I believe that this are good news: Turkey drops veto...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

I believe that this are good news: Turkey drops veto...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I am normally not posting about world politics on the forum, however this news I believe are good news. Hopefully at the Nato summit also the recent tensions between Turkey and Greece can be resolved.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/06/28/turk ... oltenberg/

Max
Kili01

Re: I believe that this are good news: Turkey drops veto...

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, very good news, that Turkey has dropped its previous veto so that both Sweden and Finland can work towards becoming full members of NATO.
Periodically, it seems that Greece and Turkey have 'spats' which can be resolved by talking to each other.
In a way its a pity that Cyprus is reportedly spending a huge amount on orders for 6 new attack helicopters for the National Guard. This money could have been spent on buying some heavy lift helicopters which can carry water to the inevitable summer wild vegetation fires which usually occur in Cyprus.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:24 am Yes, very good news, that Turkey has dropped its previous veto so that both Sweden and Finland can work towards becoming full members of NATO.
Periodically, it seems that Greece and Turkey have 'spats' which can be resolved by talking to each other.
In a way its a pity that Cyprus is reportedly spending a huge amount on orders for 6 new attack helicopters for the National Guard. This money could have been spent on buying some heavy lift helicopters which can carry water to the inevitable summer wild vegetation fires which usually occur in Cyprus.

Dee

Breaking news , Cyprus is under occupation by heavily armed Turkish troops, that might give you a clue, why they need to spend on their defence? :roll:
emgee

Post by emgee »

Uncle Sam has spoken.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I am sure that Biden played a behind-the-scene role just before the talks with Finland and Sweden and told Erdogan there will be no talks on the agenda for F-35's in the afternoon. So without fresh supply from Russia for the S-400 systems and no American F-35's, Erdogan would not be a happy bunny... :) beside high inflation, a weak lira etc etc...

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Just read this interesting piece of news. It seems this situation really doesn't affect the Republic of Cyprus, it's between other countries with specific needs. I suspect the chances of Biden allowing Erdogan to buy F35's, is pretty slim.So who would invade Turkey? It seems that Turkey who's on Friendly terms with Putin is safe enough.
If Turkey doesn't get extra armaments and the Republic of Cyprus doesn't' antagonise them, Turkey won't bother too much with their southern neighbour.
So why spend so much money acquiring these attack helicopters when there are so many other things which the island needs much more?
Whether or not Turkey decides to annexe the north, the Republic couldn't stop them..
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They could bloody well try though. It's called fighting for your homeland. Given that so many immigrants are chastised for not staying behind in their own country and fighting the good fight, I find it quite strange, though not surprising, that you think Cyprus should just let Turkey have their way.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Am intrigued to know why President Anastasiadis is attending a NATO meeting and chatting to Erdogan when he is not a member of NATO.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:19 pm Am intrigued to know why President Anastasiadis is attending a NATO meeting and chatting to Erdogan when he is not a member of NATO.

No Intrigue, The President was invited by the Spanish Prime minister , Spain are hosting the meeting,

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/06/29/nato ... o-leaders/
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Just read this interesting piece of news. It seems this situation really doesn't affect the Republic of Cyprus, it's between other countries with specific needs. I suspect the chances of Biden allowing Erdogan to buy F35's, is pretty slim.So who would invade Turkey? It seems that Turkey who's on Friendly terms with Putin is safe enough.
If Turkey does or doesn't get extra armaments and the Republic of Cyprus doesn't' antagonise them, Turkey won't bother too much with their southern neighbour.
So why spend so much money acquiring these attack helicopters when there are so many other things which the island needs much more?
Whether or not Turkey decides to annexe the north, the Republic is very unlikely to stop them..
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:13 pm Just read this interesting piece of news. It seems this situation really doesn't affect the Republic of Cyprus, it's between other countries with specific needs. I suspect the chances of Biden allowing Erdogan to buy F35's, is pretty slim.So who would invade Turkey? It seems that Turkey who's on Friendly terms with Putin is safe enough.
If Turkey does or doesn't get extra armaments and the Republic of Cyprus doesn't' antagonise them, Turkey won't bother too much with their southern neighbour.
Whether or not Turkey decides to annexe the north, the Republic is very unlikely to stop them..
Dee
We heard you the first time you posted this :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sorry,Not sure why this happened, didn't intend to post the same thing twice.
I also tried to delete the 2nd post, but this website wouldn't let me do it.

Dee