UK tourists to pay Cyprus visa waiver fee

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

UK tourists to pay Cyprus visa waiver fee

Post by Paphos Life »

Tourists from Cyprus' three largest markets, the UK, Russia, and Israel, must pay to enter the island next year after an EU decision subjecting all third-country nationals to a visa waiver fee. ...

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: UK tourists to pay Cyprus visa waiver fee

Post by Kili01 »

Is this a hare? As far as I know Cyprus is not part of the Schengen area. Not all EU countries are. In which case maybe this won't affect UK travelers to Cyprus, not intending to enter this zone.
So, is this article factually correct?

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Cyprus has applied to join Schengen.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes UK visitors are affected.

Lots of info here. It’s quite straight forward, it lasts for 3 years and was formulated back in 2016 to help combat terrorism. Only reason UK citizens now need it is because they are no longer in the EU. It’s not just for UK citizens, it’s for most countries around the world who are not in the EU or Schengen areas. https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-form-a ... on-section

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

I thought that security issues with the border between North and South would make any application unsuccessful.................hope it's unsuccessful as if they became part of Schengen trips to Schengen countries count in the 90 day rule, meaning even less time to be in Cyprus for us.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Princebytor wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 pm I thought that security issues with the border between North and South would make any application unsuccessful.................hope it's unsuccessful as if they became part of Schengen trips to Schengen countries count in the 90 day rule, meaning even less time to be in Cyprus for us.
According to the EU there is no border in Cyprus, Cyprus entered the EU as one country.

Despite joining the EU as a de facto divided island, the whole of Cyprus is EU territory. Turkish Cypriots who have, or are eligible for, EU travel documents are EU citizens. EU law is suspended in areas where the Cypriot government (Government of the Republic) does not exercise effective control. Cyprus has two official languages: Greek and Turkish; only Greek is an official EU language.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

The EU Home Affairs Commissioner has publicly stated that the 'peculiarity of the green line' makes it difficult for Cyprus to satisfy the requirements for Schengen
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The dictators in Brussels are off again 🙄🤬
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Don't be ridiculous. The UK left the EU. The EU are just treating the UK the same as they treat every other country outside the EU. What did you expect would happen?
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The EU say that countries can make their own rules and decisions but prefer them to follow “their rules”. Because Cyprus is small and has a relationship with the UK and Russia they bully them into it. It’s happened all along. The reason Cyprus had a financial haircut was because it was in the mire because the dictators wrote off the Greek debt to Cyprus. Why, because Greece were happy to tell the EU to shove it where the sun doesn’t shine but the EU had to do something to keep the club together.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This ruling doesn't just apply to Cyprus. It applies to the Schengen countries, of which Cyprus is applying for membership. When people join a club, they are expected to abide by the rules, or they can leave. If you leave, don't expect benefits of being in the club. You won't get any, because you left.

What exactly did you think would happen when Brexit became a reality? To turn around and blame this on Brussels is just burying your head in a bucketful of your own manure.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Brexit the gift that keeps on giving
martinshorthose

Post by martinshorthose »

Presumably, rather than pay the Visa Waiver fee, you could instead pay for a visa? I wonder how the costs would compare. If there's no visa possibility, then calling it a visa waiver doesn't sound quite right.
daveg

Post by daveg »

But as permanent residents with a MEU3...are we exempt when , say, coming back to Cyprus after a visit to the UK?
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

well surely if it's for non schengen people visiting schengen countries we would have had do fill one in any way as UK was not in the schengen area?
G.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's interesting. According to an FAQ I found, these are the countries affected:

the EU Member States which do not yet fully apply the Schengen acquis (those who are not
yet part of the Schengen area without internal borders): Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and
Romania1

The footnote (1) by Romania states:

Stays in these states are not calculated in the overall period of stay for the Schengen area. Instead the 90-day limit is
calculated individually for each of these states. For instance, after a 90-day stay in the Schengen area, the person can
immediately travel to Croatia and stay for another 90 days there.

While not relevent to this particular thread, I know people had been asking about the new Visa and its effect on other EU countries.

Full FAQ here:

https://www.eeas.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... aqs_en.pdf
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just found out the cost will be £7 for 3 years, not the end of the World.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:52 am Just found out the cost will be £7 for 3 years, not the end of the World.
Similar to the American ESTA and Canadian ETA systems then.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cappielow1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:59 am
WHL wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:52 am Just found out the cost will be £7 for 3 years, not the end of the World.
I last went to the states before covid, and if I remember right, there wasnt a charge for ESTA on the USA official site?
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:14 pm
Cappielow1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:59 am
I last went to the states before covid, and if I remember right, there wasnt a charge for ESTA on the USA official site?
ESTA was $14 for 2 years but I believe it's just gone up to $21