UKCA to close by Xmas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
tonee

UKCA to close by Xmas

Post by tonee »

Ukca to close by xmas...landlord wants to build a petrol station on the plot...crazy. :roll:
trevnhil

Re: UKCA to close by Xmas

Post by trevnhil »

Another petrol station. I would have thought that Paphos had enough already
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

More detailed information on the UKCA website under the heading

Important Message from the Council regarding the 'emergency meeting' 7/9/2022
https://www.ukca.com.cy/breaking-news
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

tonee wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:02 pm Ukca to close by xmas...landlord wants to build a petrol station on the plot...crazy. :roll:
As I read it, the landlord rents it out to a company that will build a petrol station, not building it himself. The landlord will get a lot more money for it.
Louise :)
emgee

Post by emgee »

Sad. So many of us had so much fun there over the years.

Good luck, Committee.

Alan
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Very sad news. However, Debbie's personal message said that the termination of the lease of the taverna building that the Club rented is very bad news. However the Club is now looking to find a potential new home if a suitable building can be found.
Lets hope so!

Dee
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

It is sad news. We were members of the UKCA during our 10 years in Cyprus. We made many friends there particularly in the Camera Club which we both belonged to and for any of you that might remember David Brindley who was a prominent member of the camera club and also played a larger than life role in the many pantomines that the UKCA produced, I have to advise you that David has sadly died and indeed his funeral will take place on Tuesday 13 September at Rhyl where he retired to some years ago
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Poppy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:26 pm It is sad news. We were members of the UKCA during our 10 years in Cyprus. We made many friends there particularly in the Camera Club which we both belonged to and for any of you that might remember David Brindley who was a prominent member of the camera club and also played a larger than life role in the many pantomines that the UKCA produced, I have to advise you that David has sadly died and indeed his funeral will take place on Tuesday 13 September at Rhyl where he retired to some years ago
He was a lovely man. I had the pleasure of appearing with him in the pantomimes and made some wonderful memories.
El tel

Post by El tel »

I would have thought there would be plenty of vacant premises to choose from , on the Agios Georgious road out of Peyia there is a wonderful property on the junction of the main road which has been vacant for some time and includes a swimming pool.

Terry
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

El tel wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:56 am I would have thought there would be plenty of vacant premises to choose from , on the Agios Georgious road out of Peyia there is a wonderful property on the junction of the main road which has been vacant for some time and includes a swimming pool.

Terry
It seems that most have already been approached but the rent asked is unaffordable to make it viable for the UKCA.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

But I think that the Club would want to stay in an area close to Paphos. Are there are any possibly suitable premises in the area around bar street for example for rent? The Club has a good record of carefully improving a taverna style building, adding new kitchen, toilets, redecorating, wiring etc. All of which I know that they have done to their present home over the years..

I thought that i'd read the plan to build a petrol station on that site had been turned down?
There are already 3 petrol stations, 4 if you count the one on the approach road into Peyia? The closest one to the town is on ToTK Rd.

Dee
John Fisher

Post by John Fisher »

I was a member of this club from 2002 to 2012 and up to 2007 the plan was to raise enough money to purchase their own premises.

At the beginning of 2008 the club had 250,000 euros put aside to find a property, but a new Committee decided to ask members for permission to use 40,000 from that fund to improve the rented premises.

Eventually by the end of 2008 the spend to improve the premises totalled over 200,000 euro and a lot was spent on extending the clubhouse which belonged to the landlord and registered as a 3 bed villa. Under Cyprus law the landlord could have asked for his premises to be returned to him as it was needed for a member of his family. So in real terms the UKCA had extended and refurbished the landlord's property and increased its value.

Many members were concerned about the reckless spending and decided to leave the club, others who continued to question the Committee had their memberships terminated to silence them. I did not in the hope that the pot could be rebuilt and one day new premises would be purchased by the UKCA and the club could be run rent free.

Unfortunately the members were hit with a bombshell as the UKCA had been caught defrauding the Tax and Social Security Authorities by paying employees “cash in hand” off the books. A 40,000 euro fine had to be paid and having spent all the reserves members were asked to contribute towards this fine. At this point I resigned my membership as I wanted nothing to do with this behaviour which puts Brits in a bad light.

So the latest episode just proves how those who complained were right and the UKCA no longer has a home, just chairs, tables and kitchen equipment.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Loads of lovely Cypriot tavernas and bars in the Paphos area not sure why people have to join a British club whilst living abroad.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:58 pm must admit on the face of it investing large sums of money in some one elses property is not some thing i would do, but there is always at least two sides to this and i would guess many members agreed with how things were run. Over the years i have been there a couple of times but on the second occasion i bought a drink at the bar and sat down at a table , a very rude man insisted i move as i was sitting in HIS seat , i moved, finished my drink quickly as i was most uncomfortable , as i left i thought , like hell im joining this place ! still many did enjoy it and i am sorry for them.
Same thing happened to us , when we first came to Cyprus some friends took us to the one in larnaca, Some old fart asked us in a rude way to move as it was his seat, a bunch of colonial types, out of a carry on film, couldn't wait to get out of there, and never went back
Tellboycy

Post by Tellboycy »

We had a similar problem when we arrived in 2002 re seats etc & attitude regarding the fact that my wife wasnt english & could only join as my add on.
John Fisher

Post by John Fisher »

Just a reminder to UKCA members re the impending closure, the same thing happened to the Phoenix Club who had their premises in Emba taken back by the landlord in I think 2011. They were able to find new premises and are still running the club eleven years later. So there is hope for the UKCA. Those who were members of the UKCA during its troubled times were kept informed of the background by a Blog called Playground Appeal Paphos which I note is still live albeit no postings have been made for several years. It is not only informative, but also written by persons with at time a sense of humour. I think the posting of November 16th 2011 sums up why the UKCA has never recovered from the loss of most of the funds. Newer member could well be advised to have a look at this blog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

To be fair a lot of comments refer to incidents that happened some time ago and the UKCA Social Club has been far better managed since Debbie Bell was appointed as Chairman and it is more 'modern' in its outlook.
Their website shows some of the activities and, in particular, the Welfare Unit provides a most welcome resource for those requiring medical equipment to help in their daily lives on a temporary basis. https://www.ukca.com.cy/welfare.html
A former member and having followed the ups and downs over many years, I certainly hope this club soon finds suitable premises.
Concerned Chlorakas

Post by Concerned Chlorakas »

I was not a member of the UKCA but do feel sympathetic to their plight, Perhaps some good will come out of it, After all its a good 300m to the next garage. If they incorporated a cafe, a hairdresser and particularly a womens nail bar, as all these things are sorely needed.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'We have not been able to find a suitable venue. We are looking for somewhere to rent that is affordable, as we are a non-profit organization. Ideally centrally-based, as the current location suits our members. We need a venue that has space for a kitchen, bar, library, welfare office, plus space for our activities. Parking is a must. The premises do not have to be as big as the existing club.

Time is running out for us. If you know of anywhere that may be suitable, please call Debbie on 99057368. Thank you.
**For info, the Latin Parish Hall, Doria Restaurant & Darcys are all unavailable**

Posted yesterday on UKCA Community Social Club FB Group by Debbie
darrow

Post by darrow »

We used to be members but stopped going because of the attitude of some who thought they owned the place! When the ban on smoking indoors came into force they thought it didn't apply to them. They used a back room, which was OK but the door was constantly left open! I am extremely sensitive to tobacco smoke and it made me feel ill! My husband asked them to close the door and a rude woman said she was a committee member and it was staying open! We never went back.