Mustard algae in pool water

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cheshire Lad

Mustard algae in pool water

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Having a problem with the pool lately.

As the chlorine level on the pool falls, as a consequence of the uv breaking down the chlorine, yellow algae emerges attaching itself to the pool wall.

I’ve used phosphate killer to remove what the algae feed on, which turns out to be only a temporary fix.

Here’s the lightbulb moment……

As a result of the pool level falling because of evaporation, I’m topping up the pool with mains water, and inadvertently ( I think) introducing more algae into the pool

My question is: Can I filer out algae with a filter at the point of entry to the house?

I appear to have a strain of algae called Mustard Algae. Hard to eradicate.

Anyone have an answer or a contact for mains water filters?

Regards
CL
Uncle D

Re: Mustard algae in pool water

Post by Uncle D »

You need to shock the pool, ie but a pool shock product in or put an excessive amount of chlorine in, do this in the evening and run the pump all night and the next day until it clears.
David
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Most important is to adjust the pH of the pool as chlorine acts only with the right pH. Every time you are topping up the pool it can change the pH. Algae blooms remove carbon dioxide from the water during photosynthesis, and this process slowly but surely raises the pH of your pool. It’s worth noting that algae thrives in a high pH pool, so the problem will get exponentially worse if left untreated.

Max
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

A good quality Algaecide like the one made by P S Swimline, from H2Owen will get rid of Green, Black and Mustard. be warned - use sparingly
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Aargent wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:54 pm A good quality Algaecide like the one made by P S Swimline, from H2Owen will get rid of Green, Black and Mustard. be warned - use sparingly
I've send you a message.
Louise :)
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thank you Aargent.
Louise :)
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Thanks everyone.
I think that we will give the h2owen product a go, and see where we get to.

However, I still think that we are .’ Importing’ algae via the pool top up system, and I’m still searching for an answer as to whether we can filter out at the point at which the water comes into the driveway
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Probably the water coming into your driveway is from a Mains pipe in the street feeding other houses.
Have you been in contact with any neighbours that have pools to see if they have the same problem, as I think they will be using the same water supply
Trev..
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Hi Trev.
Yes, we are in a small complex of 8 detached houses. Other owners are having the same problem to a greater or lesser degree.

Everyone seems to use a product called Starver x which destroys the phosphates on which the algae feed

The problem is…with the temperatures and the wind being so high in our part of the island, we have significant evaporation leading to more top ups, thus re-introducing the algae back into the pool

My ideal solution would be to treat the residual water in the pool and filter out any incoming algae at the mains water inlet, but don’t know if filtration will deal with this

Ian
CL
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Cheshire Lad wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:25 am Thanks everyone.
I think that we will give the h2owen product a go, and see where we get to.

However, I still think that we are .’ Importing’ algae via the pool top up system, and I’m still searching for an answer as to whether we can filter out at the point at which the water comes into the driveway
The problem with any algae comes normally if the pool water pump does not run enough hours. As soon as the sun is shining on the pool water and the water does not move algae are growing.

Most of our Green Air customers which invested in a solar pool pump have no issues with algae as the pump moves the water from sunrise to sunset, but also on rainy days,( just slower.)but the main advantage is that they don't pay a cent electricity for that.

Max
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I'm a Greenair customer with a Lorenz solar pump, which runs from dawn till late afternoon on free electricity from the sun. We had it fitted soon after buying a Quantum UV water steriliser, as, for the Quantum to work effectively, it has to have water flowing through it for much longer periods.
It is true, no phosphates, no algae, but it is expensive and time consuming to get rid of them. Starva X clouds the water and the phosphates form a thick sediment on the bottom of the pool which needs to be vacced to waste.
With the Quantum and Lorenz pump running for long periods, I am running our pool with just the addition of 1 chlorine tablet. I rarely have to put any of the chemical Greenair supplied for adding Oxygen to the pool. I've recently bought a pool computer so that I can accurately test for free chlorine, combined and total chlorine, ph, alkanility, cynauric acid plus a host of other things. Previously I was just testing for Oxygen, PH, chlorine and occasionally, phosphates. In June, I was running the pool with high levels of phosphates and just 1 chlorine tablet with perfectly clear water.
I'm still on a learning curve. It is lovely to swim in a pool with a very small amount of chlorine. Previously, when we had a neighbour looking after our pool, Rosemary's swimming costumes were only lasting a few weeks and the white material was always green.