Scrapping a Car

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CYWALL

Scrapping a Car

Post by CYWALL »

Good morning all, I will be scrapping my car shortly due to various reasons, I have a scrap merchant/ dismantler lined up to collect it, who's going to give me the relevant form for the transport department in Pafos. My question is, as I won't be able to visit there would anyone know if would I be allowed to just post it to them.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
WHL

Re: Scrapping a Car

Post by WHL »

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I thought the scrap merchant would fill the form in, you sign it and then he takes/ sends it where it needs to go. But you certainly do need to make sure that the car is 'written off' as far as the licencing people are concerned.
Trev..
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 am I thought the scrap merchant would fill the form in, you sign it and then he takes/ sends it where it needs to go. But you certainly do need to make sure that the car is 'written off' as far as the licencing people are concerned.
Hi Trev, yes he will be completing the form, and I'll take it off him. I was just enquiring would the transport department accept it by post as I may not be here.
But since my post I've found I will be here and have made an appointment with the Citizens Advice? in Pafos Post Office, and hand it to them, instead of the usual long queue at the transport department.
Thanks.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Best to go and hand over the form, making sure it has been deregistered otherwise you will be still liable for road tax etc
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

CYWALL wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 am Good morning all, I will be scrapping my car shortly due to various reasons, I have a scrap merchant/ dismantler lined up to collect it, who's going to give me the relevant form for the transport department in Pafos. My question is, as I won't be able to visit there would anyone know if would I be allowed to just post it to them.
Good post cywall there are so so so many opinions ( down at the pub of course ) on how you scrap a car. :?
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

We scrapped my partners car at the end of December, the scrap yard provided her with a certificate of destruction, she then made an appt with the citizens office and went through the process in about 5 minutes....... all very straight forward.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 pm
CYWALL wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 am Good morning all, I will be scrapping my car shortly due to various reasons, I have a scrap merchant/ dismantler lined up to collect it, who's going to give me the relevant form for the transport department in Pafos. My question is, as I won't be able to visit there would anyone know if would I be allowed to just post it to them.
Good post cywall there are so so so many opinions ( down at the pub of course ) on how you scrap a car. :?
My comment wasn't from anyone 'Down at the pub' My crashed car was with a repairer on Yeroskipou estate, but it was not economical to be repaired.
So the company got me to sign a form to say it was scrapped, and they did all the rest of the work.
Trev..
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Flyer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 pm We scrapped my partners car at the end of December, the scrap yard provided her with a certificate of destruction, she then made an appt with the citizens office and went through the process in about 5 minutes....... all very straight forward.
Morning Flyer, can I ask who gets to keep the log book in these situations, as I thought I could keep it to take along
to my appointment at the CAB office along with the scrap certificate, or does the scrap merchant keep the log book.
Thanks for any info/advice all.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

We kept the log book and had to take it to the cab office, the scrap yard gave us a certificate of destruction to take along with it.