Scottish independence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Scottish independence

Post by Devil »

As a Scotsman, I am theoretically believing that Scotland should have strong roots, but, practically, the referendum proposal by the First Minister is just absolutely bonkers! Not only that, her timing is very bad while Ukraine is also wanting independence from the Russian bear.

I have a gut feeling that Nicola Sturgeon will be on the way out before there is a new referendum – least I hope so because I see her as a harridan, unfit to lead the country by using what goes for brains!
WHL

Re: Scottish independence

Post by WHL »

I dont have a problem with having a referendum re Scottish independence, the only proviso being all UK voters get to have a vote, I doubt if the government would allow this, as I am guessing most of the UK would vote to kick the scots out, just my opinion.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

I'm not Scottish, but I can sort of understand the desire for independence. It makes no economic sense at all, and may even be damaging, but Westminster has been a dysfunctional joke for some time, and wanting to get away from it is rational. I hardly think that what's needed anywhere in the UK is another divisive, non-binding and narrowly won referendum though.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

The Scottish Sun, that well known newspaper of unbiased comment, has just conducted a poll.

The results showed that 74 per cent of people who took part in the poll would vote No and that we should respect the 2014 result.

Just under a quarter, 24 per cent, would vote Yes and think Scotland should be independent.

And two per cent are on the fence.

If nothing else it's an interesting set of figures.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I am Scottish and I'm already sick of hearing about "Indyref2"

The thought of wee pug face bleating on for the next 15 months or so is making me feel I'll.

I have no Braveheart type attitude towards English people and have many English friends, would I support England in the World Cup or Euro Championships, no, but then I don't want to see the two "big" Glasgow clubs win ANYTHING at ANYTIME either, and that's all down to the "we've got it won " attitude before a ball is kicked.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Quite frankly, speaking as an English woman, I couldn't care less, one way of the other.

I just wish that we had an independent English Parliament.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:32 pm Quite frankly, speaking as an English woman, I couldn't care less, one way of the other.
Then, I wonder why you stick your neb in matters that don't concern you :( :(
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Personally I would be sad if the Union broke up. I don't think there should be another referendum though, because I seem to remember all sides agreeing that is should be a once-in-a-generation thing. What happens if they lose again?

And another thing, the thought of over a year to debate this fills me with cold dread. If it is agreed that they can have one, make it in a months time and bloody well get on with it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

One of the reasons the second referendum is being proposed is because many Scots believe they were lied to over EU membership, 64% voting to remain as did Northern Ireland and it was only the English belt that gave Wales a leave vote.
As for Firefly 's comment, there is already an English National Party running the UK and most of the ultra right wing party members are now members of the Tory Party, most of the decent Tories have been expelled from the party.

Changed it for Dominic.
Last edited by Jim B on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No they haven't.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 pm Personally I would be sad if the Union broke up. I don't think there should be another referendum though, because I seem to remember all sides agreeing that is should be a once-in-a-generation thing. What happens if they lose again?
That's the thing, she's treating it like kids in the playground, by keeping it going until she gets the result SHE wants, a bit like the folk who want a public enquiry about something or other then when they get a result they don't like they bleat on until they do.

It's not a game of best of three🙄
El tel

Post by El tel »

I believe that if Scotland became independent the SNP would turn it into a one party state , I think they find democracy a bit of a nuisance .

Terry
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

If the English were given a vote on any referendum on Scotland leaving the Union, then I have a sneaky feeling the English would vote in favour of getting rid of the Scottish.
El tel

Post by El tel »

I think there would be a high percentage of English who would vote for Scotland to leave the union ,they are tired of being blamed for everything that goes wrong in Scotland . In addition Scotland is high maintenance and who else is going to fund them , the EU , China or Russia ?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lets not forget Scotland was an Independent country back in the day,
plus this will not go away, and the nationalists, will keep having referendums, until they get the result they desire.
On a side note, My favorite anthem is, Flower of Scotland, I don't have a drop of Scottish blood in me, apart from a drop of Black label now and again, but it always brings a tear to my eye when I hear it being sung, :?

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

El tel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:54 am I think there would be a high percentage of English who would vote for Scotland to leave the union ,they are tired of being blamed for everything that goes wrong in Scotland . In addition Scotland is high maintenance and who else is going to fund them , the EU , China or Russia ?
Spot on!
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:13 am Many English arrogantly substitute England for United Kingdom whilst being totally ignorant of the geography, history, and politics of the other countries of the Union
That's true, I'm often asked things like, "so what do you do back in England ?" When on holiday. Almost as bad as "oh, you're Scottish, so is it Celtic or Rangers then"😡

Another thing we hear a lot is the likes of Andy Murray being referred to as British, when he's winning, but if he's getting beat he's Scottish again.

It'll be a no from me when it does come around.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 am
El tel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:54 am I think there would be a high percentage of English who would vote for Scotland to leave the union ,they are tired of being blamed for everything that goes wrong in Scotland . In addition Scotland is high maintenance and who else is going to fund them , the EU , China or Russia ?
Spot on!
You both tend to forget it was Scottish oil and gas that kept Britain's financial head above water for years and still does to a certain extent.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:35 am You both tend to forget it was Scottish oil and gas that kept Britain's financial head above water for years and still does to a certain extent.
Don't forget their other great money maker: whisky!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:37 am "Flower of Scotland" a capella at Murrayfield is a stirring exhibition of National pride, but without aggression or vindictiveness
How good is this, goosebumps time.