Why you should consider moving to Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Why you should consider moving to Cyprus

Post by memory man »

Cyprus is a place that is a traditional island paradise, which is why it is called the ‘Jewel of The Mediterranean’. If you want to improve your quality of life, soak up some sun, or just get away from modern life and move somewhere else, then you should consider a move to Cyprus. Here’s why.

It has very high healthcare standards
You can find good quality healthcare in Cyprus, and you can also pick between public and private healthcare. If you have an EU health card you can get free medical care at the point of delivery for everyone from the National Healthcare System. If not, you can sign up for the healthcare system. Additionally, you will get free emergency care at government hospitals for everyone, and all the main cities have these government-run hospitals.

There is a high standard of basic healthcare in the country that can solve a lot of small problems, and you are not required to get any vaccinations because the rate of infectious diseases has been low for many years.

The island is slow-paced and focuses on relaxation
If you live in a large city or a place where you can hustle and bustle all the time, and you feel like all you do is run the rat race, then you need to take some of the money you have earned and hire an International removals to Cyprus company. They will get you all packed up and moved to Cyprus in no time, and then you can find a place on the island that can reintroduce balance into your life.

Even if you haven’t learned too much Greek, you will learn the phrase ‘Siga, Siga’ which translates to ‘slowly, slowly’ and you will hear it said by everyone. The people of Cyprus will teach you that every single experience you have is to be enjoyed and milked fully of everything it has to offer.

Meals and coffee breaks are savored and unhurried, everything is slowed down and calm, and you will also find that you can take the time to do very important things right. Additionally, family, friendship, and open spaces are all very highly prioritized.

The cost of living is low compared to the rest of the western world
There is a very low cost of living in Cyprus, with many people estimating that the cost of living is anywhere from 20-50% lower than living in Britain, and the cost of living is about 25% cheaper than living in other European countries. Additionally, there are a lot of options for living in Cyprus both on a budget and also if you have some more room in your wallet. One-bedroom apartments can come at around 550 euros per month, while a three-bedroom family-sized place runs at about 800 euros per month.

There are also low-income tax rates, a limited capital gains tax, low taxes for corporations, and also no taxes on inheritance. If you want to work and make some serious money, or if you want to retire and not worry about taxes cleaning out your savings, then Cyprus can be very good for you.

An international culture and a rich history
Along with the native population, a large number of immigrants from all over the world are coming to Cyprus due to a lot of the reasons listed above. The education is fantastic and top-notch, and you can also soak in an international culture naturally. If you like to learn more about the world, make new people and meet new friends, and rub shoulders with other cultures, then you should head to Cyprus.

Additionally, Cyrpus has a rich history and a lot of ruins for the history buff to explore. It hosted the Ottoman Empire, the British Empire, the Greeks, the Romans, and even the Knights Templar. There’s a lot to learn about this small island and how it became what it is today, and if you love history and want to examine the island, then you can do so.

Plenty of sun and fresh air
Finally, if you want to really improve your health, then you need to come to Cyprus solely for the fresh air and the sun. Cyprus is your traditional island paradise, with warm sand, clear oceans, and also fresh air with very limited pollution levels. Cyprus doesn’t have the same heavy levels of industry that a lot of other places do, so the air is a lot cleaner and that can improve your health.

If you want to move to Cyprus, then you are going to find a lot of reasons to go! So what are you waiting for, start packing!

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/08/09/why- ... to-cyprus/
WHL

Re: Why you should consider moving to Cyprus

Post by WHL »

Cyprus like any other country on the planet, is great if you have a few bob in your pocket, you can't live on sun and fresh air
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have moved the Brexit-related comments to Politics.

Regarding the article, their comments about air quality were stretching it a bit. While there isn't a problem with industrial pollution, dust is a big issue these days, especially during the Spring.

I think they should have emphasised more the focus on family and community life, as well.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:47 am
WHL wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 pm Cyprus like any other country on the planet, is great if you have a few bob in your pocket, you can't live on sun and fresh air
But you need far fewer bobs here than many other places
Les I get your point, but family's with children need alot more bobs then most of the retired expats with a guaranteed pension every month
they have to go out and earn it, in a very difficult economic environment right now.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The news in the UK papers is quite often about how much electricity and Gas have gone up and indeed how much they are still expected to rise in Winter and Spring.. There are talks of blackouts in Winter !!!
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor

Project fear at it again.

