Justice system faces collapse, supreme court warns

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Justice system faces collapse, supreme court warns

Post by Paphos Life »

The Supreme Court on Tuesday warned that the justice system faces imminent collapse unless a reform drive goes through now as a broad meeting of stakeholders was held at the presidential palace to discuss legislation pending before parliament on the reforms....

Read the article and chat about it below...
PW in Polemi

Re: Justice system faces collapse, supreme court warns

Post by PW in Polemi »

Would be good if they would set up a small claims system.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That was talked about a few years ago, probably pre Covid. I think it was the President himself- a lawyer, who said that a Small Claims Court would be a good step forward. This would separate cases where small sums of money were involved, from the other more serious cases which were presently being delayed, held up from appearing in court. As courts were very busy dealing with all cases.

Seems logical to me!
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have only ever participated in one court case here.. I was sued for up to 20,000 euros..
BUT I had to attend court maybe around 6 times at an appointed time. At the beginning whilst waiting outside the court I was told that the date and time had been moved forwards. But myself and the Lawyer had to be there and I had to pay the lawyer.
The last time I was there we did actually get into the court room, and it was suggested that we each pay our own lawyers and call it quits, ie finish the case.
I was out of pocket around 1,500 euros, but a lot of worry was off my mind.
What a waste of time all those visits were
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

I had a similar experience when I had to give witness to a traffic accident 2 years after the fact. After having waited for half a day for the trial to open I was sent home as the case had been shifted to another date. So I had to sacrifice another half a day. Next time I might think twice before stepping forward as a witness.
Paul

Post by Paul »

There is a court case involving a hit and run which is still going on from 2015.
I know this as I was a witness to seeing the damaged car and driver.
It's over 2 years since I gave my evidence in court and the case is still not finished!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That really is a crazy situation that should never happen.. It certainly is time that the system was altered
Trev..