Internet provider advice.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Peatsie

Internet provider advice.

Post by Peatsie »

A few months ago we changed our internet provider to receive a speed of 30 Mbts and a bigger range to allow us internet when in the garden. Since then to be quite honest we have been disappointed with our new provider because of the number of times we lose the service. Prior to changing to our current provider we were assured that the weather would not affect our service, which quite clearly is not the case. Every time there is heavy rain the internet cuts out. Prior to changing providers we researched things as best we could, including searching on this site, but some of the posts were at least a couple of years old, and a lot can change in a couple of years.
Has anyone else had problems during the recent heavy rain and high winds?
We live above the stadium in Peyia and would appreciate other people, who live in this area, views on who they would recommend. We were previously with Cyta but left them because they could only supply a maximum speed of 20 Mbts, other than that we were happy with them.
Please only positive advice as I do not intend to badmouth companies where people are trying to make a living. If there is anyone who was not happy with their provider please feel free to pm me.
Thank you.
Peatsie.
WHL

Re: Internet provider advice.

Post by WHL »

Cyta for me , their service is second to none, and are changing customers to fibre optic now, we are being hooked up any day now, our 20 speed will go to over 100 for the same cost each month
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My advice would be to ask your neighbours what they use and if they're happy with it.
jonjo

Post by jonjo »

Hi

I am with Cyta and get 36 Mbts coming into the villa for 52 euros a month.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Peyia and with CYTA. Very happy with them.
Louise :)
holitec

Post by holitec »

Hi Peatsie,

One of the issues with wireless providers is exactly what you are experiencing. Quite a few now use 60GHZ for their main bridges, which is subject to major rain fade - works fine in clear weather, but in poor weather it simply drops out. This is also why we moved to fixed lines to avoid the interference that wireless suffers during the summer as there are now too many providers all using the same frequency space.

If you give Jemma a call on Monday (26821412) or pop into our shop in Coral Bay, we can discuss the various options for you. Fixed line is far better, especially in poor weather. We use the cyta infrastructure as well.

Digby
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

I use Ecotech's wireless service and have had no problems, even with the horrible weather lately. I have line of sight down to the Paphos transmitter though. I believe there's also a transmitter in Peyia.
Peatsie

Post by Peatsie »

Thank you for your replies so far. We had spoken to our neighbours prior to changing and most were using 10Mbt. We have friends who live less than 100 metres away who have 30Mbts with Cyta but we are unable to receive this because we are serviced from a different box. We were also advised that fibre optic cable as about two years away from being connected in our area. We were interested to hear that WHL is being hooked up any day now, where is this WHL.
Peatsie.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Peatsie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:16 pm Thank you for your replies so far. We had spoken to our neighbours prior to changing and most were using 10Mbt. We have friends who live less than 100 metres away who have 30Mbts with Cyta but we are unable to receive this because we are serviced from a different box. We were also advised that fibre optic cable as about two years away from being connected in our area. We were interested to hear that WHL is being hooked up any day now, where is this WHL.
Peatsie.
Larnaca, we are a street or two away at the moment, we were told by cyta, our address will be hooked up by next weekend
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just remembered if you go on the Cyta online site, there is somewhere on there, that you can put your post code, and find out when your area will be upgraded to fibre optic internet
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Louise :)
jeba

Post by jeba »

Maybe try the epic homebox: https://www.epic.com.cy/en/page/H1lhg23 ... nd-homebox
A friend told me that you can get out of their contract prematurely for a small fee if it doesn´t suit you.