Transfer of vehicle ownership

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cappielow1

Transfer of vehicle ownership

Post by Cappielow1 »

Hi looking for some advice.

I was looking to buy a car in Cyprus.

I have found one belonging to a friend of a friend and agreed on a price etc.

Can anyone advise on the simplest way to transfer ownership, the current owner and I are both in the UK.
WHL

Re: Transfer of vehicle ownership

Post by WHL »

Found this on line
Changing Ownership of a Vehicle After Purchase

Changing the ownership of a vesicle in Cyprus, the form TOM9 must be completed. After you complete the form, you must submit it to the Cypriot Department of Road Transport.

You must present the following documents with you.

-Both seller and buyer must present an ID or passport.

-MOT certificate

-The seller must provide a proof of insurance.

The document must be signed from both the seller and the buyer. The forms for changing the ownership are also available in the English language and can be found at a local Citizen Service Center. If both of them the buyer and the seller go together with all the necessary documentations, the registration of the vehicle can be done immediately.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is my understanding that The Buyer must have insurance as well..
Trev..
Mike1940

Post by Mike1940 »

Also be advised that if you purchase the car in one persons name then if that person should suddenly die then the partner or spouse is denied use of that car whilst probate is going through. My car in Cyprus is in both our names so there will be no problems if anything happens and we can carry on as usual using the car. Another point as I understand it you have to have a Cypriot phone to purchase a car.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

When I bought a friends car we both had to sign the form together witnessed and stamped by the Mukhtar of the village
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I would be very surprised if it's possible to do a transfer of a vehicle whilst abroad. I have only bought or sold a vehicle while resident, and in person, in Cyprus. If buying a car here, the buyer and the seller usually go together to the Transport dept, together with all supporting docs. If the seller just accepts the money from the buyer, he will have no proof-whether the buyer has actually transferred ownership of the car properly. If not, should this vehicle be involved in an accident while driven by the new owner, or family, the original owner can find himself liable for any damage caused by the car.

Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

What about asking the embassy or a consulate of Cyprus in the UK whether they can help?
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

If you buy a car through a dealer then you usually don't have to go in the person. The dealer will look after all the paperwork after you have signed it.
darrow

Post by darrow »

I am in UK. My lawyer has power of attorney and will deal with the house and car after probate when tbey are sold,