Tuesday evening to be Cyprus' coldest so far

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Tuesday evening to be Cyprus' coldest so far

Post by Paphos Life »

Tuesday evening is expected to be Cyprus??? coldest so far, according to the Meteorological Service which also predicts heavy snowfall on Troodos Mountains and not just the peak.The freezing cold temperatures all across the Mediterranean island are the ???milder??? effects of snowstorm ???Elpis??? which batters Greece with extreme weather conditions since last weekend....

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Tuesday evening to be Cyprus??? coldest so far

Post by cyprusmax47 »

You can only pray that we don't get a long power cut in our area.... without electricity no heat, no warm meal at home...(beside TV, internet etc)
I wonder how EAC is coping with the demand on electricity without much wind and no solar for example today :!:

Max
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Mmmmm,so what does this say about,,,,,global warming?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm Mmmmm,so what does this say about,,,,,global warming?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That's the problem of relying on solar generated electricity, as I have posted previously. It's dependent on good weather.. Probably we'll continue to be reliant on fossil fuels at
least as a standby. Today my main heat source is a gas powered log burner and I also have kept my gas cooker.
But at least I'm not using so much electricity, and people living on the Troodos hills desperately need it, plus their wood fires to keep warm in the plunging temperatures.
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:23 pm About 12 years ago we installed a 12kW log burner and it's the best thing we ever did. Being open-plan it warms the whole of the downstairs and some heat finds its way upstairs too. Essential mid Dec to mid March.
I wonder how good your log burner would distribute the hot air without electricity which runs the fan. :)
(you told us in a previous post: ......
"Our log burner is set into a corner of the living room and, crucially, has a fan which shoots out copious amounts of the hot air which surrounds the burner box. At a guess I believe that without this fan our burner would only throw out one third of the heat it does with the fan turned on.")

Not to mention other things at your place running with electricity you told us: " powerful Vent-Axia in each bathroom and heated towel rails in the bathrooms. Problem solved. This is an issue in homes without central heating, which most here are."

So there are many things not working normal in a house without having electricity....

Max
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:07 pm
Chaddy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pmMmmmm,so what does this say about,,,,,global warming?

Tut! Tut! You're not supposed to call it that any more, but climate change :lol:
Thats news to me,why not :?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They call it climate change now because some idiots think that every time it gets cold it proves that there can't be global warming.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Tuesday evening to be Cyprus' coldest so far

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 am
cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:25 pmSo there are many things not working normal in a house without having electricity....
Max

Not for one minute would I dispute that Max. But life can still go on in a household deprived of electricity for a few days.

Most countries have months of oil-based fuels in contingency reserves. To the best of my knowledge it is still nigh on impossible to store electricity.

I posted several times already about a system from Solaredge which stores electricity one produced from his own PV modules in batteries to use it for various reasons (p.e. power cut) This is on a small scale though.
https://www.solaredge.com/StorEdge-solu ... -solutions

Larger electricity storage systems are installed worldwide in order to cope with the large demand in electricity.

What I really like is what I found on Wikipedia about a German company recycling old e-car batteries and produce power stores with them.
source: Wiki: "A 13 MWh battery made of worn lithium-ion batteries from electric cars is being constructed in Germany, with an expected second life of 10 years, after which they will be recycled"

perhaps you want to pimp your knowledge and read the whole article at Wikipedia page, however the most important part is that:

"As of 2021, the power and capacity of the largest individual battery storage power plants is an order of magnitude less than that of the largest pumped storage power plants, the most common form of grid energy storage. For example, the Bath County Pumped Storage Station, the largest in the world, can store 24GWh of electricity and dispatch 3GW while the first phase of Vistra Energy's Moss Landing Energy Storage Facility can store 1.2GWh and dispatch 300MW.[2] Grid batteries do not however have to be large, and smaller ones can be deployed widely across a grid for greater redundancy. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_s ... er_station

Max
jeba

Re: Tuesday evening to be Cyprus' coldest so far

Post by jeba »

The problem with storing electricity is cost. Much cheaper to buy a generator. Don't buy too cheaply though. I made that mistake and it broke down after less than 1 hour.