My current gas and electricity bills amount to roughly £45.00 per month. I am economical, but not miserly, with both. I have friends who avidly inspect the free meter, (which uses electricity), to see where they are spending most. Personally I fail to see why you would use one, we all know what uses the most energy by now.

As far as health care in Cyprus goes, I have experienced good and bad. Our main reason for returning to the UK, was purely down to the refusal by surgeons in Paphos Hospital, to operate when needed. Thankfully the surgeons in the UK did operate and cleared the chronic infection.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It was originally our intention not to return to the UK when we came out to live and work in 2004.

I transferred with my UK employer of 10yrs but hated the position and walked out after 4 weeks. So I was out of work.

I found another position 3 weeks later which lasted for around 18 months until the market dropped. Out of work again.

Twice at this stage we had looked at buying a property but each time, there was a title deed issue. So we were in long term rent at Cy£250 a month.

I found another job and was there for a while, then USA changed its laws in late October which meant we lost over 70% of our staff overnight.

At the same time we were again looking at property. I was one of the lucky ones, being kept on at work as they needed English mother tongue. Just as we were in the middle of our mortgage application at the end of December, we were individually informed the office was being closed and made redundant forthwith.
It was a good job, better paid as it was an offshore company and we got additional target bonuses for conversions.

So, the house purchase was shelved once and for all... We decided it obviously wasn't meant to happen and decided to stay renting. We had a good place with a great landlord and were there for 12yrs.

Another job in a similar line of work came by fairly quickly with another offshore company, good salary and I thoroughly enjoyed it, getting promoted before moving forward to a different role within the company. My salary increased and I reduced my hours twice to keep my salary under the threshold for tax and medical contributions.

But, we had to consider then my UK Government old age pension date had been pushed back from being received at age 60 to 66yrs.
This meant I would have to continue working to keep the income coming, although I would have been entitled to a Cyprus pension at 60, which has also changed.

We were mid to late 40s when we went to Cyprus, my husband being several years younger than me. A lump sum in the bank left from the sale of a 2 bed terraced house in a Lancashire mill town, after paying off the outstanding mortgage.

The life for us was comfortable, laid back and relaxed which was what was needed for my husband after a health scare that had just happened a few months before we met in 1990. Once it was resolved our plans to leave UK were already in place as we had been working towards it for over 2yrs.
But the later pension dates which we only found out by accident, was always at the back of our minds and we would always need to find the rent.

So when my dad got so sick that my parents could no longer visit we knew our time was over.
Luckily, we still had savings and as we hadn't purchased a property, we could go quickly as soon as we found a place in UK.

We were back within a few months of me telling my employer.

We've been exceptionally lucky enough to have the opportunity to experience our new life in the sun. Had we waited longer, given my dad passed away the same year we returned and my mum now is alone, it most likely wouldn't have happened at all.

The EU and freedom of movement is what gave us the opportunity.

You cannot just hop off overseas to live and work, as we did if you hold a British passport. An employer cannot take you without showing you are the only person for the position and must obtain a work permit.
The best way for people under pension age are those who can work remotely (online) with their income coming from outside of Cyprus.
Unless they have a shed load of money to "invest" in Cyprus for their golden passport ticket of entry.

So all that's on offer in the initial post looks and sounds fantastic, but in the cold light of day the world has changed and it's no longer the easy route it once was.
Also, think back over the years on this and the old forum of how many young families asked about moving out as to how much money they would need to earn to pay for schooling - and how many others came and couldn't get work, or found out their social insurance contributions weren't being paid by their employers. That also happened to me but the dragon lady in the SI office got straight on the phone to him when I reported it. She gave him very short shrift and my contributions appeared quickly after that.

Neither can you just relocate to another country if you are one of those lucky enough to be offered a job in Cyprus as your application for overseas work is reliant upon continuing to stay within that country.
If the job ends, and they do - lots of times, I've seen it in the various places I've worked and from conversation with people we've met there - then you have to hope another employer will take you on as a third country national.

