Renting is a nightmare!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
wantoosoon

Renting is a nightmare!

Post by wantoosoon »

Is anyone else struggling to find anywhere to rent within their budget? It seems like all the affordable and reasonably sized properties vanish from the market immediately after coming on, and only expensive villas or tiny one-bed flats are left. My rent's gone up by a third in a year, and that seems to be reflected across the whole market. Agents and landlords are very difficult to contact and don't return calls. I've been looking for weeks now and I've only managed to view two places.

I recently spoke to someone who's been renting for 20 years, and she said it's never been this bad before. I need to move in less than a month and I'm beginning to get worried.
wantoosoon

Re: Renting is a nightmare!

Post by wantoosoon »

Indeed. We could buy but we don't know how long we'll stay in Cyprus. The other day I offered to pay six months' rent in advance for a house but was rejected. I can only imagine that someone else offered above the stated rent.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Have you tried driving around the area where you wish to rent. many Landlords put up a sign with a telephone number.
Also I have in the past seen adverts for renting on notice boards in supermarkets and Kiosks
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Try looking a few miles inland, rents are cheaper
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Rentals certainly have rocketed.......Why? :?..Of course the laws of supply and demand apply.But if that is the case why the sudden demand.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

WHL wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:58 pm Try looking a few miles inland, rents are cheaper
I agree unless you need to be near to your work, if you are retired then move to the hills but not tala/kamares, try tsada or koili, in tsada ask at the muchtars office they will know what properties are available
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Thanks for the tips, I'll try all these things. All I need for work is the internet, so I'm looking at the whole of Paphos district (and around Pissouri).

Regarding why rents have gone up so much, it's hard to say. Some people think the war in Ukraine has displaced a lot of people here. I suspect there are other factors too, like more people letting short term or selling now that Covid has passed (or paused).
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

I have to say - it doesn't help that so many property websites here are cluttered with listings for places that are no longer available. Perhaps they think it makes them look busier than they really are?
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Renting has become a very expensive option to say 10 years ago

If you like a certain village the Muchtar is a font of information - hope you find something soon
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Yioula wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:58 pm Renting has become a very expensive option to say 10 years ago

If you like a certain village the Muchtar is a font of information - hope you find something soon
Thanks, that's a really good idea!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm Rentals certainly have rocketed.......Why? :?..Of course the laws of supply and demand apply.But if that is the case why the sudden demand.
Ukrainian refugees, african asylum seekers etc, rich russians getting out to avoid call up now.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:27 am Ukrainian refugees, african asylum seekers etc, rich russians getting out to avoid call up now.
I don't think so. You do not let a property while the prices are rocketing upwards. You wait until they reach their peak (hopefully!) :twisted: :twisted:
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Devil wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:03 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:27 am Ukrainian refugees, african asylum seekers etc, rich russians getting out to avoid call up now.
I don't think so. You do not let a property while the prices are rocketing upwards. You wait until they reach their peak (hopefully!) :twisted: :twisted:
That makes no sense. People let properties when it's convenient or necessary for them to do so. As any investor will tell you, attempting to time the market is a mug's game.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

wantoosoon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:55 pm attempting to time the market is a mug's game.
I agree, up to the point that someone at the pub told you that the market is going to do this or that. Here, a house had big hand-painted 'For Sale' signs which recently disappeared. The owner told me that he was now waiting for the house market to stop rising before putting them back up again.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

WHL wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:27 am
Chaddy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm Rentals certainly have rocketed.......Why? :?..Of course the laws of supply and demand apply.But if that is the case why the sudden demand.
Ukrainian refugees, african asylum seekers etc, rich russians getting out to avoid call up now.
Absolutely spot on. Hundreds of Ukrainian refugee families and hundreds if not thousands of African and Syrian asylum seekers in paphos have swallowed the available rental stock. I put my rental apartment on Facebook recently and within 4 hours, received 75 enquiries.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Amelia60

Post by Amelia60 »

Have you tried Paphos direct