Looking for Cyprus Traditional Food/Drink Maker Recommendations

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CanadaNatasha22

Looking for Cyprus Traditional Food/Drink Maker Recommendations

Post by CanadaNatasha22 »

Any recommendations for a great bakery, cheese maker/dairy, farm stand, butcher, producer of olive oil, carob syrup/products, wine/grape products, fruit/preserves? Any village stores or restaurants that also sell some great locally made food products? I’m looking for tasty treats, but also looking for subjects for a series of articles I want to write about the traditional foods of Cyprus and those who make them.
PolemIan

Re: Looking for Cyprus Traditional Food/Drink Maker Recommendations

Post by PolemIan »

For carob syrup and other caroby things, Go to Carob King Black Gold in Ibrahim Khan in the old town.

Ian
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

A small bakery in town does Cypriot bread and cake specialities.

search.php?keywords=artisan+bakery&sid= ... aa9bb748a2

In the town Yeroskipou (just before Paphos) one can find several small producer of Cypriot delights like almond paste etc etc ...
It is situated on the main road opposite the very old Ayia Paraskevi Church which is five-domed and can't be missed.

It is known especially for the production of Turkish Delight or "lokum" (locally loukoumia or lukum). The town is the only place in the world which has protected geographical indication (PGI) for the popular dessert.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I don't like Loukoumia at all, but their almond paste is excellent quality, however that is not the point what I like or you don't like.
The original topic was about to find Cypriot traditional food/drink producers for a new member on this forum..... that's why I answered.

Max
CanadaNatasha22

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:32 pm I don't like Loukoumia at all, but their almond paste is excellent quality, however that is not the point what I like or you don't like.
The original topic was about to find Cypriot traditional food/drink producers for a new member on this forum..... that's why I answered.

Max
Thanks for the recommondations, Max. What do you do with their excellent quality almond paste?
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

There is a small but lovely carob museum in the village of Anogyra.
Louise :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

CanadaNatasha22 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:13 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:32 pm I don't like Loukoumia at all, but their almond paste is excellent quality, however that is not the point what I like or you don't like.

Max
Thanks for the recommondations, Max. What do you do with their excellent quality almond paste?
I used to just have a sweet treat and had a couple of spoons straight....however for health reasons I reduced the consumption nowadays. ( heavy on omega 6) Instead I eat much more walnuts (omega 3)

Max
CanadaNatasha22

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:54 pm There is a small but lovely carob museum in the village of Anogyra.
Thanks, Louise. I've been to that museum and agree it is lovely - as is the village. Their carob syrup was the best we'd had in Cyprus until I bought some in the Pissouri village store in June. When we were at the museum the proprietor told us that of the (3?) kinds of carob grown in Cyprus only one is used for carob syrup, and the rest are grown for animal feed. Goats I suspect!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Natasha, main use of the carobs is to export them....at my place they had a huge harvest this year, just 2 weeks ago, sold to a wholesaler for Export.
However they are also fed to chicken, goats, rabbits, pigs etc....

https://www.parikiaki.com/2022/08/cypru ... 7-to-2021/

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Actually agree with Mouse! Having tasted Cyprus Delight in both Gereskipou and in the North.
I also find the Greek version excessively sweet and soft.Also less flavour.. The Turkish Delight I found in the North is less sweet , more flavour and probably contains more gelatin giving it a firmer feel. To be fair, 'Chaque un a son gout'. As the French language puts it.
Maybe Canada Natasha should try both types should she plan a visit to the North of the island.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:08 pm Actually agree with Mouse! Having tasted Cyprus Delight in both Gereskipou and in the North.
I also find the Greek version excessively sweet and soft.Also less flavour.. The Turkish Delight I found in the North is less sweet , more flavour and probably contains more gelatin giving it a firmer feel. To be fair, 'Chaque un a son gout'. As the French language puts it.
Maybe Canada Natasha should try both types should she plan a visit to the North of the island.
Dee
There's a surprise :lol: