Consumers warned over imminent dairy product price inflation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Consumers warned over imminent dairy product price inflation

Post by Paphos Life »

As if the current inflation is not high enough consumers are warned that a third wave of high prices is on the way - this time on milk and dairy products. Farm milk prices are to increase between 30-33% and wholesale dairy prices between 14-17% in 2022, according to financial experts. ...

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Consumers warned over imminent dairy product price inflation

Post by trevnhil »

There is one thing that it is difficult to do without and that is milk in tea or coffee, or for having cereals with. So we will just have to grin and bear it. I have seen quite big price rises in fruit and salad items in past months, but when people stop buying them, they come down again..
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Keo litre cartons of wine in Smart have increased in price from €1.45 to €2.20 which is some increase, not that I'd buy it of course. 😉
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wow, that is a big increase. We use that 1lt boxed wine. Other places do sell it but usually at a slightly higher price than Smart
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am Wow, that is a big increase. We use that 1lt boxed wine. Other places do sell it but usually at a slightly higher price than Smart
It is Trev, a big hike in price. The cheapest we've seen it is in Phillipos in Coral Bay which was I think €1.40.
The white medium dry is pretty good.
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:10 am There is one thing that it is difficult to do without and that is milk in tea or coffee, or for having cereals with. So we will just have to grin and bear it. I have seen quite big price rises in fruit and salad items in past months, but when people stop buying them, they come down again..
You can actually substitute milk. There is non-dairy coffee creamer sold at smart. For cereals I've long been using "oat milk" which is sold at Lidl.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, there are a number of non dairy milks available, such as Soya, Oat, Rice and Almond.
Each have their devotees and many of the large supermarkets stock them.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Do the alternatives taste like Milk, or Soya, Oat, Rice and Almond?
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:15 pm Do the alternatives taste like Milk, or Soya, Oat, Rice and Almond?
The non-dairy coffee creamer tastes the same to me. But I may not be a gourmet. The rice and almond drinks I only use with chocolate powder and sweetener (I don´t drink plain milk either) and for me it´s close enough. My kids banned me anyway from consuming dairy products because of animal protection and environmental reasons.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Could always try UHT milk in a carton - skim, semi skim and full fat.

1 Litre of milk around 1.50 for fresh milk.
UHT anything from 1.09 to 1.29- Some times on offer in Lidl at 89 cents.

I have started to use it in 'brews'.
Happy to be back on the Island!
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:15 pm Do the alternatives taste like Milk, or Soya, Oat, Rice and Almond?
My wife bought one to try, we poured it down the sink.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I have one mug of coffee per day, so the price of milk does not effect me. (and then I use condensed milk) However I consume loads of other dairy products every day, like Kefir, Joghurt, hart cheeses,(I love Gruyere) soft cheeses which went up recently a lot in price.
I try to get my proteins (ca 100 gr) from milk products, fish and eggs, as I don't like too much meat.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 pm
The taste of a cold chocolate drink with Soy milk is not too bad. For 1/2 l drink I mix ca 30 gr of cacao powder and one tsp brown sugar with a tiny amount of hot water and fill it up with cold Bio Soy Drink (Lidl). To finish it, a small amount of cardamom mixed in. Plenty of protein (15 gr) and quite refreshing. (and healthy)

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 pm
The taste of a cold chocolate drink with Soy milk is not too bad. For 1/2 l drink I mix ca 30 gr of cacao powder and one tsp brown sugar with a tiny amount of hot water and fill it up with cold Bio Soy Drink (Lidl). To finish it, a small amount of cardamom mixed in. Plenty of protein (15 gr) and quite refreshing. (and healthy)

Max