For other EU citizens, I would say definitely try it - for British citizens, think long and hard.

Possibly for us now, the best we can hope for is a second home somewhere in Europe and skip between non-EU destinations or, just longer stay holidays.
We won't go through the hoops for a permanent residence overseas again.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Those who are considering moving from the UK to Cyprus, should also read the 'Politics Page.
This because part of the Cyprus Mail article quoted about free healthcare for British arrivals is in fact inaccurate in parts. Non permanent British arrivals, effectively need Private Healthcare Insurance, as these rules have changed when the UK left the EU.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:39 pm Trevor

Project fear at it again.

My current gas and electricity bills amount to roughly £45.00 per month. I am economical, but not miserly, with both. I have friends who avidly inspect the free meter, (which uses electricity), to see where they are spending most. Personally I fail to see why you would use one, we all know what uses the most energy by now.

As far as health care in Cyprus goes, I have experienced good and bad. Our main reason for returning to the UK, was purely down to the refusal by surgeons in Paphos Hospital, to operate when needed. Thankfully the surgeons in the UK did operate and cleared the chronic infection.

Jackie
I understood (according to my sisters) that many people have fixed contracts for gas and electricity at low rates for periods of 2 or 3 years, the problem is when the contract runs out as my elder sisters does in October the new unit rates then skyrocket.
Not Project Fear at all, just economical reality for most people.
josef k

Post by josef k »

There is a tendency to think of the article as being for the British, and therefore the pointing out of "inaccuracies". However, the British are not mentioned and there are many other nationalities to whom the article applies, can read English, and take the Cyprus Mail.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

With the proposed new requirements to meet ŕesidency for TCNs which I believe is purchasing a €250,000 property and.a €40,000 income I was wondering how many who moved here under the old requirements would meet the new criteria.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

The media in the UK is talking of energy prices being £4000 per annum. Unless you live in a huge mansion, I just can't see that.

Plus every household in the UK will receive £400 over six winter months towards the cost of energy, Ah but let's not mention that bit ! Plus people on WFA will receive £500 to £600 in December, but let's not mention that either.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly
If you average £4000 it works out about £75 per week for utilities, water, gas and electricity and the money everyone gets is a tenth of that and on WFA less than a quarter of the total sum suggested.
You forgot to mention the rampant inflation that is driving working people to Food Banks and also the WFA was cut by £20 per week which averages out at about £1040 and is around double of what they're getting back.
Oh and doesn't every household have to pay the £400 back?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I just spent two weeks in the UK and didn't see much in the way of rampant inflation. Nando's had gone up a bit since we last went a couple of years ago, but a lot of stuff in supermarkets still seemed reasonably cheap. And they had lots of types of cheddar, and copious amounts of pate. And big jars of marmite.

Petrol was eye watering, but about the same as Cyprus.

What they had an over-abundance of though, was traffic.

And very rude van drivers, who seemed to think it ok to park in front of a T Junction just to nip into a shop and get a packet of cigarettes. But I digress.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

josef k wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:11 pm There is a tendency to think of the article as being for the British, and therefore the pointing out of "inaccuracies". However, the British are not mentioned and there are many other nationalities to whom the article applies, can read English, and take the Cyprus Mail.
Do you have any figures?

I ask because I have very accurate figures for the readership of Paphos Life, and the vast majority of non-Cypriot hits come from the UK. So comments here will naturally have a British tilt.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

PhotoLady wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:39 pm It was originally our intention not to return to the UK when we came out to live and work in 2004.

[...]
Thank you for this. It illustrates why freedom of movement is such a boon for working-age people. Changes in jobs and incomes can make life very unpredictable and when your immigration status is tied to your job, that effect is amplified many times over.

Personally, I doubt I'll live in Cyprus for a long time. The weather's good, I love swimming in the warm sea and there are some great places to hike. The food is OK. However, I find it quite noisy here and some aspects of life are very frustrating - especially the bureaucracy, quality of housing and availability of products/services. In retrospect, Spain might have suited me better, but that's off the cards now unless I can find employment there.

