Goats of Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CanadaNatasha22

Goats of Cyprus

Post by CanadaNatasha22 »

I’m going to be in Cyprus (Pissouri) for a couple of months starting mid-October, and then semi-permananently starting spring 2023, and I want to write a series of articles about the relationships that people and the landscape have with the goats of Cyprus, particularly the Cyprus Shami goat. If you know people who run a goat farm or goat-based dairy, make goat cheese, are known for making excellent goat kleftiko, or you know a goatherd, I would love to get contact details and any information from you. Bonus points if you know someone connected to the Antoniades Farm in Pissouri. I’ve always enjoyed coming across goats in Cyprus, and am fascinated about how they affect a landscape and shape a country’s food culture.
wantoosoon

Re: Goats of Cyprus

Post by wantoosoon »

That's interesting. Are you writing a PhD?
CanadaNatasha22

No, I just want to give myself a writing project to work on that explores something unique or traditional to Cyprus. I knew I wanted food and/or landscape to be part of it, and when I started researching goats I was thrilled to learn about the Cyprus Shami goat. I think these goats are going to take me down a path that leads to eating really good cheese and kleftiko, and meeting some interesting people.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well your project sounds really interesting. Since most goats and goat farms are in the mountainous parts of Cyprus which are still wild and beautiful, and apart from scattered villages are more sparsely populated.
I wonder if you have any knowledge of the Greek language? Probably the majority of goat farmers and goat herders will have little knowledge of your language. Hope you can find a way around this, maybe someone who can interpret would be helpful.
Good luck.
Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

If you use Facebook there is a FB group for Pissouri which has many Cypriot members: It's name is 'I Love Pissouri'.
Link to FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pissouri
CanadaNatasha22

Kili01 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:17 am Well your project sounds really interesting. Since most goats and goat farms are in the mountainous parts of Cyprus which are still wild and beautiful, and apart from scattered villages are more sparsely populated.
I wonder if you have any knowledge of the Greek language? Probably the majority of goat farmers and goat herders will have little knowledge of your language. Hope you can find a way around this, maybe someone who can interpret would be helpful.
Good luck.
Dee
It’s true that communication will be a challenge, but I’m no longer surprised by how many Cypriots of any age or background are able to understand and communicate effectively in English. Communicating across a language “barrier” is just another part of this project that interests me. I have a neutral Canadian accent, and make sure I speak slowly, separate my words, and don’t use slang or colloquialisms when talking to non-native English speakers - and that has always served me well.

Thanks for your response Kili01, and it made me realize that at the top of my list should be figuring out ahead of time how to have something to say or read in Greek to introduce myself and what I’m looking for when I meet someone associated with goats. And there are at least half a dozen voice translation apps I could use, so I should pick one now and figure out how to use it. I'm probably interested in the communication aspect of this project as much as I am about the relationship between Cyprus and goats.