Scottish independence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Re: Scottish independence

Post by Firefly »

Devil

I do not need your permission to post on any thread I wish to.

Keep your nasty comments to yourself.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:10 pm Devil

I do not need your permission to post on any thread I wish to.

Keep your nasty comments to yourself.
a). It is usually considered perfectly normal that you can post on any thread, but when you post on subjects that don't concern you, they are often "nasty", especially when your current post adds nothing about Scottish independence! :D :D

B). I fail to see what is nasty about my comments. In effect, all I said in the previous post was MYOB. :D
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I always thought "Flower of Scotland" was plagiarised from the folk song "Liverpool Lou" written by Dominic Behan in 1964 and sung by The Spinners but I may be biased.
josef k

Post by josef k »

As a Cornishman I can understand the Scots wanting independence from perfidious Albion.

Many of the above comments seem surprising. Surely all they want is their sovereignty back, control of their borders, and the right to make their own laws. Sounds somewhat familiar.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Is it any wonder that most of the female members no longer post on here.

What in Gods name does Scottish independence have to do with the Russian invasion of Ukraine...in a word nothing, just can't help trying to stir things up can you LB.

Devil, you never change, more's the pity.

Enjoy your games boys.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I also fail to see what Ukraine has to do with Scottish Independence.

Try to keep the discussion relatively cordial please.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Always makes laugh when it's referred to as Scotland's oil and gas when it's drilled and produced in the North Sea, you never hear the Irish refer to gas produced in Morecambe Bay In the Irish Sea as theirs. :( :D nor do you hear people referring to oil and gas from the Southern sector as English .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No it doesn't. It implies she doesn't care if Scotland leave the Union. That is the topic under discussion. Having to clarify that in her post would be silly.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bmwx5 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:55 pm Always makes laugh when it's referred to as Scotland's oil and gas when it's drilled and produced in the North Sea, you never hear the Irish refer to gas produced in Morecambe Bay In the Irish Sea as theirs. :( :D nor do you hear people referring to oil and gas from the Southern sector as English .
The Morcambe Bay Platforms are just off the Fylde Coast and most are plainly visible from the shore as are the gas platforms in the Southern Sector.
If Scotland was an independent country the vast majority of the oil production platforms would be in their territorial waters as the Southern Sector and Morecambe Bay gas platforms would be in English territorial waters, not Irish.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm Devil, you never change, more's the pity.
I hope not! I shall be blowing out 90 candles next week (I hope I have enough puff); do you really expect me to change?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was hardly disdainful, and why is it important to an English person who cannot vote in it? The result will be important, but why should we have to sit through over a year of hustings? They aren't for our benefit. We aren't the intended audience. And ultimately a lot of the rhetoric will be about how crap the Scottish think the English are.

If England was voting whether or not we wanted to leave the Union, and we expected everybody else to listen to our internal arguments without getting bored or offended, we would quite rightly be laughed at and accused of being arrogant.
El tel

Post by El tel »

The SNP used the phrase in their last attempt at independence of a once in a generation opportunity . All I can say is that life expectancy in Scotland must be very very short.

Terry
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

El tel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:19 am The SNP used the phrase in their last attempt at independence of a once in a generation opportunity . All I can say is that life expectancy in Scotland must be very very short.

Terry
Because in 2016 circumstances changed as lies were told in the 2014 referendum regarding continuing EU membership. They were dragged out of the EU against their will and many believe their future is better with the EU rather than a Union controlled by a nationalistic English party.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:28 am
El tel wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:19 am The SNP used the phrase in their last attempt at independence of a once in a generation opportunity . All I can say is that life expectancy in Scotland must be very very short.

Terry
Because in 2016 circumstances changed as lies were told in the 2014 referendum regarding continuing EU membership. They were dragged out of the EU against their will and many believe their future is better with the EU rather than a Union controlled by a nationalistic English party.

Personally I don't care one way or the other, its not a subject I wake up every day thinking about, re the EU, I was listening to the BBC the other day, and one guy was saying, it isn't a given that an independent Scotland will be allowed to join the EU, and problems changing to the euro etc .
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:25 am
Jim B wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:28 am

Terry

Personally I don't care one way or the other, its not a subject I wake up every day thinking about, re the EU, I was listening to the BBC the other day, and one guy was saying, it isn't a given that an independent Scotland will be allowed to join the EU, and problems changing to the euro etc .
Scotland getting back into the EU, maybe, maybe not but I think many Scots are fed up being dictated to by what after all is an English National Party. One only has to read several of the comments on here to understand that it's now a Union in name only as far as many English are concerned.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:25 am Personally I don't care one way or the other, its not a subject I wake up every day thinking about, re the EU, I was listening to the BBC the other day, and one guy was saying, it isn't a given that an independent Scotland will be allowed to join the EU, and problems changing to the euro etc .
It's very clear that if Scotland were declared independent, almighty hell would be let loose! I think that "changing to the euro" will be very very small on the agenda of the change. I think the last country which split to gain independence of part was East Timor and look what happened to them. Certainly, Scotland will not be accepted like Sweden and Finland but more like Ukraine.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What sort of border would there be?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:36 pm What sort of border would there be?
Enough to create merry hell. It would be like the Irish problem in trumps. Got to keep the Sassenachs where they belong!
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map ... _265153064 In response to the statement on territorial water limits currently 12Nm with the fisheries limit now at 200 N m
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:35 am
The Aquila wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 am
El tel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:54 am I think there would be a high percentage of English who would vote for Scotland to leave the union ,they are tired of being blamed for everything that goes wrong in Scotland . In addition Scotland is high maintenance and who else is going to fund them , the EU , China or Russia ?
Spot on!
You both tend to forget it was Scottish oil and gas that kept Britain's financial head above water for years and still does to a certain extent.
Surely it was British Oil & Gas….