Businesses that don't accept cards

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Re: Businesses that don't accept cards

Post by galexinda »

I prefer to pay cash to support the smaller businesses - also have never liked the idea of a bank/card issuer knowing all my spending habits!
Even so, the facility to pay by cash or card is a legality in Cyprus so disturbing that some vendors are choosing to accept cash only.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

When in Cyprus I mostly use a Halifax Clarity Credit Card for purchases. Don't get charged any fees and the Mastercard exchange rate is used.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ast wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:45 am So Sorry i spoke Mr Bean. :o
On behalf of the rest of the forum, consider yourself officially forgiven. Feel free to meander the topic of conversation as you see fit.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Post by J B »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:12 am Businesses are legally required to accept card psyments. The ONLY reason restaurants would require cash is to avoid paying taxes, it's very bad practice to force customers to abet tax avoidance
Guilty till proved innocent? :roll:

When I paid Atlantic Insurance a few years ago (pre Covid) I was given a discount for cash as there would be no JCC fees for them to pay.
Maybe that's a good reason not to accept cards?
J B
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

JB That is against the law. EU law states that you can not charge more or less dependant on the means of payment i.e. you can not charge more for say a card payment and if you discount for cash you are actively charging more for card payments, I don't agree with this law as I think it raises prices but the law is the law.

Les Bean, I was merely pointing out that the Cypriot shops may be breaking the law because they can't afford card payments as apposed to the belief held by some that it's for tax evasion.

Gary
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Some businesses used and preferred cash to avoid putting it through the books and avoid corporation tax. This backfired on some when it came to claiming for support during COVID as their figures don’t meet the required criteria due to the missing funds.

Ian
J B

Post by J B »

glang3000 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:19 pm JB That is against the law.
I'll phone the Astinomia tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol:
J B
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It seems that even to read your link you have to subscribe to the newspaper. No Thanks
Trev..