Application for obtaining a Tax Number

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poster12

Application for obtaining a Tax Number

Post by Poster12 »

I need to get a Cyprus Tax Number as I will be tax resident in Cyprus this year. I have downloaded a copy of form TD 2001 (Application for obtaining a tax number) and I will fill it in and send it off to the tax department to get a tax number.

I am in the process of applying for a one year Temporary Residence Permit (that will be renewable after one year) and my first appointment with Immigration is next month.

The form TD 2001 asks for an Identification number, either Cyprus Identity Card number (which I do not have) or Alien Registration Card number, which I also do not have yet.

So my question is this. Will Immigration give me an ARC number, or some other number, at my first appointment next month that will allow me to complete form TD 2001 ?

Or do I have to wait until Immigration send me a residence card or residence certificate in 6 months time, or maybe longer, before I can get the required number to complete form TD 2001 ?
WHL

Re: Application for obtaining a Tax Number

Post by WHL »

I think you have to get residence before being able to work
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

I am retired and not looking for work.

Anyone know the correct answer about how to get, or where to get, the required number for the TD 2001 form?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Make an appt with the Immigration Dept, first. They will issue you with an ARC no, and the necessary (initial) temporary residence form. You should do this as soon as possible after arrival, as your initial stamp in your passport is valid for 90 days (That is if you are from a non EU country..) Give the Tax Office a ring and enquire what supporting docs you will need to bring with you to an appointment. Alternatively you can also do this on line.

Dee
souniman

Post by souniman »

why do you need to gete a TIC.
As you only arrived this year you will not needto file a tax returnuntil next year. If you are from the UK you also have to advise HMRC that you elect to be taxed in Cyprus.
dodo

Post by dodo »

Your best bet us to email the tax department and get the correct information. I dont understand the urgency for you to get it.
I dont work nor receive a pension but was advised to get a tic so I emailed tax department who required a few details with one being my yellow slip number.
My husband has retired now so receives a military pension not old enough for state he went through an accountant who sorted all the paperwork for double taxation etc, but it's not something that happened overnight.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Thanks Dee,

Yes I already have my first appointment booked with Immigration for next month. The TD 2001 form that I have to fill in is asking for my ARC number, so if they give me an ARC number at the appointment next month it may be ok to use it on the TD 2001 form.

Will the ARC number that Immigration give me next month at my first appointment be the same number that is written on my Temporary Residence Permit/Certificate when I receive it in about 6 months?

I will also contact the tax department as you suggested.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Good, glad you already have your Immigration appt booked. Thats Step 1!
They should give you a list of any docs you need to take with you.If not, ask.
Once you are given an ARC no that's your ID no. It will appear on any subsequent forms you need for living in Cyprus, such as for eg, your Cypriot driving license.
Where tax (dates) demands are concerned, they are always a year behind what you'd expect (in UK for eg.)
So there's time foryou to sort this out. A locally qualified accountant can give useful advice.

Dee