Paphos Airport Car Parking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PolemIan

Paphos Airport Car Parking

Post by PolemIan »

After a fairly shambolic airport drop off and pick up experience a while back, I emailed Hermes to complain about the poor provisions there at the moment, especially the first and last impressions it creates for any first time visitors to Paphos. They responded quickly and advised that plans were in place to improve things.

Dropped my wife off there the other one day and was pleased to see they have cleared the overgrown piece of land by the small roundabout at the end of the approach road and contractors were beavering away. Possibly a big assumption but hopefully that means an additional parking area is not too far away.

Ian
trevnhil

Re: Paphos Airport Car Parking

Post by trevnhil »

There are certainly 'plots' of land available for extra parking spaces. Although I have no plans to travel in the near future, one part of this dilemma puzzled/worried me.
In the past when we have flown from Paphos we have booked 'out in the open' car parking space. But I have seen recent posts where members have said that the entrance to the barrier-controlled parking was coned off.
What ever do you do if you have been online and pre-booked a parking space only to find the car park entrance is coned off ???
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm There are certainly 'plots' of land available for extra parking spaces. Although I have no plans to travel in the near future, one part of this dilemma puzzled/worried me.
In the past when we have flown from Paphos we have booked 'out in the open' car parking space. But I have seen recent posts where members have said that the entrance to the barrier-controlled parking was coned off.
What ever do you do if you have been online and pre-booked a parking space only to find the car park entrance is coned off ???
I would just park in the general car park, and explain to the assistants what happened when you arrive back, im sure it would be ok.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But I thought the General Car Park was the one coned off when they were busy and where cars are booked in for one or two weeks stay. It is the one we have stayed in during previous trips.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:15 pm But I thought the General Car Park was the one coned off when they were busy and where cars are booked in for one or two weeks stay. It is the one we have stayed in during previous trips.
Sorry Trevor, im basing my answer on Larnaca, over here there is the general short stay carpark, and next to it the long term carpark, we always use it when going aboard, if I turned up and the long term car park which i had booked was full up and the entrance closed, i would just leave my car in the short stay, and explain to the attendants what happened when i returned back.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Trev...we use Park N Fly, five minutes from airport, excellent shuttle service €3 a day....
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

WHL wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:54 pm
trevnhil wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm There are certainly 'plots' of land available for extra parking spaces. Although I have no plans to travel in the near future, one part of this dilemma puzzled/worried me.
I would just park in the general car park, and explain to the assistants what happened when you arrive back, im sure it would be ok.
WHL,

The problem at Paphos has been that there are essentially 3 car parking areas; for rental returns, one for long stay and the general one that that many people use to park in when waiting to meet friends in the arrivals area. In my experience in the last 2 or 3 months it’s the latter that’s been coned off leaving people with the choices of either, sitting and waiting until the barriers open and if enough (people do that, the whole system gets clogged), if you have someone with you, they jump out and you go and wait somewhere nearby and wait for a call somewhere, or drive round and round in circles until you see your friends appear somewhere in the pickup area.

Recently I dropped someone off and it was coned off so I did as everybody else was having to do and just drive up to the entrance and stop the car so they can get out, get their case form the boot and off I go - ironically I could see empty spaces as I left. Not ideal, but when in Rome…. As I said though,, if you’re arriving in Paphos for the first time it doesn’t create a good impression. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like on a Wednesday.

It never used to be this bad. Arrivals are said to be around 80% of the 2019 peak so I’m struggling to understand the root cause of problem - unless it because the taxi drivers seem to have been allocated another chunk pick up area which have been enough to too it over the edge from busy to chaos and busier times. When I dropped the boss off around lunchtime on Monday, plenty of space to drop her off, so it’s very time specific.

The boss is flying back from London today after a business trip, so it’ll be interesting to see how things are progressing.

The boss used to travel from Larnaca to Heathrow a couple of times a month until about 3 years ago, at one point Hermes randomly closed off a large section of the drop off point which made for an entertaining 5 mins of chaos after a nice drive from this end.

If leaving the car at Paphos whilst away, based on my experience, I would also recommend Park n Fly - 2 or 3 mins along the airport road next to Base and Bonamare.

Ian
WHL

Post by WHL »

PolemIan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:57 am
WHL wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:54 pm
WHL,

The problem at Paphos has been that there are essentially 3 car parking areas; for rental returns, one for long stay and the general one that that many people use to park in when waiting to meet friends in the arrivals area. In my experience in the last 2 or 3 months it’s the latter that’s been coned off leaving people with the choices of either, sitting and waiting until the barriers open and if enough (people do that, the whole system gets clogged), if you have someone with you, they jump out and you go and wait somewhere nearby and wait for a call somewhere, or drive round and round in circles until you see your friends appear somewhere in the pickup area.

Recently I dropped someone off and it was coned off so I did as everybody else was having to do and just drive up to the entrance and stop the car so they can get out, get their case form the boot and off I go - ironically I could see empty spaces as I left. Not ideal, but when in Rome…. As I said though,, if you’re arriving in Paphos for the first time it doesn’t create a good impression. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like on a Wednesday.

It never used to be this bad. Arrivals are said to be around 80% of the 2019 peak so I’m struggling to understand the root cause of problem - unless it because the taxi drivers seem to have been allocated another chunk pick up area which have been enough to too it over the edge from busy to chaos and busier times. When I dropped the boss off around lunchtime on Monday, plenty of space to drop her off, so it’s very time specific.

The boss is flying back from London today after a business trip, so it’ll be interesting to see how things are progressing.

The boss used to travel from Larnaca to Heathrow a couple of times a month until about 3 years ago, at one point Hermes randomly closed off a large section of the drop off point which made for an entertaining 5 mins of chaos after a nice drive from this end.

If leaving the car at Paphos whilst away, based on my experience, I would also recommend Park n Fly - 2 or 3 mins along the airport road next to Base and Bonamare.

Thanks for the reply, I was answering Trev who wonrering what happens if you book a long stay, turn up and its closed.
Ian
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Update: there are big Earth moving ma Hines on-site to level off the land. Landing to the boss jumping into our car was exactly 30 minutes (including collecting hold luggage), which is pretty good. LGW was busier than she’s ever seen it, but flowing, not a problem for her staying in Bloc hotel on the airport overnight, but suggest anybody travelling via Gatwick needs to make sure they get there in plenty of time if they have book cars in for parking etc.
ast

Post by ast »

I Was at the airport today and all very speedy, flight landed and 20 mins later out of the front door, the car park situation was as normal, short stay opposite the terminal open and not over full. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I guess the main problem with car parks at the airport will be on the hotel 'turnover' days, namely Wed and Saturdays...

Dee