Electric scooters in heart of Paphos endanger locals and visitors alike

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Electric scooters in heart of Paphos endanger locals and visitors alike

Post by memory man »

The excessive and unregulated use of electric scooters in the heart of coastal Paphos is becoming annoying and dangerous towards both locals and visitors.

This is what Philenews reported on Monday, adding that scooters by majority but also some vespas are constantly overtaking pavements and lanes used by horrified pedestrians.

EU scooter directives provide that these can be used only in bicycle paths or bicycle lanes or in a space that is an extension of a bicycle lane – such as a communal area used by cyclists and pedestrians.

Or, in a square or sidewalk following a decision by the local municipality or local authority. And the maximum allowable speed is 15 km per hour.

Despite their constant protests and frequent complaints, the bleak situation in Kato Paphos port area caused by scooters and two-wheelers continues to prevail, according to both local businesspeople and visitors.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... ors-alike/
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Electric scooters in heart of Paphos endanger locals and visitors alike

Post by Dominic »

What constant Protests?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

We really need some new terminology in English to differentiate between electric sit-on scooters (a form of motorbike requiring a driving licence) and stand-on electric scooters (similar in form to the traditional children's toy; sometimes called 'kick scooters'). The former are really popular in China among urban delivery riders and are becoming more popular in the West. Confusing things further is the presence of sit-on electric trikes that you don't need to pedal. I've seen tourists whizzing about on these around the harbour, going far too fast. There are also stand-on scooters with seats!
EU scooter directives provide that these can be used only in bicycle paths or bicycle lanes or in a space that is an extension of a bicycle lane – such as a communal area used by cyclists and pedestrians.
I don't think there's any such directive. It's up to the individual states, hence the patchwork of laws across the continent.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think there were new laws passed recently were, riders will have to wear helmets, keep to the road and stay below a certain speed limit
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

On the coastal path the other day there were several of these trikes going much too fast, beeping their horns and scaring people.
It was the same from the Cabania to the harbour with the trike riders swerving between pedestrians..
I'm pretty laid back but did expect to be hit by one as we strolled along and do think they should be restricted, hit a toddler with one and it would kill them.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Jim B. See Memory Man's post above yours. They are restricted, but i doubt that anyone is policing the law
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I think the coastal pathways in built up areas should be just for pedestrians.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would agree with that. It is what they were built for.
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:43 pm Jim B. See Memory Man's post above yours. They are restricted, but i doubt that anyone is policing the law
Trev

I should have said enforced and I agree with you that until there's a serious accident a blind eye will be the order of the day.
I'm sure you'll remember when the motorcyclists used to do wheelys down the prom until one lost control and killed a German tourist outside the Aloe Hotel. It wasn't until then that the Police clamped down on them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think there already are pedestrian only signs on the coast path, though I could be wrong.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It's one thing having such signs, but they won't be effective unless supervised by the police, at least until everyone knows about the new law...

Dee
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I walked down the "Pambis Road" last night, I counted eight boys, all clearly under sixteen, on the electronic three wheeler bikes. They were spread across the width of the road and refused to move for vehicles travelling towards them and from behind.
Surely there must be an age limit for the hirers of these things.

I also noticed the number of these trikes speeding around the harbour areas as well and being driven by adults who should know better than they're driving style showed.
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

When I was staying opposite Pambis at the end of April there was someone hiring these scooters out from the front of the old kiosk. There were youngsters going up and down the road then. Dangerous.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Yeah, a friend of mine stays opposite the hire place. Says it's not too bad in general but the guy is continuously beeping the horns to attract passers by and it's becoming a pain
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

It would seem that the hire shop in Universal has now been closed down
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Cappielow1
Thats good