Life in Cyprus is pretty good, but the government could make it so much better by properly enforcing laws, sorting out the courts and streamlining the bureaucracy.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:01 pm Firefly
If you average £4000 it works out about £75 per week for utilities, water, gas and electricity and the money everyone gets is a tenth of that and on WFA less than a quarter of the total sum suggested.
You forgot to mention the rampant inflation that is driving working people to Food Banks and also the WFA was cut by £20 per week which averages out at about £1040 and is around double of what they're getting back.
Oh and doesn't every household have to pay the £400 back?
8.2% and rising seems pretty rampant to me.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

wantoosoon wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 pm
PhotoLady wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:39 pm It was originally our intention not to return to the UK when we came out to live and work in 2004.

[...]
Thank you for this. It illustrates why freedom of movement is such a boon for working-age people. Changes in jobs and incomes can make life very unpredictable and when your immigration status is tied to your job, that effect is amplified many times over.

Personally, I doubt I'll live in Cyprus for a long time. The weather's good, I love swimming in the warm sea and there are some great places to hike. The food is OK. However, I find it quite noisy here and some aspects of life are very frustrating - especially the bureaucracy, quality of housing and availability of products/services. In retrospect, Spain might have suited me better, but that's off the cards now unless I can find employment there.

Life in Cyprus is pretty good, but the government could make it so much better by properly enforcing laws, sorting out the courts and streamlining the bureaucracy.
I moved here 20 years ago basically because I was working in Central Asia on a 28x28 rotation and like many of my colleagues we found it to very easy to travel to and from work. Cyprus was ideal because they offered excellent tax breaks as well. When Cyprus joined the EU it was icing on the cake as the EU laws allowed all EU Citizens to be resident in any EU country without "out of country restrictions" . We were fortunate during that period as there was plenty of work in both the Middle East, Africa and Central Asia so we had the best of both worlds.
We initially rented one of those beach houses in Coral Bay which was very nice at the time but after a couple of very humid Summers decided to move into one the villages above the humidity line and never regretted it. We have dogs barking occasionally and Cockerells crowing but now we don't even notice it's more a car driving past that has us looking out the windows. Of course the Church Bells make sure we're awake at 0630 every Sunday but we can live with that.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:44 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:11 pm I just spent two weeks in the UK and didn't see much in the way of rampant inflation. Nando's had gone up a bit since we last went a couple of years ago, but a lot of stuff in supermarkets still seemed reasonably cheap. And they had lots of types of cheddar, and copious amounts of pate. And big jars of marmite.

And very rude van drivers, who seemed to think it ok to park in front of a T Junction just to nip into a shop and get a packet of cigarettes. But I digress.
Screenshot_20220810_183136_com.opera.browser.jpg

Perhaps you were lucky in your choice of products in the supermarket
I can't help but notice that your chart shows page 1 of 6. The price rise is steadily decreasing in your chart, and by Page 6 it includes price reductions. The average price increase is a lot less than your figures quoted, because you have skimmed off the top 15%. Had you used Page 6 instead of Page 1, you could have argued (incorrectly) that there was no inflation. You are being equally disingenuous by only showing page 1.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:06 pm
Les Bean wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:44 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:11 pm I just spent two weeks in the UK and didn't see much in the way of rampant inflation. Nando's had gone up a bit since we last went a couple of years ago, but a lot of stuff in supermarkets still seemed reasonably cheap. And they had lots of types of cheddar, and copious amounts of pate. And big jars of marmite.

Screenshot_20220810_183136_com.opera.browser.jpg

Perhaps you were lucky in your choice of products in the supermarket
I can't help but notice that your chart shows page 1 of 6. The price rise is steadily decreasing in your chart, and by Page 6 it includes price reductions. The average price increase is a lot less than your figures quoted, because you have skimmed off the top 15%. Had you used Page 6 instead of Page 1, you could have argued (incorrectly) that there was no inflation. You are being equally disingenuous by only showing page 1.
At the end of the day the inflation rate is presently 8.2% with a projected peak of 13% according to the Bank of England so all in all not good.
I think you will also find petrol is much cheaper in Cyprus at €1.67.4 per litre here as opposed to £1.77.6 in the UK which is around 27 cents a litre cheaper. It's a pity that diesel is still very costly here, it cost me over €100 to fill my truck yesterday.