No Isolation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: No Isolation

Post by Jim B »

A comment I read said that Omikron may be milder but a small percentage of deaths from a very high number of infections is still a large number of deaths as can be seen by the daily Covid Death Total on the news channels.
As far as I'm aware there's no Herd Immunity for the likes of the Flu and Covid is a similar infection and people are catching different mutations a number of times. Whose to say the next mutation won't be the deadliest, I believe it was the third wave of Spanish Flu that caused the most deaths because those in power dropped their guard.
I can't really see what the problem is with the present restrictions, our lives go on, we have to show a document when we go into a shop, we wear masks and that's it. We go to restaurants and we go to the cinema, the wife does Yoga and dancing.
We've had workers at the house doing jobs so that's not a problem either, more trouble getting equipment imported than actually getting the work done.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Doesn't really matter whether it's the third, fourth, fifth or sixth does it?
ONS figures have always been available, I've quoted their results many times over years in the Politics Section.
By the way, the annual Flu Vaccine is never trialed on guinea pigs before being released to the general public.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

“The number of patients hospitalized in January with coronavirus has reached the levels of last August when the “Delta” mutation prevailed in Cyprus,” it said.

“But in terms of the number of seriously ill and deaths, January is the second worst month of the pandemic,” it added.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/cyprus- ... y-1-to-24/
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:38 pm Dee

Quite, anyone who chooses not to have the vaccine is risking their life, their age is immaterial.
I disagree - it is not a one size fits all solution.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:15 pm What facts do we have, other than past experience ?
What facts do we have? None whatsoever; we are starting with a blank sheet.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 am
galexinda wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:16 am“The number of patients hospitalized in January with coronavirus has reached the levels of last August when the “Delta” mutation prevailed in Cyprus,” it said.
And guess what, the number has completely stabilised over the past two weeks, and if anything, is going down slightly, day by day.

Given that 80% of those dying are the "unvaccinated", how much emptier would the hospitals be if the anti-vaxxers did the right thing and got the jab. They ARE the problem.

Jim B wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:01 amI can't really see what the problem is with the present restrictions, our lives go on, we have to show a document when we go into a shop, we wear masks and that's it. We go to restaurants and we go to the cinema, the wife does Yoga and dancing.
We've had workers at the house doing jobs so that's not a problem either, more trouble getting equipment imported than actually getting the work done.

But we do so Jim while living in what my UK daughter-in-law regards as "a Police state", where we live our lives under prescripted rules and regulations and threat of punishment or fines. I personally agree with continuing to wear masks in shops and public places, but the rest of the nonsense (like wearing a mask walking along a street) should go.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say Lloyd but I would suggest your daughter in law have a chat with my wife about living in a Police State and ask how her family are still under curfew with the threat of being shot if they break it.
We are all governed by rules and regulations in all aspects of our lives and we get punished or fines if we break those rules.
I personally find Cyprus one of the most laid back, easy going, Liberal countries I've ever been to and I've been to a few.
The Covid numbers have stabilised because of the regulations, not in spite of them.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think we're our own worst enemy. The ID request is a additional government requirement because people were borrowing phones to bypass the vaccination requirement, showing ID confirms you are who your Covid Pass says you are. Don't blame the goverment or the people who are doing the checking, blame the people who are ignoring the rules.
My daughter has two children at shool and she and husband are quite happy to follow the rules if it safeguards their three children's health.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:02 pm They may not yet accept it, but other countries are eventually going to have to follow the UK's lead.
I have yet to be convinced that the UK members are out of the woods. Another resurgence is always possible and could be catastrophic if the country is caught with its pants down.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

COVID-19 vs. the Flu

Influenza (the flu) and COVID-19, the illness caused by the pandemic coronavirus, are both contagious respiratory illnesses, meaning they affect your lungs and breathing, and can be spread to others. Although the symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu can look similar, the two illnesses are caused by different viruses.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... vs-the-flu
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
As I posted earlier, it was the third variant of Spanish Flu that caused the most deaths, not the first which contradicts your theory and it was because as Devil said the authorities were caught with their pants down.
If we followed your theory then Flu would have faded away but it hasn't, some years it's a mild form and others it's severe, there's no hard and fast rule and that's the same with Covid. Deaths with Omikron yesterday in the UK were registered at 489, as you keep claiming Omikron is only a mild version but the death toll has rocketed and that's down to the lackadaisical approach by the British government which you want to introduce here.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Omicron deaths, as with the Delta variant in the UK, are listed as such if someone dies within 28 days of a positive test.

