No Isolation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sheer Khan

No Isolation

Post by Sheer Khan »

Step daughter in Law in the UK fully vaccinated just caught the virus, mild just like a bad cold so far, James step son has been told he doesnt have to isolate because he is fully vaccinated, if true this is crazy whats to stop him not showing symptoms but having the virus and passing it on to anybody he comes into contact with
71 Trans Am

Re: No Isolation

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Its being passed around like sweets now where i am and most people have had it or will soon get it and seems no worse than a mild cold or sniffle - nobody seriously ill with it anymore - certainly looks like it has run its course unless some dodgy mutation comes along to spoil the day - Good thing so far is nobody seems to get it twice and people who have not got are just mixing with those who have without a care
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It seems to me that Omicron has come along to save the day. as you say Trans Am, we will all get it at some stage now, and as this strain causes nothing worse than cold symptoms, (unless you're not vaccinated of course) we can all move on with life as we knew it pre Covid 19.

I have however, heard of people who have had it twice.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

If it was only that simple,
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Why is it not ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:38 pm Why is it not ?
Because nobody knows! Nearly everything is pure speculation and this post is an example of it.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I don't accept that.

We moved on after the Spanish Flu pandemic, we moved on after plague. Once vaccine was available, we moved on after smallpox, TB etc.

We can only wrap ourselves up in cotton wool for so long.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:57 pm I don't accept that.

We moved on after the Spanish Flu pandemic, we moved on after plague. Once vaccine was available, we moved on after smallpox, TB etc.

We can only wrap ourselves up in cotton wool for so long.
With the diseases you mention, the vaccines were made conventionally. With coronavirus, the vaccines are unconventional (which is why they are short lived and why they were developed so rapidly). It will probably be a number of years before we get a vaccine for it which would be developed conventionally, i.e. using the whole weakened virus.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As I understand it, the vaccine was developed so rapidly because a basic vaccine had already been produced, all it needed was a tweak to make it applicable to Covid 19.

Science moves on, as does everything else.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

People just need to get on with their lives now. People can either take the vaccine or not. Meatloaf was against it, and he died of it. 80% of the people in hospital with it haven't been vaccinated. Considering that most people are now vaccinated, not being vaccinated means you are much, much more likely to wind up in hospital.

We still socially distance when we go out, but can understand why people don't.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm
Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:38 pm Why is it not ?
Because nobody knows! Nearly everything is pure speculation and this post is an example of it.
Exactly
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Devil wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:03 pm
With the diseases you mention, the vaccines were made conventionally. With coronavirus, the vaccines are unconventional (which is why they are short lived and why they were developed so rapidly). It will probably be a number of years before we get a vaccine for it which would be developed conventionally, i.e. using the whole weakened virus.
The Chinese have two such inactivated vaccines, CoronaVac and Sinopharm, and a couple of billion doses have been produced. However, their efficacy is lower than the western vaccines, especially against Omicron.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

Wrong, we do know from past experience of pandemics.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Rather than look at the facts too many people are making them fit their assumptions.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

What facts do we have, other than past experience ?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Talking to a younger person today, he was quite confident that because of his age and the fact that his job is mainly outside and he is physically fit, he isn't worried about getting Coronavirus.He thinks that the symptoms are mild.
Yet, having just read on line,a statement from a person in charge of the Eastern Govt Public hospitals this evening. She said that 80% of their Covid patients in the 3 hospitals are unvaccinated. Of the ICU patients,the age range is from 31 to 86 years. So, it just isn't true that young people can't have serious symptoms. Sometimes fatal.
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

Quite, anyone who chooses not to have the vaccine is risking their life, their age is immaterial.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 pm WHL

Wrong, we do know from past experience of pandemics.
Says you. I will listen to the experts, cheers.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Sheer Khan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 pm James step son has been told he doesnt have to isolate because he is fully vaccinated, if true this is crazy whats to stop him not showing symptoms but having the virus and passing it on to anybody he comes into contact with
People without symptoms are recommended to use the free LFT tests on a regular basis in order to not pass on infection whilst being asymptomatic.

This however, would be far more useful if the distribution of said testing kits were better.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:49 pm Flu is still with us after how many decades...and each year it's a different variant. Anyone remember Hong Kong Flu in 1968?
My mum had it, I was 10yrs old, she was 27. The doctor was coming to see her twice a day as her temperature was hovering at 102 degrees Fahrenheit.
She couldn't eat, struggling with fluids, my dad had to support her to reach the bathroom and she couldn't see properly due to the temperature and headaches.

She was warned if the temperature went any higher, it was a hospital admission for her.

She was sick for many weeks and lost well over a stone in weight, she only weighed 8st as her normal weight and like me, a height of 5' 7".

Always healthy, still is now in her 80s, never gets a cold or a headache and her job at the time was building kitchen and wardrobe units, the only female doing that job and earning the same weekly wage as the other blokes. Her foreman fought for her wage to be matched.

You should see her reaction even now if someone says they've had the Flu when they've been unwell for 3 or 4 days with a cold 🤐🤫
"Have Camera, Will Travel"