Firemen save driver who attempted to cross river (photos)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Firemen save driver who attempted to cross river (photos)

Post by Paphos Life »

Just three days after the difficult and dangerous operation to save three people at River Xeros, who attempted in two different cases to cross the surging waters, another driver attempted to do the same thing, this time at Skarfos River in the district of Paphos....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Firemen save driver who attempted to cross river (photos)

Post by Dominic »

They say this happened at Scarfos Bridge. I presume they mean the road from Scarfos to Evretou. When will these people learn?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I saw several vehicles crossing the river at Tzefelos Bridge when it was in storm condition, more out of bravado than anything else I think.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I saw several vehicles crossing the river at Tzefelos Bridge when it was in storm condition, more out of bravado than anything else I think.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Some drivers must be crazy risk takers! Apart from risking death themselves, they expect the rescue services to risk their own lives to save them.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I personally prefer that kind of activity more than hunting...

Max
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thanks Max, isn't that just upriver from Foinikas on the Kseros River?
I did offroad driving in the desert in Abu Dhabi for several years and it was fabulous plus I was getting paid to do it as we were installing 65 gas wellheads. I had a Land Cruiser Amazon VX and what an amazing piece of kit they are. It was hot in the summer of course, up to 55°C some days and during the winter the rain was like we've just had the last couple of weeks with the Rig Roads we used a metre deep in water.
Also did the oil well fires in Kuwait after the first Gulf War, another Boys Own adventure.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Jim you have certainly lived an exciting life from a hairdresser to fighting fires in Kuwait but you forgot to add that you successfully ran a Paphos forum for many years. As they say in this part of the country, good on you me "Me Ol Mucker" :)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

jagwheels wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:59 pm Jim you have certainly lived an exciting life from a hairdresser to fighting fires in Kuwait but you forgot to add that you successfully ran a Paphos forum for many years. As they say in this part of the country, good on you me "Me Ol Mucker" :)
Jagwheels

I think you have me confused with my good friend Jim Cross who as you say ran a Paphos Forum for many years.
He helped me to find a place to rent prior to moving here 19 years ago when there was little information available.
I'll be forever be grateful for the time he spent assisting with our move.
Yes I have had an eventful life from the Artic Circle, to the North Sea, to India and Central Asia. I could write a book about it but I'm too busy arguing with HIC over Covid. 😉
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Please accept my apology but it is great to read your adventures & experience with JC :D
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:00 pm Thanks Max, isn't that just upriver from Foinikas on the Kseros River?
I did offroad driving in the desert in Abu Dhabi for several years and it was fabulous plus I was getting paid to do it as we were installing 65 gas wellheads. I had a Land Cruiser Amazon VX and what an amazing piece of kit they are. It was hot in the summer of course, up to 55°C some days and during the winter the rain was like we've just had the last couple of weeks with the Rig Roads we used a metre deep in water.
Also did the oil well fires in Kuwait after the first Gulf War, another Boys Own adventure.
Was it as extreme as this video, in Abu Dhabi? I think this video is near Episkopi picnic site, however I could be wrong.

That video from the same people is for sure down Marathounta, the area where the new highway will be built. The cars just passing my favourite crystal place :) :) Some years there were as much as 50 cars or more....

Max
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It was Max, especially down the Rig Roads where they used to tow the drilling derricks which had 3 metre tyres that would leave ruts about a metre deep. Sometimes the water would be lapping halfway up the side windows if a couple of wheels went into a rut.
The tracks used to be made of gatch which is like a dry plaster which was fine in the dry but once wet it became like driving on grease and even with 4x4s we had loads of roll overs, scary at times.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I never saw the fascination in off-roading for the sake of it. By this I mean driving up a river and driving back down again. If I have a destination in mind or I am out exploring, then I will go out on a limb. But driving across a muddy river just because it is there doesn't float my boat. Put it another way, if I was at a river crossing and there were two ways across, one that went above water and the other a rocky, off-road route, I would always take the safe route. I know some people who would drive there and happily spend the day driving back and forth across the rocky route.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic
When I was working out in the desert we would often pass Desert Safari Groups were people were paying a small fortune to be driven around the desrt dunes, different people enjoy different things.
I enjoyed doing the job I was doing but I wouldn't pay someone to drive me round.
Like you I have a 4x4 and it's high clearance, long wheel base but given the choice of fording a river or using a bridge I'd use the bridge.