Troodos Ice Festival

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Troodos Ice Festival

Post by Dominic »

Every year in the Troodos Mountains, Mother Nature holds an ice festival. If you visit the area to go skiing or to throw a snowball at your wife, be sure to set aside some time to go off-piste and marvel at some of the exhibits on display.

Read the article and chat about it below...

troodos-ice-festival_masthead.jpg
troodos-ice-festival_masthead.jpg (138.67 KiB) Viewed 781 times

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Re: Troodos Ice Festival

Post by jagwheels »

I sometimes make a comment on the blue skies but this blog shows the diversity of Cyprus. Skiing not for me but tobogganing is good fun. Some of your quips made me smile :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well, just in time 3 brand new fire trucks arrived these days, thanks to the equipment purchased – blades and snowblowers — they can be converted into snowplows in the winter to clear roads as well.
source: https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/01/18/thre ... epartment/

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Nice photos! Have been up Troodos many times in the past. Certainly anyone who ventures up there in these conditions must drive a proper 4x4 SUV or similar.And not one which isn't equipt with proper 4 wheel drive or snow chains! I remember my husband driving up there early one Sunday. We noted various cars, including Mercedes which have low ground clearance. Most were crammed with 3 generations of the family. All went well, until we reached the snow. Although the road had been snow ploughed, there was a Merc full of people ,its wheels spinning uselessly on a patch of ice in the middle of the road, blocking it. The driver revving the engine trying to move forwards. Eventually, the police arrived and assisted the driver to turn his car around. They then headed back down the road again.
Must have been disappointing for those people, but it just illustrates the Police advice to only attempt this drive if you have a suitable car!
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was surprised with how many 2 wheel drive cars we saw up there that were equipped with chains. People seem to be cottoning on to the fact that they are needed.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Just seen the yellow weather warning set for the period from 5am-17.00pm tomorrow.
Gale force winds of force 7 on the Beaufort Scale., rain or snow showers, plus a drop in temperature.It doesn't seem a good day to visit the mountains. Or the coast, as seas will be rough.

Dee