Migrant arrivals to Cyprus up 122% so far this year

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Migrant arrivals to Cyprus up 122% so far this year

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus is this year facing a 122 per cent increase in irregular arrivals in the first seven months compared to the same period in 2021, mainly due to arrivals from Turkey to the north of the island and then over the Green Line, according to the EU's 2022 report on...

Read the article and chat about it below...
ludlowboy

Re: Migrant arrivals to Cyprus up 122% so far this year

Post by ludlowboy »

If only they had an ‘RNLI’ they could boost these numbers dramatically, then become a real ‘hub’!
baxi

Post by baxi »

how do they cross from the north ? , can not see them walking down ledra street in Nicosia ?
WHL

Post by WHL »

baxi wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:26 pm how do they cross from the north ? , can not see them walking down ledra street in Nicosia ?
The green line is over a hundred miles long, mostly open fields, Turkey is responsible for giving them visas to enter Turkey then they cross over to the north and then just cross over, it is about time the E U questions why it is giving the Turks 6 billion euro to stop them encouraging people to flood europe, it is only a matter of time before the elections over here, and unfortunately extreme party's like ELAM will get massive support from the locals who see the government not doing much to stem the flood.
baxi

Post by baxi »

hi , whl , do you mean that turkey gives them visas , to enter trnc , then they travel down south , how do they not know the fields are not mined or secured ? what happens to illegals when they reach , say pathos ? do not the police send them back ?
WHL

Post by WHL »

baxi wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:10 pm hi , whl , do you mean that turkey gives them visas , to enter trnc , then they travel down south , how do they not know the fields are not mined or secured ? what happens to illegals when they reach , say pathos ? do not the police send them back ?
Turkey gives them visas to enter Turkey and then allows them to move to the North.
All the mines were removed years ago
The reason they are not sent back is the same reason that the UK has in sending illegal migrants back
baxi

Post by baxi »

its not getting better is it ? .
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Every time we go to Paphos there appears to be more and more of them, what do they do all day, could get them to work on the roadworks, never seems to be many workers there.
staffie

Post by staffie »

been banging on about this subject for some time now, but obviously got called racist on most occasions, now thinking about getting a darker suntan so don't look the odd one out, no doubt backlash to come but you cannot blame them for a better life. :D
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Same problem in the UK.

How they get the money to pay the traffickers in the first place, I know not, nor how they all have mobile phones. Mostly young men, to me it's a very worrying situation, I consider it to be 'the silent invasion'. Seems that the politicians can't see it!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I wonder what a Cypriot from a less touristy part of Cyprus would think driving down the streets of Peyia.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

staffie wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:39 pm been banging on about this subject for some time now, but obviously got called racist on most occasions, now thinking about getting a darker suntan so don't look the odd one out, no doubt backlash to come but you cannot blame them for a better life. :D
If you make racist remarks people will call you a racist.

Besides, in this day and age, it just makes you look stupid.
staffie

Post by staffie »

not really, the Cypriot culture is vanishing.
staffie

Post by staffie »

talk to a few Cypriots about it, are you stupid, no doubt get banned now, please yourself.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Nobody has been banned for ages. A few people have left, bizarrely from both sides of the political divide, which indicates that the moderation must be doing something right if both sides hate it. One person even saw the thread on Scottish Independence as their tipping point. To this day I still don't know whether they were for or against independence, but they were pissed off about something.

But no, the only cancelling that happens is on request. It is a pain in the arse too, as it means that some threads no longer make sense. But EU law states that if somebody wants me to delete their account, I have to do so, posts included. What I won't do is removing posts where people have quoted you. That is just too much work. So if you want to have a flounce and remove all trace of your presence, make sure you don't say anything quote-worthy.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Life Is Good wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:05 pm The reality is that illegal immigration is increasing and despite what is said on here Cypriot’s don’t like it. The demographics of their country are changing and due to skin colour it’s becomes more obvious. I’m told that right wing parties will gain more support at the upcoming elections, time will tell.
This is a classic “Straw Man” argument. Nobody has said that Cypriots are happy with the situation, so “despite what is said on here” is meaningless.

My objection was to the phrase “now thinking about getting a darker suntan so I don’t look the odd one out”. Your phrased it much better. Skin color does make it more obvious that there is a changing demographic. The fact that it is nearly 10% in the last few years is a huge impact which will cause problems with the Cypriots. Indeed, it already is. I had this discussion on Facebook, and received a wish-washy reply from a self-proclaimed expert that a global solution was needed. While true, it is about as useful an answer as waggling your hands and saying “something must be done”.

I don’t know what the solution is, but we should be able to discuss it without resorting to rather puerile racism.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Dominic unfortunately I don’t think anyone has a solution
baxi

Post by baxi »

channel 5 - ben Fogle in Cyprus . interviewing people on both sides of the green line ? ,
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

In Ben Fogle’s programme human trafficking appeared to be very lucrative business in the occupied area, the whole programme was exceptionally reflective
baxi

Post by baxi »

yes , did the guy say - smuggling cigs , fuel , people ? .