Therefore anyone who is terminally ill with anything else, and would have died anyway, is still classed as a Covid death if tested positive. Indeed it is said that even people who sustain fatal injuries, e.g. in an RTC, are still classed as having died of Covid.

The numbers are therefore confusing, and cannot be taken at face value. Indeed the BBC news is now stating that patients may have died of other causes, after announcing the numbers of deaths.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We don't acclimatise to it, Sweden tried herd imunity and look where that got them. It's rampant in Russia and Central Asia because they took the same approach as you want to take.
Japan and Korea have used face masks for years to contain the Flu and it works, cases of Flu have plummeted over the last couple of years in Europe directly due to the wearing of face masks.
If wearing face masks benefits the vulnerable in society I really can't understand your objections, it's a small inconvenience as far as I'm concerned.
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:33 pm Omicron deaths, as with the Delta variant in the UK, are listed as such if someone dies within 28 days of a positive test.

Therefore anyone who is terminally ill with anything else, and would have died anyway, is still classed as a Covid death if tested positive. Indeed it is said that even people who sustain fatal injuries, e.g. in an RTC, are still classed as having died of Covid.
Like so much of the speculation which has been thrown around during covid, that is quite simply not true.

If someone who is terminally Ill in the UK, contracts covid, goes into hospital and dies from their terminal illness, the death certificate will state the terminal illness as the primary cause of death. It may or may not list covid as a secondary contributor depending on the specific circumstances, but it is not used as some sort of 'catch all'.

Pete
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Was this sudden relaxation in the "rules" to try to control the spread of the virus, just lifted by Boris in order to placate and distract many of the UK population from his current shambolic denials of his own rule breaking?
Or is that too cynical?

Dee
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I started this off about daughter in law having Covid and stepson not having to isolate, well predictably he has it now, as he says how many contacts has he possibly given it to..
Last edited by Sheer Khan on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I imagine I've got antibodies against Colds and Flu but it doesn't stop me catching both mild and serious viruses. Covid is a similar virus to Flu and can be caught time after time and appears to be much more transmissible. People are being reinfected with Covid as different mutations develop. some of whom have since died.
In fact on Sky this morning it showed there had been 789 recorded Flu infections against nearly 12,000 Covid for the same period which indicates Covid is more virulent than Flu. Another pointer to low Flu levels since the pandemic started is due to spacing and the wearing of masks

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph- ... -pandemic/

As I said earlier if Herd Imunity was the answer Sweden would have stuck with it.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Sheer Khan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 pm I started this off about daughter in law having Covid and stepson not having to isolate, well predictably he has it now, as he says how many contacts has he possibly given it to..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Paphos Pete, the BBC must have it wrong then !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

For people who recover from COVID-19, immunity to the coronavirus can last about 3 months to 5 years, research shows.
Immunity can occur naturally after developing COVID-19 or from getting the COVID-19 vaccination.

Because the length of immunity after developing COVID-19 or getting the vaccine is unknown, practicing physical distancing and wearing a mask need to continue to stop the spread.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... at-we-know
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

From PHE

4. Outline of PHE data series 4.1 Definition of COVID-19 related deaths There are 2 definitions of a death in a person with COVID-19 in England, one broader measure and one measure reflecting current trends: 1) A death in a person with a laboratory-confirmed positive COVID-19 and either: died within (equal to or less than) 60 days of the first specimen date or died more than 60 days after the first specimen date, only if COVID-19 is mentioned on the death certificate 2) A death in a person with a laboratory-confirmed positive COVID-19 test and died within (equal to or less than) 28 days of the first positive specimen date.