Laws regulating use of scooters and bicycles

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Laws regulating use of scooters and bicycles

Post by memory man »

With two laws that were enacted yesterday, the use of scooters and bicycles was regulated.

First, all bikers need to wear helmets. The law will be in force in six months, thus giving the time to bikers to be informed and get helmets.

Regarding scooters, regulations will be implemented immediately, except for technical specifications, since suppliers will need time to be informed and comply accordingly.

Scooters will need to move at 20km maximum, drivers will need to wear a helmet, will have to move in areas specific for bikers and not in the streets, while locall authorities will be entitled to issue licenses for the use of scooters in squares and pedestrian roads of their municipality.

Drivers should be 14 and over and will not be allowed to carry a second person on their scooter. Furthermore, scooters must have brakes, light at the front and at the back as well as a bell.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... -bicycles/
WHL

Re: Laws regulating use of scooters and bicycles

Post by WHL »

Some of those Scooters must be powered by Kryptonite, they flash past me on the road, should also need insurance, because as they get more popular, unfortunately it follows they will be having accidents with other motorists.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

What benefit does the law on cycle helmets have? Are large numbers of cyclists suffering head injuries? I doubt it, given that there are barely any cyclists in Cyprus the first place. What we actually need are cycle paths and better standards of driving, not measures that will make cycling even less popular.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Plenty of cycle paths on the east end of the island, but rarely see anyone using them for the intended purpose.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

bromerzz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:18 pm Plenty of cycle paths on the east end of the island, but rarely see anyone using them for the intended purpose.
Indeed also quite some cycle paths in Paphos, but cyclists are preferring to use the road here as well.
Louise :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There should be proper Cycle paths along the whole length of Coral Bay Rd, not just those micro, (very narrow) ones which are squeezed on the edge of the tarmac, These are barely wide enough from a safety point of view, and result in motorists having to take avoiding action to get past at all.

However on the whole, most cyclists seem to ride carefully, some wear safety helmets, and some wear bright coloured clothing which makes them easily visible to to other drivers.

But, those electric scooter riders, are a danger to both themselves as well as others. Some have no road 'sense' and ride either on pavements, or zigzagging on the road. Most have no headgear and I have seen a few wearing flip flops, not proper shoes. The sooner the new laws applicable to scooters are in force the better..

Dee
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

bromerzz wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:18 pm Plenty of cycle paths on the east end of the island, but rarely see anyone using them for the intended purpose.
Indeed, and that's probably why cyclists avoid them. Where I live now there are no cycle paths, but I used to live near some. They were always full of pedestrians (because the pavements had been narrowed too much when installing the cycle paths) and parked cars. It was easier to cycle on the road, though certainly no safer.

Nowadays I have to use the Paphos-Polis road to get anywhere, and that isn't safe for cyclists or pedestrians.

If the government wants to get people out of their cars, it hasn't made any serious moves yet.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

wantoosoon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:36 pm If the government wants to get people out of their cars, it hasn't made any serious moves yet.
Well, instead of measures like a reduced VAT or other restrictions to lower the price of hydrocarbons, they should double or triple the price! Would that be a "serious move" as a starter? But please note that I include all hydrocarbons, no matter their origin or purpose, not just the cost of "filling up" a car.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That would go down well, I don't think :-(
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

Legislation on use of electric scooters passed since July 14, but no one seems to care

Legislation on electric scooters in Cyprus was passed on July 14 but users seem totally unaware of its safety and other provisions – and no one is there to enforce it, either.

In fact, most users of the increasingly popular personal mobility vehicle do not wear helmets – something which is mandatory.

And even worse, they do not use designated bicycle lanes riding even on roads that do not provide access to bicycles.

Moreover, the minimum age for the use of e-scooters has been set at 14 but many times this is not the case. A high visibility vest at night time has been also made mandatory and their maximum permitted speed has been set at 20 kilometres per hour.

However, no one checks their speed and traffic police apparently have yet to get briefed on the specific obligations of electric scooter users.

An apparent extension of compliance has been given to users – mainly tourists and students – especially now in the summer. But a real problem will arise if a serious accident takes place.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... s-to-care/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It would be better if the police and or the traffic wardens took action before a serious accident takes place.
Because... it does seem like an accident waiting to happen.
Trev..
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Definitely proper cycle paths needed. Most roads have a good, wide shoulder and these could easily be made into proper cycle lanes. All that is needed is for them to be kept clear of vegetation and marked as cycle lanes. Also rumble strips or even orange markers between the cycle lane and the road. A number of buses and lorries(especially cement lorries), have driven past me with the wheels on the white line nearly knocking me off. Hi vis clothing and having lights on is also essential in bright sunlight. Dark clothing, and dark coloured bike, and you are invisible to motorists on roads where there is bright sunlight and then the shade of trees. The road to Akrotiri and Ladies Mile is particularly bad for spotting cyclists.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Waiting at the lights today when a guy on a motorised skate board came wizzing past, and believe me he was going fast, how he steers it, brakes etc is a mystery to me. :shock:
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

I was standing at the bus stop on Coral Bay Avenue early evening yesterday
and saw six teenagers (presumably tourists) on these bikes whizzing along the pavement from
Chalkies, Zentas and up to Samisen restaurant and then disappeared round the corner.. Very worrying as have never seen that many in close succession before and my impression was that none of them had any inclination or thought, about people stepping out from the entrances on what is supposed to be a public pavement .

I even saw one guy bring his scooter on to the mini-bus (607) a few weeks ago and prop it up right next to him!!- yet there are notices on the bigger buses about what you can and cannot bring on to the bus with you :o