isn't affecting us in the UK. No grief here.

The EU has made a ruling that may well affect ex pats in Cyprus, unfortunately in a negative way. I consider that to be unnecessary, but it seems that EU supporters don't agree.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:26 pm The EU has made a ruling that may well affect ex pats in Cyprus, unfortunately in a negative way. I consider that to be unnecessary...
The EU hasn't made a ruling - this was part of the withdrawal agreement negotiated by the EU & UK.

As agreed during a transition period from 1 February to 31 December 2020, EU pharmaceutical law continued
to apply to the UK. From 1 January 2021, EU pharmaceutical law applies to the UK in respect of Northern Ireland only. 

The (late) restrictions on medicinal products from the UK into Cyprus is the consequence of the negotiated settlement
that the UK agreed to.

Cheers

Steve
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Lets face it, Britain's withdrawal agreement was in the end a rushed and incomplete affair, in its form, and not properly planned or negotiated. Not the EU's fault as I remember that Angela Merckel offered the UK extra time in order not to rush things. But Boris Govt was determined to leave the EU on the 31 Dec, come what may! The result was the mess that was left when many important aspects of the withdrawal treaty were just left.
Hence the difficulties this has caused everyone who was affected by the Brexit.
Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Too many people assumed that the new agreements between the UK and EU as a result of Brexit would be beneficial to the UK and even that isn't happening! There was never never be a one-size solution that would make everyone happy.

I'm just so happy that I made the move to Cyprus when I did.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I find it hard to believe that some medicine is not available in Cyprus. From my experience there has always been a medicine available to deal with any medical condition. It may not always be exactly the same but I am sure it will provide the same benefit. When we moved back to the UK , one of my husbands diabetic medicines was not available here but there was an alternative which worked the same.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Just a tip for anyone who is buying medication in the UK for postage to Cyprus you could try buying it in Ireland, they are doing a roaring trade in medication and as they are in the EU should be no problem.

Gary.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:26 pm LIG

The current situation regarding meds from Britain being banned in Cyprus, isn't affecting us in the UK. No grief here.

The EU has made a ruling that may well affect ex pats in Cyprus, unfortunately in a negative way. I consider that to be unnecessary, but it seems that EU supporters don't agree.
sorry... do i understand this correctly... you are not in cyprus!!!

so just a UK brexiteer who sees life through the lens of how things impact on brits..

the EU has rules... the UK has rules.. the "EU ruling" "affects" all those in the EU. You think its a negative way..

The "rulling" ensures that imported medicines pass a standard that EU imposes.. the UK does the same.. those are positive things protecting their residents.

the UK decided it wanted to have its own set of rules for medicine and everthing else.. fine..

in order for goods and services to be imported into the EU from the UK they have to abide by EU standards and proceedures / trade agreement.. just like every other state outside the EU.. thats what the Brexiteers wanted.. and thats what they got..

its a shame we ended up in this position.. but do us a favour.. worry about your own residents (UK) and let us in cyprus worry about cyprus residents..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If you care to look back, Brexit was brought into this thread (not by me) inferring that this was the reason for the problem with meds from the UK.

I was merely pointing out that Brexit WAS about the UK. The EU decides on the policies by which the member states are ruled, as I understand it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If people want to discuss Brexit, please do so in the Politics forum. Any further Brexit post in this thread will be deleted.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Poppy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:21 pm I find it hard to believe that some medicine is not available in Cyprus.
It's true, even for medicine on the official list of approved drugs. E.g. sumatriptan, a drug against migraines, should be available, but it isn't. Reason being (as a pharmacist explained to me when asked why) that the regulated price is too low for importers to make a profit.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

As you can imagine we received various questions after we posted the article so put them
together and sent them off via email to the Pharmaceutical Services.

It was received by them, but as yet a week later, no response or answers to the questions.

Will chase and update if we hear anything back.

Cheers

Steve
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks Steve. Hope that you get a reply. Any explanation from them wouldbe interesting.
Dee