Pellet burner

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Sadie

Pellet burner

Post by Sadie »

Has anyone swapped a log burner for a pellet burner?
I currently have a log burner and the chimney goes through the ceiling, I’m hoping not to have to cap off the current chimney and have problems with the roof at a later date
TIA
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
emgee

Re: Pellet burner

Post by emgee »

Sadie

At present there are no pellets to be had in Cyprus. I am freezing.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I understand that wood-burning (including pellets) is becoming a bit of a no-no because of the concomitant pollution emitted by various chemical compounds. These include chemicals within the wood itself, chemicals in the weak adhesive and chemicals generated by combustion. On top of that, the soot generated contains another cocktail of particulate contaminants. There could also be some economic problems created by insufficient production capacity.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:35 pm I understand that wood-burning (including pellets) is becoming a bit of a no-no because of the concomitant pollution emitted by various chemical compounds. These include chemicals within the wood itself, chemicals in the weak adhesive and chemicals generated by combustion. On top of that, the soot generated contains another cocktail of particulate contaminants. There could also be some economic problems created by insufficient production capacity.
Not all bad news then :lol:
emgee

Post by emgee »

I'm more freezing than ever.

Alan
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

All very interesting, but it doesn’t answer my question
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Yes it does answer your question. If you can't get the pellets what is the use of a pellet burner, so continue with your log fire or – better – use a heating system which doesn't directly or indirectly pollute or, at least, minimally.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Are the pellets going to be available at some point? or have they finished and no new supplies?
Mark

Post by Mark »

lotus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:47 pm Are the pellets going to be available at some point? or have they finished and no new supplies?
Pellets are available at the pellet shop, in the precinct next to St George’s Hotel, price increased this year fro 6 to €7, a bag in this cold weather lasts me 2 days, normal weather for 3 days,

Easy to clean and operate, set the temperature and flame height, press a button and of it goes.

Very little ash, just some soot on the viewing glass, which cleans easily.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The pellet stove also self cleans when it is switched of, I have found any remaining ash is easy to clean with an ash hoover, circa €30 from ERA diy centre, takes 2 mins, as long as I replace the filter monthly, no probs.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

From articles I've read I think log burners and the like have a short future due to environmental and pollution issues. I remember when everyone burnt coal and that was phased out and recently burning peat was restricted in Ireland as they turn to renewable energy.
We often hear chain saws around the area where we live as people go round chopping trees down to get fuel and pretty soon there'll be no trees left.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:28 am
We often hear chain saws around the area where we live as people go round chopping trees down to get fuel and pretty soon there'll be no trees left.
Specially carob trees locals are after because they burn very long and release that nice smell. However they never wait 2 years before burning the wood.
It needs that time to burn properly in the fire place with much less pollution fumes. Very good are the small branches one can find under old carob trees which are dead wood and start a fire easily with very little fumes...

Max
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

emgee wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:22 am Sadie

At present there are no pellets to be had in Cyprus. I am freezing.
Saw some bags of pellets today at Paphos home market
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Seems to be plenty here and they deliver all over.

https://www.homegardencyprus.com/en/cat ... od-pellets