Health Supplements

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Health Supplements

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Medical assessment would be interesting as some of the supplements you are taking have quite a high dosage...

There is no L-Arginine on the list, which I am taking, but not as a supplement. I produce it myself, mixing 50 gr of walnuts with 50 gr of pumpkin seeds, together with 80 gr dry fruit muesli, milk, cinnamon in a blender and ready it is. (=ca 1500 units Arginine) enough calories for the afternoon :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arginine
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Bitter Melon capsules (diabetes)
Cranberry D-Mannose (bladder infection remedy)
Anti-acid tea - to improve Ph in urine
Louise :)
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Austin7 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am I am constantly amazed by the plethora of supplements there are available in the local pharmacies. I was even more amazed when (at my request) I received through the post a supplement catalogue from an English company called Nature's Best which consisted of 104 pages most of which contained 2 or 3 products. Needless to say I had never heard of most of the products and had no idea without reading the description exactly what ailment they were supposed to benefit.

I do take a number of supplements and thought it might be interesting to see what other people take as I might be missing out on something of benefit. So I will kick it off by listing mine taken daily:-

Glucosamine & Chondroitin Complex (1000mg & 200mg)
MSM 1000mg
Krill Oil Capsule 1200mg
CoQ 100mg
Magnesium Citrate 150mg
Turmeric Capsule 745mg
Vitamin B1 - B6 - B12 (100mg - 50mg - 1000mg)
Methyl Folate 400ucg
Inulin 3g
Probiotic 14 strains
Saw Palmetto 160mg
L-Taurine 600mg
Small Aspirin

To put relevance to this I should say I am male (a few years the wrong side of 70) and generally in very good health (but there may of course be something I don't know about which could suddenly bite me on the backside :o )
Anybody else out there willing to share their own information?

Any room for normal food in this lot :?:

Shane
Last edited by ApusApus on Thu May 18, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Vino collapso economico taken orally on a daily basis... ;)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Be careful some supplements can do you more harm then good.....many reports if you want to check Google.
Varky

Post by Varky »

ApusApus wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 pm
Austin7 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am I am constantly amazed by the plethora of supplements there are available in the local pharmacies. I was even more amazed when (at my request) I received through the post a supplement catalogue from an English company called Nature's Best which consisted of 104 pages most of which contained 2 or 3 products. Needless to say I had never heard of most of the products and had no idea without reading the description exactly what ailment they were supposed to benefit.

I do take a number of supplements and thought it might be interesting to see what other people take as I might be missing out on something of benefit. So I will kick it off by listing mine taken daily:-

Glucosamine & Chondroitin Complex (1000mg & 200mg)
MSM 1000mg
Krill Oil Capsule 1200mg
CoQ 100mg
Magnesium Citrate 150mg
Turmeric Capsule 745mg
Vitamin B1 - B6 - B12 (100mg - 50mg - 1000mg)
Methyl Folate 400ucg
Inulin 3g
Probiotic 14 strains
Saw Palmetto 160mg
L-Taurine 600mg
Small Aspirin

To put relevance to this I should say I am male (a few years the wrong side of 70) and generally in very good health (but there may of course be something I don't know about which could suddenly bite me on the backside :o )
Anybody else out there willing to share their own information?
Any room for normal food in his lot :?:
Shane
I would be surprised if he had any appetite after digesting all this. But, hey-ho, if he is happy why not?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

No supplements, but prescription medication for heart and cancer. Diet reasonably balanced but no fads either for or against whatever condition.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Austin7 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:06 pm
I would be surprised if he had any appetite after digesting all this. But, hey-ho, if he is happy why not?
I was hoping for an adult sensible debate but I suppose it was too much to expect from some people. For information the list I quoted is swallowed in two mouthfuls of water so hardly bulky. :roll:

Unless you have a medical condition that requires medication or supplements then I guess you have to ask yourself the obvious question "If I eat a balanced & healthy diet then what additional benefits would I get by taking some extra supplements?"

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Austin7 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am
I do take a number of supplements and thought it might be interesting to see what other people take as I might be missing out on something of benefit.
I'd like to be your supplier. I'm sure you are ripping yourself off. If you have a reasonably balanced diet, you need no supplements, unless prescribed by a qualified doctor for a good, defined, specific reason. Just tell me which of the products you take you cannot find in normal food and why would you need to poison yourself with a product (probably in excess) with anything that is not in food?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:33 pm It wasn't always this way, but as you get older you realise that you need to take that bit better care of yourself if you are to see out 100, which I certainly want to.
King Charles III may stop the birthday telegram as not being environmentally friendly :-) I suspect that, at 85, I'm slightly older than thou art and I have no wish to degenerate to 100. It's bad enough at 85, taking more than 10 sec for the 100 m (nearer 10 min!). Quite frankly, on bad days, I feel I would welcome the Grim Reaper even though I'm still reasonably active, both physically and mentally, but the decline I've experienced is a right bugger.

No need to reply that it would be better for the forum if Devil did kick the bucket! :)
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Hey AR, you old fart😗😚

I take a daily (lge) capsule of Evening Primrose and Starflower oil combined, along with a 75mg Aspirin.

I defy any of you guys with dangly bits between your legs to tell me they do not help enormously with my HOT FLUSHES!!!! Try it if you dare.😅

Devil, you're just feeling sorry for yourself today. Pull your socks up boy and have a wee dram. 😙

Love, Maggie B
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

An article here on Glucosamine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine

Our dog has it on a daily basis - we give her 1000mg combined with 100mg Chondroitin along with a high strength cod liver oil with extra Vitamin D.

Me and hubby take a single multivitamin tablet plus a vitamin E capsule 400mg which we were given on prescription by the visiting village clinic GP when we lived in Cyprus. They kept doubling up our prescriptions for some weird reason but it means we're still well stocked up with them at the moment.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"