Coptics

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
lotus

Coptics

Post by lotus »

Well the Coptics are happening true to schedule so far this year,both happening within a day or so of the forecasted dates😉
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Coptics

Post by Dominic »

A stopped clock and all that. And let's face it, predicting storms in January isn't hard.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

True,will wait and see about the next one due in a few days just out of interest,sleeting here at the moment!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Seriously, I am more than happy to start a diary again. We did it once before, and I cam at that with a completely open mind. My current sceptism is based on the results of that experiment though!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Thanks,like any weather forecast it's never totally right,but in my 20 years in Cyprus I have found the Coptics are quite often on time give or take a day or so,and also what area you are in,we all know it can be sunny in Paphos but pis.ing with rain and blowing a gale up in the hills,like in Choulou we get some quite extremes of weather
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have a copy of the notice about the Coptic Gales. In case WHL wants to know more, I was given this about 18 years ago. It is secured to the fridge door with a fridge magnet!
A gale called El Federa el Sagira ( The large feeder gale) was due today 19Jan, but arrived yesterday. The next gale is due on or around the 28 Jan. It's called The unamed gale.. we' ll see!

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Go to "advanced search", type in 'Coptic storms 'and then type in 'Dominic' and you should get a thread with about 37 posts. This summarises Dominic's monumental work in analysing the frequency of the events. I agreed with his results.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Isn't it just all down to weather, wherever in the world we all may be and why TV weathermen and women can give an approximation of what to expect at best, 3 days ahead?

Of course, they don't always get it right as Michael Fish showed us, for those who are old enough to remember...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"