Why you should consider moving to Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Why you should consider moving to Cyprus

Post by Jim B »

Photolady
You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. We had the heating on here in May as we we had several cold days. Even though the place is insulated its fairly big and the floors still get cold. The wife feels the cold so who wants to be miserable.
My electric bills here used to be horrendous and the fuel oil cost would bring tears to your eyes, the solar panels have brought the electric down to about €15 per month and hopefully the new air heat pump will help with the oil costs.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:40 pm Poppy, where did I say we have the heating on.

The post was about what we use when we need to use it. Only a couple of weeks ago it was necessary to put the gas fire on in the evening.

The gas central heating hasn't been on for several months. Our consumption is down but the monthly bill rarely drops much because the standing charges per day have increased.

We're on a monthly direct debit payment to spread the bills over a full year. It means you build up credit over the summer months to cover the costs over winter.

That's not happening as the kWh rate is increasing with every month that passes - not usage, which is down!

We're £120 in credit as of the fifth of this month
I consider a fire to be heating!! As I said we have required no heating at all ( we do not posess a fire) since the Spring . In fact it is so warm here that thinking of getting the old cypriot fan out of the shed!! So you did not say you were £120 in credit in your previous post leading people to believe that you were spending the amount quoted! This is what the media are doing - scaremongering I believe! Additionally your standing charges are far higher than ours and I believe higher than they should be according to Ofgen?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We're billed in arrears as the monthly payment is taken after the bill is calculated based on the readings we provide, so the £120 will no doubt be wiped out.
We've refused steadfastly to pay up front ages ago when they started trying to push everyone each month to massively increase their payments, eventually leading to Bulb being put into Special Adminstration, under the control of the UK Government. We're not on a fixed tariff.

Basically, we top up the difference as necessary.
Other than that, it's looking for another provider but I think whatever we all try to work around now, we're all between a rock and a hard place and just ride it out.

As for the fire, I've had a major infection which has pushed my temperature from one extreme to another and spent two full days under a duvet with the fire on.

The antibiotics are almost at an end now and I'm coming out the other side. On Monday, it was still high at 38.3 but seems to be stabilising. Still got follow up appointments and more tests to undergo.

There is no scaremongering, that's what the direct debit payment shows at the moment. Next month, we expect it to increase again as we get closer to October and the next step before January next year.

We haven't done anything different with the heating since we moved here in 2016. The GCH is on a thermostat and timed for on and off between a specific time. It's already off by the time we settle down to watch TV after we've eaten, hence why we put the gas fire on as needed, when we need it.
I've always been a person who feels the cold, even in Cyprus in the office in the summer. I wore jeans, t-shirt, trainers and took a fleece to the office.

Everyone is different. What feels hot to you is obviously different for me.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

All this has little to do with coming or living in. Cyprus....
kansas

Post by kansas »

Totally agree Kili01. For us coming to Cyprus meant living in a warm climate, feeling safe, able to live well on a single pension (this was nearly 20 years ago and only one of us had a pension at that time), no traffic jams, friendly helpful Cypriot neighbours, village life, easy access to all the places of interest, good Med diet, affordable housing, GESY. Things have changed somewhat, as indeed they have worldwide, but we're still very happy here and waking up to sunshine most days of the year really does brighten up the day.......
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Threads deviate, they always will.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.