Petrol station attendants

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
wantoosoon

Petrol station attendants

Post by wantoosoon »

This might seem like a random question, but do attendants at branches of major petrol station chains work on Sundays? Or rather, are they supposed to be working?
memory man

Re: Petrol station attendants

Post by memory man »

wantoosoon wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:59 pm do attendants at branches of major petrol station chains work on Sundays?
Yes!

wantoosoon wrote:are they supposed to be working?
Why would they not be?
WHL

Post by WHL »

wantoosoon wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:59 pm This might seem like a random question, but do attendants at branches of major petrol station chains work on Sundays? Or rather, are they supposed to be working?
Dont understand your question?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

From my experience not all garages have petrol attendants on Sundays and the self service system is used because the main shop is closed.
You buy a pre set amount of fuel depending on how much you want to purchase and if there is an attendant then they will fill your vehicle and complete the transaction (I only pay with cash).
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

It's just that I think one may have tried to rip me off today. Also, although he had a company T-shirt on, he was sat in his car when I arrived, he was the only one working and the shop was closed. I was wondering whether these places are supposed to be self-service only on Sundays and if this guy was trying something on. The whole encounter seemed strange.

Basically, I paid 20 euros by card, then he walked over and started pumping, though I asked him not to. He only put 13 euros of fuel in the car and closed the cap. I assumed the tank was full, but on starting the car, found it was only 3/4 full. Then he wandered off and I didn't get a chance to ask him why he had stopped pumping early.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I often been helped by an attendant on a Sunday. Perhaps the nozzle just clicked off too early?
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:58 pm I often been helped by an attendant on a Sunday. Perhaps the nozzle just clicked off too early?
Yep, could be. This is partly why I prefer to pump the fuel myself!
josef k

Post by josef k »

It's not unusual for a single attendant to be at a station on a Sunday, with everything else closed. Neither is it unusual for them to be sat in their car when waiting for customers. The petrol stations find an attendant on duty is preferable to receiving numerous call-outs from people who can't work the self service machine.

As to why you were 3 euros short, I assume it was a result of the pump registering a full tank in error.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

On holidays in Paphos attendants at filling stations used to clean the screen as well as filling the car. What a great service but my only problem was how much to tip
WHL

Post by WHL »

I dont think he would be a scammer, with CC TV pointing on him, as Dominic says my local garage an attendant waits in his car, if you go to the station the owner will soon check up on how much the card registered and how much fuel was given out.
Mighty Sprite

Post by Mighty Sprite »

The way the self-service machine works is that you set a maximum limit on your card or pay a sum cash. You don't "pay" by card.

When you go to the pump it will only pump up to that maximum. If you paid by cash and don't use all the amolunt you lose the excess because it cannot give change. If you paid by card then only the actual sum pumped will be taken from your card.

If the OP set the limit at €20 on the card and the attendent only put in €13 then the card will only have ben charged €13. Check the statement.

The fuel flow may have been cut off before the tank was full because of the way it had been inserted and the attendent didn't bother trying to get more in.

If I want to fill the tank, which I usually do, I set a limit of €100 at the cash machine and then use whatever to fill the tank. I have never been charged the higher set limit.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mighty Sprite wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:37 am The way the self-service machine works is that you set a maximum limit on your card or pay a sum cash. You don't "pay" by card.

When you go to the pump it will only pump up to that maximum. If you paid by cash and don't use all the amolunt you lose the excess because it cannot give change. If you paid by card then only the actual sum pumped will be taken from your card.

If the OP set the limit at €20 on the card and the attendent only put in €13 then the card will only have ben charged €13. Check the statement.

The fuel flow may have been cut off before the tank was full because of the way it had been inserted and the attendent didn't bother trying to get more in.

If I want to fill the tank, which I usually do, I set a limit of €100 at the cash machine and then use whatever to fill the tank. I have never been charged the higher set limit.
If you put say twenty euro in the machine and you only end up using ten euro for example, get a receipt, you can then take it back to the petrol station and get the difference back,
my wife has done this on a few occasions, as she has miss calculated how much she needed to put in.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Or you can fill the car during the normal working week which avoids any uncertainty on a Sunday. Which is what I do.
Dee
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I have noticed the petrol pump attendants are now primarily of African descent rather than Eastern European and some work at more than one location, good for them if they are prepared to take such a job
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Refugees can take menial jobs like at Petrol Stations.
I usually tip €1 which gets my screens washed.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I preferred the E. Europeans who seemed to be more efficient when they were manning many petrol stations and who also had better manners.

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'the Cyprus Refugee Law provides that the person who is recognized as a refugee receives equal treatment as the citizens of the Republic as regards wage- earning employment. In other words, refugees have the same rights as Cypriot citizens to employment, hence there are no restrictions to any particular sector...'

'Asylum Seekers have access to the labour market one month after the date of the submission of their application for international protection, in specific sectors and occupations according to the relevant Decree of the Minister of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance'.

http://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/dl/dl.nsf/p ... enDocument
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

galexinda wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:53 pm 'the Cyprus Refugee Law provides that the person who is recognized as a refugee receives equal treatment as the citizens of the Republic as regards wage- earning employment. In other words, refugees have the same rights as Cypriot citizens to employment, hence there are no restrictions to any particular sector...'

'Asylum Seekers have access to the labour market one month after the date of the submission of their application for international protection, in specific sectors and occupations according to the relevant Decree of the Minister of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance'.

http://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/dl/dl.nsf/p ... enDocument
A young lady refugee from the Congo works washing dishes at the hotel where my daughter works and it was her who said they were limited to menial work which I suppose must be in reference to "specific sectors" in your post..
I must say the African pump attendants I've had dealings with have always been polite and friendly .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I guess like everybody else they respond to a scowl with a scowl.

Some of the most cheerful and helpful workers I have found work at the Green Points. Yet I still occasionally see people moaning about their rudeness. It makes me wonder how much of an ass they must have been to make them grumpy.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:39 am I guess like everybody else they respond to a scowl with a scowl.

Some of the most cheerful and helpful workers I have found work at the Green Points. Yet I still occasionally see people moaning about their rudeness. It makes me wonder how much of an ass they must have been to make them grumpy.
There's an African guy in the supermarket we use, I kid you not, the poor bastard probably hasn't got a pot to piss in, no family here, yet when you speak to him his smile lights up the place, he has taken to calling my wife mamma, and always shoots around the store room to get her the freshest produce,
agree with Dominic, whether your in the Bank or anywhere, give a smile you usually get a smile back.