Bringing purchases back from the North

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Bringing purchases back from the North

Post by kansas »

While there last week we were told that purchases to the value of €75 could be taken from the South to the North by people who live in the North providing they have receipts for the purchases.

However, no one can confirm whether a similar allowance operates in the other direction, i.e. residents in the South returning from a visit to the North. Someone who lives in the South told us that there was a circa €300 allowance for purchases, again providing you show the receipts. This same person told us that bathroom suites and other items that are cheaper in the North have been brought back, but we found this a little difficult to believe.

I can't find any references to the appropriate information on-line so I thought I'd post this to find out if anyone has had experience of legally bringing back items from the North and, if so, what the allowance is.

Thanks in advance.
William Morris

Re: Bringing purchases back from the North

Post by William Morris »

We have brought back all sorts of items.

Lighting, carpets, clothing.

More than €500.

Never been stopped, never been checked, just passed through every time.

Scare mongering most of this talk about limits.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Mmmm, we have been checked, on the return journey from the North last year which is why we'd like to be certain of the limits (if any).
Kia Picanto

Post by Kia Picanto »

Austin7 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 pm I have never been over to the north and never intend to go there. Nothing against it's inhabitants but it remains an illegal State and I would certainly not support it by buying goods in the North to bring back to the Republic just to save a few euros :evil:

Indeed, you only need to go to Ayia Napa or even Paphos, where many 'fake' goods are freely on sale. 'Genuine' Michael Kors handbags can be had for a few squid- imported from the north, so I'm told. Haven't a clue who brought them to the south though. Any ideas? ;)
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks Road Warrior, useful information, will check next time.
WHL

Post by WHL »

If you have bought 100s of pounds worth of goods over from the north and haven't been checked, you are lucky others have been checked and fined, especially tobacco.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Many thanks Road Warrior, we will also check next time we cross in Nicosia to ensure they have the same info.
humpinghummer

Post by humpinghummer »

I was told that in theory you cannot bring anything over as its not a customs border, its a crossing or something like that. I had 200 cigs taken of me with a threat of a fine ;-) , but they did let me keep 2 x 20 packs which is the allowed amount.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Correct, it is not a "border" - it's a crossing point at a UN controlled buffer zone, which probably explains why there are no allowances as such.

Bags do get searched and although I only ever go through with a small handbag which contains my phone and reading glasses and very little else.... we've still been stopped. We also got stopped when driving through several times by the racecourse / Strovolos area.

They're very keen on catching ladies with designer "rip-off" handbags!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"